Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Can anyone Retard my Timing??

Garryg

OK...Had the car inthe garage a couple of times now.. and they have come to the conclusion it is "Pinking".

I have been running on 98...and have also tried an octane boost. The garage has said to retard the timing a few degrees and this may help...

Only thing is this seems to be a temporary fix, as if the battery is disconnected it will revert back to what it is now.... and of course with it being electrical, it is not covered under my "Mechanical" Warranty (Sh#t)!

I have been quoted $950 for remap and Dyno from another garage, but I'm just wondering if this would be the same...(ie a permanent remap, or temporary)?? If this is a permanent fix...I don't mind paying the money!

Does anyone out there have the knowledge and equipment to adjust this for me?

Cheers

How often does do you get a flat battery?? - once every couple of years

Unfortunate thing that these cars are spec'd to run 100 octane fuel and our fuel isnt up to the task

Try some C-16 :)

Get the dealer to set ign retard to 5deg

This all but cures the issue

The issue which is a little throttle detonation, doesnt harm the bearings as it occurs during such light load

Det under full load is what kills bearings

Hi mate

This might sound a bit stupid because its such a small thing to check

but My car was also detonating quite a bit.

Then someone told me to just check in what condition the sparkplugs are and if their gaps are to small or too big.

Ended up the gaps were a little too big and It was pinging.

So while i was at it, I got brand new platinum plugs and reduced the gap to about 0.8 and it was all sweet! no more detonation.

Got in touch with the guy who would do the remap & Dyno today....

It is a reflash and will be permanent. He also said that this will resolve my current issues....

& Conrad, the plugs have been highlighted from the garage, so this may be an option....

Cheers

I have a similar low rpm pre boost pinking issue in my bg gtb. 2 auto sparkies and a run on the select monitor at subaru and still no joy, so I am keen to try re-gapping my plugs. It has nkg platinums in it, would gapping them to .8 possibly work for me? (sorry to hijack)

same problem here. Might try new plugs and see if it makes a difference before splashing out on a reflash.

Interestingly, NZEFI in Christchurch quoted me about $600 for a dyno'd reflash to cure this problem. The full dyno tune was more like $1100.

Both cheaper than a BEB I guess..

Ok heres my 2cents worth stop using platinum plugs they are crap and are not an upgrade for turbo cars.

Iridium are proven in turbo cars have essentially a 5000 volt gain in ignition spark and stop detonation.

This has been dyno proven over and over again and has cured detonation in my experience with subies

Heres and intereasting link to read.

http://www.automedia.com/Iridium_Spark_Plugs/pht20010101ds/1

A further thought to my Pinking issue???

When I first got the car it certainly wasn't noticable.... The only thing thats changed from then, was the actator in the rear muffler!! It was noticed that the cable to operate this had been removed, so therefore wasn't opening when accelerating?

The garage therefore jammed it fully open.......would this slight change if the exhaust flow make any difference to the detonation while accelerating??

Garryg said:

A further thought to my Pinking issue???

When I first got the car it certainly wasn't noticable.... The only thing thats changed from then, was the actator in the rear muffler!! It was noticed that the cable to operate this had been removed, so therefore wasn't opening when accelerating?

The garage therefore jammed it fully open.......would this slight change if the exhaust flow make any difference to the detonation while accelerating??

Nah, thos mufflers have that system to give higher flow under boost, the ECU opens it under load, you know.... so the engine breaths easier etc, so having it open all the time wont do any harm, its more like having a big bore muffler with higher flow but not the noise