Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

RELATED TO: Warning System - DRAFT guidelines

Maybe its due to the lack of a set amount of rules on what a mod can and cant do. I'm sure if the role had more clear outlines and people who got the position got given the respect due to them maybe those names would start coming forth?

My vote goes to getting a list of mod rules set up from what we want them to have powers to do (primarily keeping the peace and keeping the forums clean and scum free). Then we can discuss who gets the said roles.

Personally I think if the role is clear more people would feel prepared to front up.

Maybe sticky a list of those guidelines for the rest of us to be able to see. Should put a few peoples minds at rest and maybe we could discuss what could possibly be added/removed from said guidelines

matdaymon said:

Maybe sticky a list of those guidelines for the rest of us to be able to see. Should put a few peoples minds at rest and maybe we could discuss what could possibly be added/removed from said guidelines

with out flamage - I'll try to draft a set. These are my interpretation so far and up for discussion

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Area Reps and Mod responsibilities to be split

Area Reps

*Should not have mod access to the main boards, but for their area only..

*These mods should have access to the "Mods and Area Reps" board where they can request or post up info as required.

This sits in line with Area Reps as Event organisers.

Mods

Mods should be divided into a logical structure.

I personally suggest the head admin sits at the top but also suggested is the club captain.

Then you have committee members who have global mod rights,

Under that is techincal mods who are given moderation rights across areas of the technical sections.

and Area reps who stated above have mod rights to their respective area Boards.

• Guidelines for Post moderation
    A moderator should request in the first instance via a PM to a user that they change their own post.
    (this is case dependant and sometimes requires immediate intervention)
    either resolution is reached or Mod will moderate/delete post.
    Mod shouldnt have to PM a user at this stage saying a post was mod/deleted.
  • Guidelines for Issuing of Warnings
    Mod should issue points to a user..
    In the email the offending action should be quoted (as links to posts often get moved) and why they got the points in a common sense manner, not quoting those silly pre-made emails that come from the system.
    (this is my opnion) At this point i dont feel the mod shouldn't have to put their name on the bottom of the email sent out.
    *note* also points can be issued silently without a user knowing - This has merits on occasion, and is has been used to stop a user posting in the short term, and has been reversed within 24h.

My feeling is that mods are able to issue warnings.. the technical mods are there just to keep the tech section in line and things be reffered. again (my interpretation thus far)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Im sure i have missed points but these can be added.

Showing how little i know.....

To make it easier for all mods and everyone, can there not be a pop up box that comes up as the Mod clicks save after editing a post (i assume it works the same as when i ninja my own???) that they have to put in a reason for the edit/deletion, that then gets sent out to both the mod the user and someone else?

They can also put in that note how many points were given etc. They can put a link to the thread/post in there message as well.

*if you can see this Joker was here - original text unaltered*

A mod simply ticks a box that gives them ability to add an email to the user..

Thus in there they can put the details you have mentioned - all good ideas, and i can create some tempaltes to reflect that.

There is a back end report we can view to see who was given what warning for how many points and who issued it, and the email sent to user if they wrote one.

thus i think the point your eluding to is that an email is mandatory when warning issued, with a link to offending material?

funkytown said:

thus i think the point your eluding to is that an email is mandatory when warning issued, with a link to offending material?

Put simply yes.

Doesn't need to be a long email explaining a life story

"swearing removed from post, 10 points issued"

"Derogoratory post removed, 60 points issued and may god have mercy on your soul"

or exactly what joker did but with the points noted in there

• General Member
 CMPLSV said:

a mods word should be final. around here, a mod is second guessed at every turn by forum members and its b*llsh*t..

end of my 2c on the topic, because anything else i say wont get listened to anyway.

oh dont you worry I wish that was true and applied here

JoKer']

[quote name='CMPLSV said:

a mods word should be final. around here, a mod is second guessed at every turn by forum members and its b*llsh*t..

end of my 2c on the topic, because anything else i say wont get listened to anyway.

/quote]

yer also agreed.. Was going to add this origionally but thought it be best brought up from general audience.

JoKer']

[quote name='CMPLSV said:

/quote]

The mod is final, or the won't say anymore, BADUM KISH(drum noise lol)

As i mentioned in the other thread a mod without respect is nothing. There are mods who have a huge amount of respect and surely get things done a lot better.

I don't see how someone fresh out of diapers (younger people) can be expected to control a group of members that don't respect them.

I agree fully with Turtle. You really have brought up some good points today.

And CMPLSV has proved again why she shouldn't have ever had moderator rights. If someone (everyone?) is second guessing you every time you try to make a stand, then surely you must realise that the group didn't respect your decisions??

can we not have personal digs against CMPLSV..

and Becca can you make your points less pointed please. We are trying to be constructive here..

Right - unconstructive posts removed.

ok quit it!! please on topic about things that will help mods, this isnt about one person in particular

CMPLSV said:

..... yea well like i keep saying - if the 2 mods that agreed with me when i issued the warnings would come forward none of this would be happening.

This brings me to the POINT i am trying to make.

If Dane or Dave, or Ian or anyone else with some experience and some wisdom on there side issues a warngin it sticks.

If the newbie mods issue a warning they don't have the same stick behind it.

There should be some anonymity with the moderation too. Just cause someone's a n00b or not respected, doesn't mean they don't know a bad post when they see it.

Maybe when points are issued, it should be put up in the mod section to be approved. if you get another mod or two to say "yep, that deserves some points" then they are issued. Allot of sh!t fights would have been averted if so and so didn't know specifically who gave them a warning.

........ everyone in the club, should be respected to a certain point... sure you have to gain MORE respect, but people around here dont have any resepect or even common curtosy (spelling) towards others full stop.

This is my last post in here as ive been asked to stop, but hey, maybe you could all think about the way you treat people that know "less" than you but want to learn...

ReubenH said:

There should be some anonymity with the moderation too. Just cause someone's a n00b or not respected, doesn't mean they don't know a bad post when they see it.

Maybe when points are issued, it should be put up in the mod section to be approved. if you get another mod or two to say "yep, that deserves some points" then they are issued. Allot of sh!t fights would have been averted if so and so didn't know specifically who gave them a warning.

yer this is a good point.. but sometimes time is of the essence to stop a user posting

Ok so now the n00b mods have had their say, really should get back to the discussion of how to figure out who would be good Mods, with the future of the club at the forefront of their minds and whose statements would carry some weight rather than being tossed aside.

Should we start putting in suggestions or should that all really wait till after the meeting?

Koom said:

Ok so now the n00b mods have had their say, really should get back to the discussion of how to figure out who would be good Mods, with the future of the club at the forefront of their minds and whose statements would carry some weight rather than being tossed aside.

Should we start putting in suggestions or should that all really wait till after the meeting?

surely names can be put forward.. but no nominations held.. The nominated person.. should accept or not, then the new committee picks from there?... I dunno

TURTLE']

[quote name='funkytown said:

surely names can be put forward.. but no nominations held.. The nominated person.. should accept or not, then the new committee picks from there?... I dunno

/quote]

I Concur

I also Concur (does anyone else think of the movie "Catch Me If You Can" anytime someone mentions Concurring with a statement?? Or is it just me?

I think that this is the type of thing that shouldn't really be left completely up to a popularity vote as that clearly hasn't worked in the past couple of years for a few of the nominations.

Some sort of voting in a nominations thread to guage the overall group's preference though??

Koom said:

I also Concur (does anyone else think of the movie "Catch Me If You Can" anytime someone mentions Concurring with a statement?? Or is it just me?

YES, I do haha. thats where i learned the word.

Will have a think about it, the few people who I do think would make great mods, i don't think would want to do it.

TURTLE']

[quote name='Koom said:

I also Concur (does anyone else think of the movie "Catch Me If You Can" anytime someone mentions Concurring with a statement?? Or is it just me?/quote]

YES, I do haha. thats where i learned the word.

Will have a think about it, the few people who I do think would make great mods, i don't think would want to do it.

yup - hence why i think they have to accept. Mods need to be present about the place - known if you will