Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Random drop in power issue/rebuild needed

viperguy

howdy all,

rather than have an informative thread in the parts wanted section, I'll bring the discussion here regarding my suspected fuel pump/fuel system related issues:

Start Text:

it'll just feel like it suddenly lost power, then it will just as quickly come right after a random length of time ~ roughly a minute or so if i had to guess

the engine doesnt rev cut like its in limp mode, no codes have shown up, vacuum isnt doing anything out of the ordinary, doesnt shake or anything like its missing a cylinder....my other thought was possibly the turbo starting to seize up,

worst i noticed it was stopped at the lights, the idle was dropping down to nothing then jumping back up then back to nothing, I had to give it a little gas to keep the revs up to stop it from stalling, but stopped at another sets of lights it will idle beautifully...it also only seems to show up on long drives at this stage, if i just drive in to work in the morning it will be fine, but a drive out of town seems to start it up

popping the bonnet and giving it some revs, it just purrs away, can hear the turbo spinning ok, so really just starting at the back and working forward :)

• 2 weeks later...

well I solved the drop in power issue by stupidly running a bearing last night when my throttle got stuck and resulted in the car bouncing off the rev limiter for a few seconds while i was fumbling under the dash for the damn turbo timer kill button ::) if i was clever i should have just stalled it but who thinks clearly when somethings going wrong like that :'( the car has 171k's on the clock so it was obviously the straw that broke the camels back

not badly hurt by the sounds, just nunga's while it cranks over on cold starts while it builds oil pressure, and under light throttle it appears sometimes as a faint rattle

so rebuild options, quick question, do you really need to forge the motor to get ~220kwatw

since you can get a new shortblock for 1880 +gst from possum bourne motorsport, or a forged version for 3880 + gst

obviously well worth the extra 2 grand, but is it really necessary if tuned properly and safely?

car is a 1997 gf8

anyone had any experience with a guy on trademe selling rebuilt engines, goes by the name "innotech" ? He has some V7 sti block based engines on there at the moment

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Car-parts-accessories/Subaru/Engines/auction-332642954.htm

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Car-parts-accessories/Subaru/Engines/auction-332642955.htm

i would love to just be able to drop a longblock in

You can get 220kw with the right supporting mods on a stock engine running a VF22 we have done this plenty of times.

It all depends what your plans are for the car as to if you need to spend the extra on forging the bottom end.

GETLOW said:

You can get 220kw with the right supporting mods on a stock engine running a VF22 we have done this plenty of times.

It all depends what your plans are for the car as to if you need to spend the extra on forging the bottom end.

plan so far seems to be the v7 sti shortblock + v3/4 sti heads at this stage, should be plenty to keep me happy once i throw a Link at it

viperguy']

[quote name='GETLOW said:

/quote]

plan so far seems to be the v7 sti shortblock + v3/4 sti heads at this stage, should be plenty to keep me happy once i throw a Link at it

tis what i have in a forged format but the basics are the same for you and managing 278kw on the factory v3sti heads.

• 4 weeks later...

guys that guy on trade me "innotech" also got a fully closed deck short block, aftermarket internals good for probably just over 300 320kw with the right bolt ons.

he also builds custom rebuilds, he built mine and it made it to 365kw and now hes doing more work to it so we can go over 400kw this time so he knows whats to do.

he also built the motor in that pink subi that was at meremere a few weeks ago ran a 12.1 and that is all factory internals not even sti made 240kw.

if you gana go with the v7 block i recon you can get around 260 270kw out of it.

"innotech" = Warren =0211555737