Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Are the Early H6's OK

DRFVDR

Ok guys, I am looking at Legacy's with the H6 in it has to be auto and "family" and to be true not fussed with another turbo car :)

So I cant quite stretch to the 2004+ models(although these are the ones i like) only have <10k to spend,do we know of any issues with these earlier H6 cars(will probably end up with an Outback as they seem to be the most common )

Thanks

Demo

from my research with my EZ30R project there are 2 main types of H6 and someone correct me if im wrong:

EZ30D: 2999cc DOHC, 220ps (161 kW) @6000rpm, 289Nm@4400rpm. Bore 89.2mm, Stroke 80mm. Compression 10.7:1. This version uses one exhaust port per head, a cable throttle, variable intake geometry, cast aluminium intake manifold, and has a 6500rpm rev limit. It was only available with an automatic transmission. Found in the 2000-2002 Outback H6 and Legacy Lancaster 6.

EZ30R: 2999CC DOHC, 245ps (180 kW) @6600rpm, 297Nm@4200rpm. Bore 89.2mm, Stroke 80mm. Compression 10.7:1. This version had one exhaust port per cylinder, a drive-by-wire throttle, a black plastic intake manifold, VVL and AVCS. It was available in manual and automatic unlike the old EZ30D. Found in the 2003-2009 Legacy 3.0R, Outback 3.0R and 2006-2008 Tribeca.

and then there was the EZ36D but unless your looking at 2010 legacy or outbacks ill leave that out.

i would get the 3.0R if i had the moneys but of course thats the big thing. The old EZ30D is still a good engine just doesnt have VVL or AVCS and since u are wanting auto then it should be all good in the hood.

dacerx said:
EZ30D: Found in the 2000-2002 Outback H6 and Legacy Lancaster 6.

And the GT30, and the RS30

The issue with the EZ30R is that it's tough to get an ECU for em, due to the immobilisation shit they stuck in em, so 30R's tend to get paired with links, on this club at least.

The EZ30D is a much easier conversion pretty much. Well, that's about as much as i know.

FWIW, we had an early H6 Lancaster, and it was excellent. Bought it with 200,000km and sold it with 310,000km six months ago. No problems with the drivetrain other than a self-induced h/g leak after my wife inadvertently overheated it. The radiator had developed a sudden leak and she hadn't been watching the temp gauge . . .

I pulled the heads off myself and had them hardness-tested and planed, and had the valves and valve-seats re-faced. While I was in there I replaced the camchains and tensioners, as well as the valve stem seals. The interesting thing was that there was no appreciable wear, and it appeared that with regular servicing the engine would easily crack 500,000km+ without raising a sweat. I was impressed.