Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

V7 HIDs bulbs a bit yellowish

nickch

Hey,

I've got the JDM factory V7 HID lights on my WRX, and I've noticed that they are quite white when you just turn them on.

But they turn yellow in colour after a few minutes.

Am looking at changing the bulbs, but it looks like its really hard to get them out, so I'm unsure or what to look for.

Can anyone point me to an example of replacement bulbs for them?

http://www.narva.co.nz/products/browse/hid-globes-ballasts

There are two main types of factory HID bulb, according to the Narva/Hella distributor - they deal with a lot of OEM stuff...

D2S and D2R

Pull the plastic cover off, twist anticlockwise, carefully remove the HV leads...the bulbs clips in place. Use extreme care: they are about $220-250RRP, a LOT cheaper with trade (of course).

on my plastice cover there was a screw holding it in place so you couldnt just twist it. this was my BH5 so not sure if yours will have teh screws.

-smurff

it has the ballast screwed on the back of the assembly, has the bright orange sticker with some japanese writing on it with (H.I.D) in one sentence..

so am pretty sure..

it does flicker on like a typical HID different to how halogens turn on, if you know what I mean..

• 4 weeks later...
  • Admin

Was there any conclusion to this? When I turn on my V7 lights they're really white but within a little while they also go quite yellow - unlike my friend's new Honda which stays a nice white all the time.

Is this even a fault?

big difference from standard OEM ones..

sorry I didn't take any pictures.. but I'll try to describe it best I can.

The bug-eye HID uses D2R from factory.

The replacement bulbs I got were labelled D2S, but they fit just the same.

1) Take off the air intake trim over the front of the driver's side headlight.

dXGRu.png

2) Take of the front grill.

This was a bit tricky.

I worked one side at a time.

You need a long flat head to unclip the bottom clips (one each side).

Then use a flat head to unclip the 2 top clips.

Repeat on the other side and the grill should just pop out.

vHzjS.png

3) Remove plastic trims beside the grills.

There should be three (3) plastic trim locks.

Flathead to pull the center lock out.. and pop out the clips.

There should be two on top and one at the bottom behind the plastic piece (hence why you remove the grill first for access to this clip).

48TjJ.png

4) 3x 10mm bolts to take off the headlight assembly.

One on top, and two behind the plastic trim that you removed before.

5) Unplug and take headlight assembly out.

This was abit tricky.

Detach the electrical connectors from the headlight assembly.

Will need a bit of wriggling with care not to scratch your bumper or break the clips.

6) For the HID headlamps, there are 4* philips screws attaching the back cover onto the asembly.

Remove these screws, and you should see the HID and the HID connector.

7) Twist off the hid connector.

8) The bulb is afixed to the housing like normal halogen bulbs.

Metal spring-type prongs on the base of the bulb. Should be rather self explanatory once you get to it.

9) Replace bulbs.

10) Assembly is reverse of disassembly.

Tip: I found that while doing both sides, in my eagerness to reassemble it, I forgot to put the cap (the one attached with 4* philips screws) back and had to take the headlight assemblies back out.. ><

yeah.. took me about 45-50 minutes for both sides...

i know that with higher temp bulbs, light output tends to get lower..

this is noticeable in the rain.. yellow bulbs are more visible in harsh weather..

8000k bulbs seem to be the best tradeoff (whiteness vs output)..

12000k bulbs look almost blueish => purple...

nlAAr.jpg

4wQ6N.jpg

AufDp.jpg

i was aiming for pure white..

so, was contemplating on 6000k but settled for 8000k and i reckon i made the right decision..

pappu said:

i heard somewhere that the 12k oned are illegal?

there is not exact statement saying 12000K ones are illegal.

guidelines are that headlamps must be white or amber (or somewhere in between).

and that higher temperature bulbs will end up looking blue-purple violates this point.

but its pretty much a grey area..

pappu said:

Where did u get such detailed instructions to remove the fronts grill and lite assembly bro? I need something Like that for removing the front bumper if u have a link for it pls do post up bro

12k is almost purple in colour.

I didn't have to take the whole light assembly out. Just removed intake and battery. Oh, and stubby screwdriver of course helped.

I looked at the cheaper ones on TM but had heard of some very dodgey ones available so went with the Narva. And needed some lube when they told me the price :)

would be keen to find out if yours give you any dramas or are sweet as.

Semi off topic: does anyone know how to stop the bloody glass going milky, for want of a better word? Really makes it look untidy.

Yeah. For the price it was worth a try. I know proper OEM brands are rather pricey.

Have had the bulbs in the car for a week now.

No dramas so far.

I normally give the headlights a buff with some rubbing compound. This works in cleaning it. However, haven't found a way to prolong the effects.

pappu']

Yea hate the milky look makes it look mega bad. I was told by some ppm that it's on the inside but u say it's on outside ay bro. Might try the rubbing compound thing. Which one do u use

Can't remember.. any rubbing compound should work..

the one I have is a paste type.. and it feels a bit gritty when you rub on your fingertips..

then i finish it off a second time with cut and polish..

[quote name='pappu said:

Where did u get such detailed instructions to remove the fronts grill and lite assembly bro? I need something Like that for removing the front bumper if u have a link for it pls do post up bro

Link to impreza manuals: URL=http://ken-gilbert.com/impreza-manuals]http://ken-gilbert.com/impreza-manuals[/url]

You're after the 2002 manuals as that's the year the bugeyes got to the US.

The pics I took last night still showed the lights to be a bit yellowish, and it does not actually look that way IRL.

I think theres a bit of lens flare of some sort causing it to look like that.. ><

pappu said:

Yea hate the milky look makes it look mega bad. I was told by some ppm that it's on the inside but u say it's on outside ay bro. Might try the rubbing compound thing. Which one do u use

pretty much any cut will do the trick. The problem is having to redo the trick a week later. PITA.