Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Silicone Intake

Hi everybody.

I'm interested in getting one of those M&H silicone intakes off trademe for my V6.

I've had a search on here and other forums regarding installing it but haven't found a lot.

It seems it is possible to get it in without removing the intake manifold and without destroying the factory pipe; has anyone done it? Or better yet, any pics?

Cheers

Guest S T  E Y E

na man u have to take it off....its easy to take off any way...

i put a m&h silicone intake on mine...made a good difference..

at the same time i removed the pipe work for the carbon canister as it gets in the way...had to give the fuel hoses a slight tweek...nothing major though and easy to do.....

its a tight fir cos its a dam huge pipe...well worth it though

You have to take the intake manifold off to get the turbo inlet off intact. Otherwise, I agree, just pull it and snap the fitting. Those silicon ones can be a mission to get on though. Mine was a really tight fit, and not much space around the edges to get the breather hose back on. I've got the AVO one, which is the only one-piece extended silicon pipe which goes all the way to the airbox.

Guest S T  E Y E

i run the m&h one...just had to cut maybe 5-10mm off the silicone for the breather right by the turbo...fitted without cutting it but fitted alot better with cutting it...

only other thing was the ring they supplied inside the afm was pointless..if u run the standard pipe to the afm u just need a piece of 3 inch tube to slip inside the alloy (so it protrudes out) so u can then slip the other pipe on to clamp er on...other than that its straight forward...it is a tight fit but not that hard...

i highly and i mean highly doubt u would fit the huge silicone pipe in without removing manifold

Guest S T  E Y E

yea the difference being there 1 big less hose to hook up?? would make it a tiny piece easier to fit in...but still same process...

ver 5-6

http://www.oakos.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=PSP-INT-420BK

ver 3-4

http://www.motorhoses.co.uk/product_info.php?pName=subaru-wrx-silicone-turbo-intake-induction-gc8-9698black

its basicly the same pipe less the aicv hose yeah?? that makes bugger all diference fitting them...i too have done both a v3 and a v6... exact same process

Lots of replies, thanks everyone.

Seems the consensus is it's much easier to just take the manifold off.

Will I need a new gasket or is it likely to stay in one piece?

S T E Y E said:

only other thing was the ring they supplied inside the afm was pointless..if u run the standard pipe to the afm u just need a piece of 3 inch tube to slip inside the alloy (so it protrudes out) so u can then slip the other pipe on to clamp er on...

STEYE, can you clarify what you're talking about here? I understand the factory 'flexi pipe' is used; does the intake come with a connection ring which is no good? So i'll need a piece of 3" pipe?

Guest S T  E Y E

shouldnt need new gaskets...i didnt replace mine they were fine...just dont wreck them taking the manifold off..

yes check the inside...i used a steak knife of all things to remove the "dags" ...nothing major at all...

were the standard flexible pipe goes onto the standard intake under the manifold the flexi one goes over the standard intake under the manifold...(slips over than clamps)...get what i mean??

the silicone one has a ring inside..its not long enough to clamp to the silicone and protrude out so the flexi can slip on...

sorry bout how i explain things but does it make sense???

to combat this i got a 3 inch tube aprox 40-50mm long and slipd it inside the silicone..clamped it on and had enough protruding to slip the flexi over and clamp it on there... i can get a pic if u need to know more bro??

Yes, I read a previous post about the dags, cheers.

STEYE, I've got what you mean this time, thanks.

On on, I'll make the purchase tonight. I'll take a couple of photos of the install so if anyone else comes along later it'll make explaining more simple.

I have had both, both being m&h. the v3/4 has the iscv part on it. the v5/6 does not have this.

The v3/4 ones have a much larger main body and are a lot harder to fit. you have to take the manifold off. the v5/6 is much smaller in the main body and you may be able to fit with out taking off the manifold. If you plan to block off any of the vents in it do it properly, don't jam a bolt in, go to para rubber and get some grommets, pull out the alloy fitting and put the grommet in with super glue, if you want to put the alloy back in later the grommet is easy to remove even with superglue helping to hold it.

14666397a12191177337l.jpg

and here you can see the grommets i used

14666397a12307294842l.jpg

and the v5/6 one

154212_472667232197_507372197_5880777_47

156787_472667177197_507372197_5880774_51

It is a good upgrade from standard, I do like the make up of the 3/4 one more than the 5/6 in the sizing but the 5/6 has the alloy fittings fitted better.

• 2 weeks later...

Got the M&H Intake pipe into the car yesterday and today.

I did the throttle body coolant bypass and made myself an I/C water sprayer at the same time.

All up about 10 hours in the garage and bugger me it was hot in the Manwatu. Sweat was pouring.

I'll put up some pics and a bit of a DIY soon but basically...

1. Would I do it again? Yes, but only if the factory pipe was buggered.

2. How hard was it? Above average garage skills required IMO. It's not easy and it would pay to know a bit before tackling this job.

3. Do you need to remove the intake manifold? Yes. It's impossible to fit this thing to a V6 without removing the manifold. The fuel lines and brackets lock the new pipe into place with negative clearance.

4. Is it a good product? It's ok. I didn't have the casting dags that other guys have talked about in mine however, crank breather tube pulled out of the intake when I first hooked it up. The sealant used is not good enough and crumbles. CAUTION: bits of this stuff can't be good for your turbo. I cleaned it out and resealed.

5. Did it fit properly? No. I had to trim approx 15mm from the turbo end to fit. And it's a bastard of a job to fit, particularly when solo I think. Got it in eventually though. NOTE: your factory turbo inlet hose clamp probably won't fit. I used a bigger one to save mental anguish. The MAF end was fine however. STEYE mentioned having to use some pipe to link the product to the MAF flexi hose; that's not required, it's a tight fit but you can get the flexi hose around the outside of the product no worries.

6. Anything you'd do different? Aim to take the manifold off from the beginning. Drain your coolant first (oversight because of intention to leave manifold on). Remove more parts earlier; the more room you have the easier it is (ie Alternator and Power Steering pump and bracket). Do it on a cold day and get a friend to help!

6. Any gains? I think so. I like the sound of the turbo whistling as it spools up, it's not too loud. Throttle response feels awesome, engine braking feels different and my blipping the throttle when downshifting is all out of whack (like when A/C is on) so there's definitely a change there. I haven't caned it yet as I've only driven it to work this afty and was being cautious post reassembly. I'll let you know during the full write up but it feels good.

7. Anything else? I'm glad I ripped into it. It's the first 'big' job I've done on the rex so was a little nervous bit my confidence is back up where it should be in the DIY aspects. I'm also glad I did it because I found a bunch of torn vacuum hoses that needed replacing. The idle quality is also very good now, it was a bit up and down before the job. Unusually, higher too, up from 800RPM to 900RPM normal.

If you read all that, you deserve a beer. I know I do.

Cheers

Guest S T  E Y E

cool man..

on mine the flexi would never fit on the outside...v3 though

Mine did defonatly create more turbo spool sound plus alot better throttle response and i reach full boost earlier