Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

96 wrx engine rebuild

Hi .

ok i think i will be better off getting my WRX to somebody that can remove my engine and then basically open it up and fix it . It seems that the previous owner rebuilt the motor but went cheap as fark . (was done via insurance so i am sure it would have been done cheap as ;D )

currently it has 8K on the rebuilt motor and it has some niggling problems. (intermittant CEL - no error codes , few small oil leaks , had water leak (first heater core blew , then 2 other leaks) , silicon exhaust gasket and a few more things cant remember now) .

I had a compression test done and it came back fine , and it is running currently . (it is smoking a bit but this might be from the diesel episode as it did NOT smoke before that )

Is there anybody here that can do this and/or can recommend a place i can go to get a quote ?

Would this be a good option or is there a better way to do this ? I just want to have 100% confidence in the motor ,currently i dont have too much. Is it better getting something like this done before the motor gets damaged or should i just drive it till it goes BANG ?

currently it feels like i am spending lots of little amounts of $$$ regularly ... i would rather spend a bit $$$ and know the motor is 100%

thanks for any help and info .

Guest S T  E Y E

u might as well go the hole hog bro...keep ur car running and buy a cheap rs/gt closed end deck...and get it rebuilt with sti forged pistons and v3 heads etc...all new acl bearings and sti metal headgaskets etc...then she be bullet proof

1 option is to buy a complete shortblock from Subaru,currentl i think they are around 3k.

If you buy pistons etc & have someone bore it out & have them assemble it,you'l probably be up for more than that.

I can offer to recondition the cylinder heads but im in Wgtn but CS memebers are frequently travelling between Wgtn & Aklnd.

well i made it back from the trackday ..barely... blew a cooling hose (AGAIN!) and sonce yesterday the motor refuses to boost anything over 9psi ... the moment boost goes over that it feels like car is hitting rev limiter and just bogging down . Farken shit ! as this was/is running 14.5psi easily . maybe my scoobie just does not like hamptons >:( . was no fun plodding around boosting 8-9 psi :'(

anyway , i have decided to either buy a motor from Speed Source or definately get this one done RIGHT !

currently looking to get some quotes .

i dont want the meanest fastes motor , but currently every lap i complete i say a little prayer ;D . I jhust want something that i can trust .

thaks for all the advice as well guys . much appreciated.

Are you not able to assemble the engine yourself?

That would save you quite a bit of labor cost . apart from getting heads checked and possibly machining work if your going oversized pistons then its not all that difficult to assemble yourself and change seals, o-rings, stem seals ect.

the only hard part i found was getting the ring gaps where the diagram said they should go.

snapped a ring to lol .

was probably a year and a half ago i rebuilt mine . Cost around $2200

with rs closed deck block, je forgies, acl berings, gen subaru metal head gaskets (VERY IMPORTANT) in my opinion.

haha i wish i could do it myself (would probably still be better than my current motor ;) )

give me a pc and i can fix it , or anything pc related , building a 200+KW motor , why i think not sir ;D

I would love to learn a bit , but i have no space for anything like this at home neither do i have all the right tools .

• 2 weeks later...
 gorak said:

haha i wish i could do it myself (would probably still be better than my current motor ;) )

give me a pc and i can fix it , or anything pc related , building a 200+KW motor , why i think not sir ;D

I would love to learn a bit , but i have no space for anything like this at home neither do i have all the right tools .

We can build an engine for ya.How much are you lookin to spend?

Or to put it another way.how much power are you wanting?

We can put a package together that suits you.

using your old motor as a donor.

Will be a strong reliable engine 20K warrantie (20,000 km that is).

oil changed by us till then.

Thanks