Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Need a bit of help please :)

Hailz

Riteo so I've finally made the decision to sus out some new sounds for my wagon but seeing as this would be the 1st install I've ever done I have a couple q's

Firstly - where do most people put the amp wiring through the firewall on a bg leprasy? I've found a bung beside the clutch pedal that should do the trick, however it is right behind the second turbo dump pipe :( will this be an issue at all with heat ect?

Second - the amp I have picked (Pioneer GM6400F) http://www.pioneernz.co.nz/default.asp?ObjectID=502 is telling me that I need to run two power wires with two fuses and two earth wires - I have no idea what size they need to be and am unsure why it would need to be this way?

Lastly - the above amp I have picked, will it be ok for running a pair of components and an 800watt pioneer sub? From what I can gather it should be ideal, and does anyone bother with that "dynamat" stuff - apparently it makes better sound? but for the price of it I'm finding it hard to justify it.

Many thanks to anyone who can offer some advice :)

Seconded.

Dont run it on the hot side of your engine. I suppose you could protect but id avoid and run it on the passenger side.

Have you thought about doing the battery relocation at the same time as you do your audio?

Dynamat is well worth it the sounds will be way better and less vibrations.

Where are you buying the gear from? They should be able to point you in the right direction as to install.

ODB said:

Seconded.

Dont run it on the hot side of your engine. I suppose you could protect but id avoid and run it on the passenger side.

Have you thought about doing the battery relocation at the same time as you do your audio?

Dynamat is well worth it the sounds will be way better and less vibrations.

Where are you buying the gear from? They should be able to point you in the right direction as to install.

Where is this passenger's side bung? I spent a bit of time last night looking to see what I could find and without taking the a/c unit out from behind the dash im out of options?

And I live in Ashburton where the people behind the counter at ripco, supercheap, smiths city ect barely know what I'm talking about lol

It's the bung where the 2 a/c pipes run through. I've used this in the past and works well.

That amp only has single power and earth inputs so no need to run dual cables for each. Dont know why you would be told that.

And yeah that amp will be fine to run a sub + components.

Dynamat is good, but only if you can justify the expense. You will gain mid-bass from your component woofers by sealing up the large cavities in your doors.

If you want good, personal advice, then go see Paul's Audio in Chch or Timaru, even though both of them are probably a bit of a hike, either direction.

Scoobydoo said:

It's the bung where the 2 a/c pipes run through. I've used this in the past and works well.

That amp only has single power and earth inputs so no need to run dual cables for each. Dont know why you would be told that.

And yeah that amp will be fine to run a sub + components.

Dynamat is good, but only if you can justify the expense. You will gain mid-bass from your component woofers by sealing up the large cavities in your doors.

If you want good, personal advice, then go see Paul's Audio in Chch or Timaru, even though both of them are probably a bit of a hike, either direction.

Thanks mate, what gauge wire should I use do you think? The only reason i said about the whole double wire thing is thats what the manual says to do :(

I would run 4gA for the amp if your going to run a sub.

I have used dynamat before many of times but have found something better. The bg's are terrible for rattling,

Go to a carpet store and get some underlay off cuts, most of them give it away. The new stuff that they use for underlay is really dense but thin and changes the sound alot.

I just glue it onto the door card with some ados and your away laughing. So worth the time and a tin of ados.

Also imo It's always better to run the sub of a separate amp not for power but for separating the sound better. That amp will run the sub and components but you won't be getting the same sound quality that your after.

AND ALSO lol.........

What components are you planning on running? pioneer tweeters won't mount into your factory spots on the door. both kicker and sony tweeters will though.

EVILB4 said:

AND ALSO lol.........

What components are you planning on running? pioneer tweeters won't mount into your factory spots on the door. both kicker and sony tweeters will though.

Hmmm you've now opened a whole new can of wroms for me lol, so if I'm running two amps I have the worry that its going to draw too much from the car and I'll get the "dimming light" effect, how about running 2x GM3300T PIONEER 2 CH AMP obviously one for the front components and the other for the 800watt sub, that way I could mount them under the seats so if need be I can still use my boot - thoughts on that?

And the compnents I've got are those pioneer kevlar composite thingies - yellow in colour (same in the rear), they came with it when I brought it, aparantly they were $400 speakers back in the day. They will now be about 4 years old but they go fine so should do for now I think and the tweeters fit in the wee possie up the top there all good.

And EVILB4 how did you find getting the door cards back on after the underlay went on? I am bloody keen to give it a go thats for sure - might even do the boot in it too if it works!!

The pioneer Kevlar components sound absolutely amazing.

Mounting an amp under each seat is perfect, Just run a 2ga wire from the battery to just before the first amp and then run a splitter and run a power wire to each amp. that way you only have to put one wire through the firewall.

I'm running around 3000w of amps and have absolutely no light dimming I have a relatively new battery but that has jack all to do with it.

Mount the foam on the inside of the door card just fill up all the holes that are there, they went back on perfect straight back on. I filled about 60% then put it back on to test and covered them about 80% in total.

The reason why I am saying to run two amps is to get the best sound quality possible considering the money you already want to spend. By running 2 amps you can control the levels for the speakers and get them to sound EXACTLY how you want them, then add in just the right amount of bass from the sub.

Whats the point of having your $400 components running the same bass output as what your sub is, that completely defeats the purpose.

Don't get me wrong though you will still get a much better sound running everything of the one amp than you would running them off the head unit.

Pioneer make a 5 channel amp, it's a 4 channel speaker amp with another channel made for a sub, that would be another way to go I will get you the part number and price when I go to work tomorrow.

http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/CarAudio/p_23897_Kicker_10ZX7005.aspx

Or there is that beast don't worry about the price its an american site.

You don't have to be entering comps to have a good sound system. People spend thousands and thousands of dollars to make there cars go fast and it never see's a race track.

I spend thousands and thousands of dollars to build amazing sound systems, and they never see a comp (not anymore anyway)

I will be down in CHCH late march early april if you havn't done it by then I can give you a hand with the install. I found some really good wiring hidey holes in the bg lol

Haha yeah I think BG's are pretty good for running wires compared to the newer models. I used to run 4 x 70mm welding cable through the a/c bung, and through the car to my two sub amps and you couldnt even see any of it.

I too know what it's like to run a multi-thousand $$ sound system haha

Hey thanks heaps EVILB4 for the advice :) I do like the idea of running two amps buuuut that pioneer 4 channel has two different RCA inputs (front/sub) and the pioneer head unit I've picked - Pioneer DEH4250SD has three RCA outputs (front/rear/sub) from what I've gathered - correct me if I'm wrong but I should be able to controll the sub and components via the head unit?

I've done the sums and there's not alot of differnece money wise by going two small amps or one bigger one other than one less amp to place somewhere, I'm off to buy the head unit and sub this arvo but will hold off on the amps at this stage :)

Those wee amps will just sqeeze in under the seats there but theres the bloody heater hose in front of where they need to go - thoughts on blowing hot/cold air into or onto an amp?

Sorry for all the questions :)

Hailz said:

Hey thanks heaps EVILB4 for the advice :) I do like the idea of running two amps buuuut that pioneer 4 channel has two different RCA inputs (front/sub) and the pioneer head unit I've picked - Pioneer DEH4250SD has three RCA outputs (front/rear/sub) from what I've gathered - correct me if I'm wrong but I should be able to controll the sub and components via the head unit?

I've got the 4250SD Headunit, great wee thing. I know there's high pass and low pass filters on it, but I'm not sure how the sub control works, seeing as I don't have a sub :(

EDIT: So it says 3 Pre-RCA outs, I count two. front, rear(OR)sub. A bit misleading IMO.

http://www.pioneernz.co.nz/Site/Pronto/Files/user_manuals/DEH4250SDINST.PDF

Yeah you are right you will be able to seperate the sound between the sub and the front speakers on the amp. Just run the components of the front 2 channels and bridge the rear channel for the sub.

I slid my amp under that hose and he just sits on top of the pipe and just blocked it off. my heater doesn't work so didn't have a problem that way lol. But when amps heat up you can smell them they have quite a unique smell (when they are getting hot, not overheating) so you will soon know how everything is going under there by the smell of all things lol.

You will be able to control the level of the sub from the head unit off -3 to +3 If i remember rightly.

but the changes you make to the speakers high mid low ect will affect the sub aswell. Not a big deal tho.

Where are you getting these bits from if I may ask.

thanks for clearing that up bud, mite just stick with the idea of the 4 chanel amp to keep things simple, and at this stage ill be getting the head unit from ripco (100 off at the mo) sub from ripco also probly, amp from smiths city as hopefuly i can get a wee discount, and the cables ect from supercheap or d.s.e, im shopping around thats for sure lol

Are you installing the Headunit yourself or getting a pro?

I say this because you might need to buy a Subaru wiring harness and Pioneer one to hook up the headunit. I got mine from Repco for $16 each, which is cheaper than $40 each from Supercheap..

BUT the Pioneer one doesn't fit on the headunit. I ended up cutting up the harness' and soldering up the cables so I could use the harness that came with the headunit to fit the Subaru one.

AND if you have to go that route, make sure you do not wire up the front speaker cables from the headunit. :)

Yeah good call Tim. Forgot about that part. You need the latest pioneer harness whpn4 is the repco number you want.

If you get the head unit and sub from repco they should knock the harnesses down to 12 without a problem.

Thanks for all your help guys!! I reckon I've got things pretty well sorted - just that our stupid little town doesn't stock allot of stuff so off to Christchurch I shall go!

Are all RCA cables much of a muchness? Uber cheap had a 4g amp wiring kit there ($119 :'() but dunno about using "SCA" branded RCA cables..............