Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

New 3.0R Owner has a question -red key symbol flashing on dash?

Tobycat1

Hi Guys,

I picked up a 03 legacy 3.0r wagon as our new family car . I didnt get an owners manual and noticed that when locked and even unlocked there is a flashing red key symbol on the dash? now as I have only had this car short time could someone confirm what this redlight is for and is it normal to flash continously like this? it does stop when the key in the ignition so i,m guessing its a security thing like those alarm warning lights.The car starts and goes really well.

thanks for your time

Regards

Tobycat

dumbskate said:

Yeah its just telling you...or a thief I guess that the Subaru factory fitted immobiliser is turned meaning that no matter how many screwdrivers they stick in the ignition your 3.0R is going no where without the factory key. Don't loose that key.

+1 :) the key has an imbedded chip in it that is used to immobilise the car when removed :)

Thanks Guys for the replies much appreciated,

GC8EDD, from your comments, sorry to be a pain as this cars not my daily driver but do you know if the immobilizer resets its self after its flashed the number of times a door handle has been touched? its seems to be blinking twice quickly then pause then twice again when the cars locked.

Cheers again

Tobycat

yer mine does that as well toby. probly the 'arming' notification of the immobiliser or something.

I've also noticed if you turn the car off but dont lock it and have the key in the ignition .. i.e still sitting in the car it will flash at your as well. Why it does that i dont know.

funkytown said:

yer mine does that as well toby. probly the 'arming' notification of the immobiliser or something.

I've also noticed if you turn the car off but dont lock it and have the key in the ignition .. i.e still sitting in the car it will flash at your as well. Why it does that i dont know.

It is trying to tell you that u have to take the key out when turn it off and also u shouldnget the fark out of the car:) I AM A CAR NOT A LOUNGE :)

Ok, on second thoughts, I'm not going to give you the full run down - there are about 10 pages on the subject O_o

Some random bits seemingly related to your question.

Theft Deterrent Device

If a door or the boot is opened by a method other than the keyless entry system (which includes the remote control and the security code entry), or if the vehicle is subjected to a strong impact (vehicles with the dealer option impact sensor), the following warning signs will occur to alert the surrounding area of an abnormality.

*) For thirty seconds the vehicle horn will sound and the hazard lights will flash.

Advice

*) After thirty seconds, if the door is still open, the warning will continue to sound for up to three minutes. If the door is closed, the warning will stop after thirty seconds at the most.

*) Once the theft deterrent device is set, it is only possible to unlock the vehicle using the remote control or security code.

Activating the Theft Deterrent Device

Remove the key from the ignition, and close all doors and the boot. Press the lock button on the remote control to lock the vehicle. After a thirty second standby time, the system will enter monitoring mode. When it enters the monitoring mode, the security display light will flash twice. Other methods of locking the vehicle, such as locking the vehicle with the key, or locking the vehicle from inside without the key, will not activate the theft deterrent device.

Sedan Function

With the boot open, press the remote control lock button and the system will enter standby. After approximately thirty seconds of standby time after closing the boot, the system will enter monitoring mode.If the remote control boot button is pressed with the theft deterrent device activated, the system will change from monitoring mode to standby mode.Close the boot to return to monitoring mode.

Advice

*) After locking the vehicle with the remote control button, the system will change to standby mode for approximately thirty seconds. When in standby mode the security display light will flash quickly.

*) If any of the following are performed during the standby period, the system will not enter monitoring mode.

- Unlocking the car using the keyless entry

- Opening any of the doors (including the rear gate)

- Opening the boot

- Turning the ignition ON

*) It is possible to change the duration of the standby period.

*) The theft deterrent device will change to monitor mode even when the automatic locking function is operational.

*) When in monitoring mode, if the battery is flat it will not be possible to unlock the vehicle using the remote control lock or the keyless entry system. In this situation, unlock the key via the door barrel. However, when the battery is recharged or replaced with a new one, it will revert to monitoring mode, so if the door is opened the alarm will activate.

*) When the doors are locked with the remote control or by the automatic locking function, if the door is opened immediately prior to being locked, the alarm will sound.

Turning Off the Monitoring Status of the Theft Deterrent Device

When the remote control unlock button is pressed, or the vehicle is unlocked using the security code, the monitoring status will be turned off. If the ignition is turned ON, it will also turn off (In vehicles with an immobiliser function, if a correctly coded key is not used, the monitoring status will not turn off). When it is turned off, the security display light will turn off, however in vehicles with an immobiliser function, the light will flash slowly. If any other method is used such as unlocking the vehicle with the key, or unlocking from inside without a key, the monitoring status will not be turned off.

Advice

*) When the door is unlocked by placing the key in the door cylinder and turning it, the theft deterrent device will not turn off. If you then open the door, the alarm will be activated.

If you have set off the alarm, press any button on the remote control, or insert the key into the ignition and turn it ON.

Alarm Settings

The theft deterrent device can be set to activated or non-activated. Follow this procedure:

*) Turn off the theft deterrent device

*) Sit in the driver's seat, and close all the doors including the back door.

*) Within ten seconds, turn the ignition switch OFF and ON three times, and stop with it in the ON position.

*) Within ten seconds, open the driver's door and then close it. The current setting will be displayed on the trip meter/ odometer

*) Within ten seconds either

- turn alarm OFF: move the door lock switch to the unlock position (rear) three times. The meter will display [AL OF]

- turn alarm ON: move the door lock switch to the lock position (forwards) three times. The meter ill display [AL ON]

When changing to a new setting a buzzer will sound and the new setting will be displayed on the trip meter/ odometer.

Alarm Activation History

The security display light will flash to alert the driver that the alarm has activated. The number of times it flashes will change according to where the vehicle has been opened, or the degree of impact (for vehicles with a dealer option impact sensor). After the display light has turned on for one second after turning the ignition ON, the display light will flash the following number of times:

*) If a door has been opened (including the back door), it will flash five times.

*) If the boot has been opened, it will flash four times.

*) If it has been subjected to a strong impact, or been impacted multiple times, it will flash twice (vehicles with a dealer option impact sensor).

*) If it has been subjected to a light impact, it will flash once (vehicles with a dealer option impact sensor).

It goes on and on and on. Maybe I should just scan this manual.

• 7 months later...
 webup said:

Juist trying to work out what 3 or 4 beeps means and then it auto locks kinda like auto arming or something.

Was in the car and then walked away and heard a few beeps then the central locking locked the car.

Key was in my pocket.

wow thats really cool :) did it unlock when you walked up to it (or maybe its a time based thing)