Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

So... my front shocks are leaking :(

So I took my car to the mechanic to get steering rack boot + caliper fixed and thought sweet $350 all good.

Get home and read the report properly "Front shocks leaking, need to replace" I'm like shit! "It's all good I got a warranty", Dealer emails me back and says only engine problems are covered In warranty, Yay :(

So my questiion is, Is it worth paying to get 2 new factory front shocks (Not Bilsteins) for a 99 GT VDC Legacy, or should I go back to mag n turbo and take em up on the offer of KYB Shocks + Dobi Lowering Springs for about $1100 fitted (I believe all 4 shocks), And if I do this will it affect the VDC part of the car.

Thanks

http://www.georgestock.co.nz/index.html These guys ?

I'm kinda on a tight budget and never race or take my car on a track, but I've seen some lowered BH5 Legacys recently and I'm getting the urge to lower it since they look so sexy :D

Might go for a drive to the above place their site says they are a importer and distributor so not sure if they sell to public?

Shouldnt pay any more than $110-120 a strut mate... and thats decent stuff like KYB progressives which i think are labelled xcels?

Non adjustable but they have dampers on them which are adjustable. Then some king springs and youll be laughin.

Can get King springs custom made to a specific height if you need them. You car will need to be measured though. Can even spec spring rates ifyour crazy.

If your around Palmy would pay to go see Dave at TSV.

Would I be able to use the factory springs on an aftermarket strut, then work on getting the lowered springs later on?, Mechanic said the springs looked fine, just the actual shock was leaking.

And I'm in Auckland, and the guy at Mag N turbo not to far from me is the only guy in the industry I have made myself known too , so I get discounts sometimes :)

mag n turbo on some things are rippoff artists - on others they dnt have a clue on prices... i got a set of 17" te37s with brand-new rubber for $800 :)

I would look through trademe for some second hand bilstiens off a GTB of your year - been there before - and they feel magic :)

may need to pay someone to shorten the shocks if you are lowering at the same time.

I have some V3 Sti springs here that you could have for not much - have a lot in the FOR SALE section here for other bits being sold and people are really good.

Get your shocks rebuilt and hey presto - you have good as new and lowered for cheap.

PM me if you cant find my listing

I got quoted $950 from mag n turbo for 4 brand new Monro GT shocks + install + wheel allignment

or $550 for just the front 2.

This is keeping my factory springs.

The dealer I got my car from quoted me $145 + GST each for Used Bilsteins + 40 labour per shock , so $813 roughly, for 2nd hand shocks and they took 4 days to do the cambelt and gave me a shitty loan car, Mag n Turbo can do it tomorrow morning in a couple hours

Think I'll go for the Monroe's

Sadly I don't have or have access to a garage, And I'd hate to be outside doing it and it starts pouring with rain and I'm left with a half done job (Auckland, it happens).

$150 for labour and wheel alignment isn't a biggy, and buying Bilsteins off trademe (Saw a set of 4 for about $700) and you can't guarantee the condition, buying them to find out they are poked and you are out of pocket $700.

And with easter weekend I can't guarantee that I'd get them for then, and I'm back at work next week and don't want to have to worry about the shocks poking out on me while driving to work.

I can see where you are coming from it's just I'm way to cautious when buying things off trademe especially high priced items.

Just had a look at trademe all the Bilsteins on there are either off a Sedan or wrong year Wagon, I know the BG Bilsteins don't fit on the BH (Tried :()

Edit: are Bilsteins hydraulic or gas type?

hmmm. i swear it was other way around when i was looking for bilsteins - they were all for BH wagons :P

Bilstiens normally go for under $500 a set - i paid $250-300 for a BG set.

Gdluck with the munroes- let us know how they go! :)

Will do, it's getting done tomorrow morning, all 4 of them, Drop car off at 9am should have it back by lunchtime according to them, Good speed

I'll just keep an eye on out TM for some springs and do them myself later on

Autoline I think it was quoted 260 for KYB Fronts and 160 for KYB Rear, Munroes were 200 for each

The guys at the mag n turbo I go to have always treated me and my car well, and are real helpful never had any problems and get the occassional discount/free thing.

Next up is new brake pads, then down the line lowering springs

boostcut said:

i wouldnt take my wheel barrow to mag and turbo.... check your wheel nuts before you drive off.

Depends which branch it is... the one down here is pretty damn good, they've never stuffed up any of our cars.

I've heard plenty of horror story's from up north though.

Guest boostcut

yeah theyre shocking... a mate got a 2.5 inch exhaust done by them and they charged 900 and the welding was shit. and they painted it with normal paint which caught on fire.... mint one guys!!!

I didn't think mag n turbo even did welding for exhausts, The one I go to sold me the exhaust then went to Pitstop and got them to do the welding.

Anyway Update on Shocks, All done, runs nice, can feel a bit of difference between these gas and my old hydraulic shocks, But with having low profile tyres I'm going to always feel the bumps, They just aren't as bad now :D

On another note the prices on Tein stuff has skyrocketed , Autoline quoted $700 + gst for all 4 springs (not installed), a year ago I got quoted $650 installed for the same thing.

WTB NZ Dollar rising ;s