Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

More power for V7 STI

Hey all just wondering what you all think for the next steps of mods for the car (on a budget to sadly )

I have k and n panel filter

3 inch turbo back exhaust

walbro fuel pump

and custom tune to 22psi no knock etc

gizzmo boost controller

220kw @ the wheels

I don't want to sound like a spoilt child but car goes great but as you all know you get used to the power pretty quick,anything else you guys and girls can recomend. Car has done 130kms and is only a weekend toy.Any help would be great.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well you have done all the easy stuff already. I would suggest a GT3540 turbo if your looking for serious power or maybe a front mount mite get you a little more power if you just want a small boost.

That turbo will see you well into the 300+kw range with the right tune and injectors.

sultan said:

yeah, a front mount is about it, advance the timing a little, make around 230kw. for any more power than that, you're going to have to change a whole heap of expensive stuff

agreed

lunchie']

[quote name='ROYALS STI said:

Thanks for the tips guys. I heard Steve Murch could change the turbo wheel and internals of the factory turbo for more power and a cheaper price.

/quote]

yup that would be one good option.

yeah when ya find out how much can ya post it up been looking at this to

then you'll need to do injectors, pressure regulator, fuel rails, etc, and start to look at twisting the turbo, then ya may as well get a much bigger turbo than uprated vf30... etc etc. can of worms.

220kw on a quick responsive setup like yours is pretty good. personally if i were you, i'd spend the money sticking gas in it and drive it, or slap on a nice set of wheels/suspension or something else if yours doesn't have it already. doing this won't put further strain on your motor which is getting some k's up on it now. :-)

yeah thats the thing with turbo cars.

Once you have done the likes of boost increase intake and zaust there is very little else you can do that wont involve needing a range of supporting engine mods, let alone the clutch and suspension

One thing that hasn't featured much is your intake. It's often neglected and has a lot of potential.

Just chucking a K&N panel in there does f#ck all except mess up your AFM.

For starters I would put the factory paper filter back in and then do the following:

1. Cold air intake from the wheel guard.

2. Secondary intake pipe cut into the front of the air box, below the filter w/ cold feed.

3. Silicone under-manifold intake pipe, which means taking the manifold off, so...

4. Do the throttle body coolant bypass and phenolic spacers to keep things cool.

5. DIY Intercooler water spray using the rear window washer.

6. Wire in a switch to your throttle pedal or whatever you want to activate it.

Everything will cost you less than $500 and you'll get some nice little gains. As much as slapping a cheap FMIC in anyway, and it's easier/cheaper.

the intake bit under the manifold is an awsum idea if u want more grunt bro

basically number 1-4 ion the list above

(u already have the IC spray system so not to worry on that)

and add a front mount in the mix

that should see some more power from the current setup and if in the future u wana upgrade the turbo then the supporting mods are done

altho - whats ur goal - maybe work towards that..

well go on what is the final goal? :)

i reckon what youv got already should be plenty.your motor is starting to get up there with the k's.last thing you wana do is blow your motor.mayb look into a bigger fuel system such as a surge tank and stuff like that.i would asume 220kw is plenty of power for you ;)

I think the general gist of the thread is that if you want more than an extra 20 or so hp you are probably going to end up dropping another 3-5k and removing some of the day to day livability of the car, then again since this is a weekend car I say go for it. The more 300kw sti's the better :)

get ur car dynoed (next one we having - yet to confirm date with robin as he is working some things out )

anyway start from there

do u know what u finally want - if udo then work to than and if u dont then u may just end up spending with no real aim

i have seen 238kw from a modded v7 like the mods i described above

u could push bit more from stock injectors maybe but past that point - as pointed by others its some hefty spend

230kww car is plenty fast on street man

on strait roads u may want more but how abt go on the back raods and see how u feel abt that

better still go to the track and see if u can use all the power as a driver

lots fun to have

personally I would not put a front mount on, this won't gain any power, if anything it will probably lose power.

I did this mod and lost 4 kw atw from 210-206 on my 2000 type ra sti. The lag from the piping is bloody annoying too. Capper tuned the car beofre and after so it was done by someone who knows what they are doing.

ballsrburning said:

personally I would not put a front mount on, this won't gain any power, if anything it will probably lose power.

I did this mod and lost 4 kw atw from 210-206 on my 2000 type ra sti. The lag from the piping is bloody annoying too. Capper tuned the car beofre and after so it was done by someone who knows what they are doing.

so it was on two different dynos? if so your 4kw figure and relating it to FMIC's is null and void.

ballsrburning said:

Disagree.....

I didnt notice f all lag on mine..

Talk to any tuner of race cars or the like and theyl say start pushing ab it more factory power through and/or using on the track fmic is that way to go.

nt_a_foz']

[quote name='ballsrburning said:

/quote]

Disagree.....

I didnt notice f all lag on mine..

Talk to any tuner of race cars or the like and theyl say start pushing ab it more factory power through and/or using on the track fmic is that way to go.

also agree with this with relation to noticable lag. for a TMIC and FMIC work out the length of piping, its diameter and therefore the volume it holds, divide that by the output of the turbo has and you'll see the length of time it takes for air to go from turbo to throttle body is SFA.

in reading through it quickly though i get a flavour that the OP uses this for a road car - and no a track car so perhaps a TMIC has its place if not going for large numbers - but thats just my interpretation.