Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Front brakes... What to do?

FST4RD

I have a 1995 TT Legacy SW and the front brakes are nearing the end of their lives, both pads and rotors

My mate can get me Bendix and Minti (spelling) pads cheap, he just said that I need to know which ones I want.

I can also get Znoelli Rotors cheap as well, $280 for the front pair.

I want brakes that are going to be good for driving around the street and long trips.

Questions I have are:

Which brake pads are going to be the best for my application?

Is it worth getting slotted rotors for what I want? or should I just go for some new standard Subaru ones?

I was going to go to a 4 pot front setup, but I can't bear parting with my factory 16" BBS mags... I really like them! :D

If all you're going to be doing are driving around the street and long trips, ie average road user, OEM rotors and pads are quite sufficient.

If you're more of a spirited driver, then a change of rotors will be good. I would say slotted rotors are good, but most importantly you'd want ones that could withstand the heat/cool cycles so as not to warp as easily.

In terms of good brake pads for both track and street, I've been recommended Ferodo TS2000s. I hear Bendix Ultimates are quite dusty (well.. so are the TS2000s) and they are quite harsh on the rotors.

My car is at the garage at the moment and they've just fitted 4-pots on mine, and the stock 16" WRX rims fit over them with a reasonable amount of clearance. Worth a try with the BBS mags.

I'm having Pagid Blue pads put on the 4-pots, recommended by Steve at Racebrakes. Not sure what the details are, so will need to read up on them more..

Thanks for that.

I just found that hauling up a huge wagon from 100k's a few times heading around the coast of the south island, the brakes were kinda pathetic.

Anyone in Christchurch have some 4 pot front brakes and willing to let me ry a BBS mag on their car?

I think that the 4 pots would be the best.

newsuba said:

Slotted rotors are a waste of time.

Stick with generic Repco/TRW-Lucas.

Pads- TRW/Lucas, Ferodo Formula (TS2000).

And some decent brake fluid- Motul, ELF et al.

Done.

A few posts on brakes on here give this general message.. pads, fluid, decent standard rotors (ie machined and still have life in them)

Flush your brake system out and fill it with decent fluid. the RBF600 or 660 are very highly regarded.

Decent set of pads. TS2000, or Bendix Ultimates if you can get them cheap (have heard more downsides than upside on these)..

The Mintex pads I've seen pop up alot are the Mintex 1166, though going by their catalogue, they might not have any for Subbies.

I got Bendix ultimate in the front, I like em so far, apart from the dust, havent had to stamp on the stop button to hard yet, but they feel good, better than the crap that was on the car when I got it..

Going to do rears soon and then give it some good stomps when they bed in.

Can't say that I have. Though heard good thing about them..

They are a step higher than the DS2000s... both performance and price wise..

for everyday driving and the occasional track day.. i'd stick to DS2000s...