Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Knocking sound coming from transmission area...

I've got a youtube vid recording the sound: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q1SYe3LbKo4

It's much more pronounced under acceleration, coming from what feels like beneath the gear selector. I've checked the wheel bearings as it kinda sounds like a wheel bearing. Makes no difference what gear its in and makes the same noise with the front wheel drive fuse inserted.

The faster I go the more noise it makes, you can the vibration it makes too.

Any ideas what this might be?

Its a jap import new shape 2005 forester, 2.0 turbo auto. 89000km.

Cheers

Dax

tooth off somewhere

Prob the cente diff circlip has failed and taken out a transfer gear (remove drive shaft, gearshift linkage and rear housing to inspect)

• 3 months later...
  • Admin

Apparently some japs have this primo habit of slamming auto cars from reverse into drive while they're still rolling backwards... our old import Corona one day decided that most of the teeth in the gearbox were surplus to requirement.

No idea what caused it, can safely say it has never been abused. It was imported with 0km as a NZ demo before that shape came out in NZ. I owned it from 30,000 km and none of the above is true, its been looked after and maintained well. Mechanic was bewildered too. It let go merging into traffic at about 3/4 throttle 80km/h. Most of its KM are open road driving too, the worst treatment its had is towing a light trailer to the beach now and then.

NZ demo... wasnt a press release vehicle was it?

unless you have driven EVERY single k'm in it the there is a possiblity that some abuse has happened at some stage

By the look of the oil in that diff, it needed more frequent changing

theres your problem mate.i work at audi new market and the sales side has demo cars for most models.custmers are allowed to take these cars for drives as long and far as they like.

it wouldnt suprise me if someone had taken your car and mayb damaged it.

It started making a very slight noise which I thought was a wheel bearing about 5000 km before it broke. Yeah, I was wondering about the condition of the fluid. It was changed when I got the car at 30,000km but I thought that looked particularly dirty since most of the k's have been open road driving. Do they need any special kind of trans fluid? I wonder if poor quality fluid was used which broke down and got hot or something like that.

I'm suspicious of the work that has been done also. It feels like something is now sort of binding when turning, not badly but just enough that it makes it feel like the steering wheel sticks slightly. Also feels like the trans isn't as positive as it was before, not sure if its slipping but it just doesn't feel right. Its the missus car, so I don't drive it often - she doesn't notice anything!