Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Any tips on swapping over a EJ20TT?

slyrwd

Hey there all!!

Ive done a few EJ20T Engine swaps over the last year for mates with subys and in my own, usually only takes me 1 day or so to remove engine and replace then fire up but ive taken on my mates BD5 with the EJ20TT ???, keeps over heating so she wants a new engine installed. Any pointers or tips for the TT Transplant?? Just to try make my life with this car a lil easier, theres so much more s*** in the bay than the Single Turbos, usualyl i try keep away from the TTs but ill help her out, only charging her $200 for the job too.. Thats too cheap aye!!!

Any help or pointers muchly appreiciated!!

just label everything and you'll be sweet . there's to many vac hoses to remember where they go.

mechanically its almost the same . there's more parts on the exhaust to take off but nothing major that you need to know compared to a single turbo. and there's vac hose that go into the bottom side of the top mount (label them to!) or it mess with the second turbo .

slyrwd said:

Hey there all!!

Ive done a few EJ20T Engine swaps over the last year for mates with subys and in my own, usually only takes me 1 day or so to remove engine and replace then fire up but ive taken on my mates BD5 with the EJ20TT ???, keeps over heating so she wants a new engine installed. Any pointers or tips for the TT Transplant?? Just to try make my life with this car a lil easier, theres so much more s*** in the bay than the Single Turbos, usualyl i try keep away from the TTs but ill help her out, only charging her $200 for the job too.. Thats too cheap aye!!!

Any help or pointers muchly appreiciated!!

take some good clean photos of the engine bay just so if you get stick you can good look at the photos

If you're at all compitent with a subie engine bay, it's surprisingly easy. I only needed to write down about 3 vac lines i had removed, the rest were self explanatory.

Want the number 1 trick, that i've even seen mechanics f*** up?

On the BBoD, there's a bracket that goes down the side where all the vac lines go in. If you look closely, you'll see there are actually plugs here, 3 or 4 plugs, each with 3 or 4 vac lines going in. These plugs are labeled 1 through to 4. Just take off the bracket that is holding the plugs in, and pull them out. A lot of people don't know you can pull the whole plug out, and instead pull each and every vac line off the plugs!!! That's when you get f***ed over. If you just take the plug out whole, it's almost impossible to get the vac line plumbing wrong when she all goes back together.

AFAIK, the only vac lines you have to pull out, that can't be left on a plug are the differential pressue sensor, and wastegate lines. The rest are easy peasy using the above method.

One more pointer: don't even attempt to take the turbo's off, they come out attached to the engine.

You can see one of those plugs i talk about in the pic here:

IMG_6216.jpg

Primo Peice of advise mate!!! THANKS 8)!!! I would have disconnected every vac hose and gone insane.. i havent started yet, im such a procrastinater. should get my RS in to gear.. ;D

It really is not much harder than pulling and dropping a single turbo. I used to dread doing TT's, but now I know my way around them, it's really no big deal at all.

It's just those f***ing primary turbo bolts... They are the real thing to fear with the swap!!