Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

steering shudder

hi....

just had my power steering belt break off so i looked in this forum to see how to change it.

i went to repco and got a replacement belt and i assume they gave me the wrong size because it was mission impossible trying to stretch the belt so it can fit... but after what seemed like an eternity, i finally got the damn thing on!

so i took the car for a spin to see if there was anything wrong and i noticed the steering now shudders occasionally when i turn left and right and also when i reverse left and right...

have i done something wrong? would the wrong size belt affect it or would something else need to be replaced?

any help appreciated!!!

thanks!

i dont know why the belt snapped but the car is pretty old... 99 B4 115k.

will check the fluid levels today. if its empty or leaking, what type/brand would i need to replace it with?

if the fluid is at normal level, how do i find out if its the pump that is failing?

if its not the pump, could there be other reasons its shuddering?

the shuddering doesnt always happen. usually, in the mornings when i first drive it, it is fine... just later on during the day it gets worse...

DRFVDR said:

I doubt that it has to do with the belt UNLESS it is to loose and it slipping

check fluid level and condition

WHY did the last belt break,maybe an issue with the pump

Belt not tight enough...Horrible feel especially on a wet/damp start with cold fluid...Goes away when warmed up

Could be pump too..They give that same feel..But also when hot.

i checked p/s fluid and seemed ok...

how do i know if i still got a loose belt? cos i tightened it before to stop the squealing, which worked... how tight should the belt be? i can try tightening it more and see what happens..

and no i dont think the car was shuddering before the belt broke. or it was so little that i neglected it.

last week coming home from work, the car just suddenly felt heavy and i couldnt turn it. i managed to get it home and decided ill take it for a long drive and see if the problem would just disappear. so i kept driving it for another half hour and when the battery started dying, the shuddering got worse...

and next morning i came across this website and diagnosed the problem to be the belt. so i drove to repco, replaced the belt with the wrong size one and now the shuddering wont go away.

if i tighten the belt more and the shudder wont go away, what would the next logical step be?

Have you rotated the pulley with the belt off??? Maybe the power steer pump is seizing or has a bung bearing??

Do they run an idler for it or do you adjust the pump to tighten the belt? Check and other pulleys the belt runs on.

kiwisurf said:

Have you rotated the pulley with the belt off??? Maybe the power steer pump is seizing or has a bung bearing??

Do they run an idler for it or do you adjust the pump to tighten the belt? Check and other pulleys the belt runs on.

what is an idler?

don't tighten it until you cant tighten it further, that's the easiest way to fry bearings. use the belt as a reference. pull on the belt / push on the belt a little. if its a little floppy / feels loose, tighten it until it feels firm. run the car for a minute or two, then re check the belt. tighten it again if you need to.

over tightening will be an expensive nightmare, i guarantee it.

Seemed to work pretty well. Although still has the shudder but not as noticeable. What is an idler as one forum user has posted??? And I might look at changing pumps but is it worth getting a brand new one or will a cheap used one suffice??

How hard is it to change the pumps?

Cheers or the help guys

pumps are easy to change . 3 bolts hold it on plus the hoses . . .

the way i do the belt is wind It up tight and have 10mm of slack so that means you can move the belt 5mm when you push and 5mm when you pull . .