Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Fitting 6 speed and r180 into bc5

DacerX

Having some issues with putting it in seems that the drive shalf won't fit at all, the connections are different on the diff end, I thought that it would like bg swap and just the the auto version of the driveshalf and should be all g but not with the bc, has anyone put a r180 diff in a bc or even someone that has a 6 speed on a bc, I doubt it but worth a shot

What diff are you using? And is it an auto driveshaft of BC era? Or GC or GD?

Would it bolt up if you slotted the holes on the driveshaft flange?

Its been done on BC's a few times but entirely depends on where all the donor parts have come from.

• Like 1

There seems to be 2 different hole patterns on the drive flange for the R180 rear diffs (and it seems they are random too, not specific to certain models or anything).

If thats the problem you are experiencing with your driveshaft holes not matching the holes on the diff, then all you need to do is as Koom suggested - slot the holes on the driveshaft so they match the diff. There are no issues with doing this since the driveshaft gets centred anyway by the other lip in the middle.

I had to slot mine inwards, so needed to flatten off one side of the head on each bolt as well to allow them to lock into place against the flat part on the driveshaft.

Hopefully you understand what I mean.

Yeah that makes sense, that was my thoughts as well but I was using my extremely used brain, not the next issue is these dam cvs and hubs stupid v9 seems to use random hubs and outer cvs so it's ethier change the oter cv to match I standard newer style hub or find hubs that work with my random ass outer cv, back in the day Subaru was like Lego I'm feeling that this mentality has changed, I say bring back toshihiro and isamu and make ikuo go away

So is it the V9 STI (5x114 PCD) 2 piece front hubs you are having issues with?

If so, yes, that model does have different outer CVs, but the only real difference is the location of the ABS tone ring as the sensor sits in a different place when compared to the older hubs - your axle should still go in the hub fine (splines are the same). If you are not running ABS then it shouldnt be an issue (unless BC axles & hubs are different to GC ones - sorry dont know much about BCs).

I am running normal GC front axles with V9/10 hubs (no ABS though).

And you cant actually buy the V9/10 outer CVs seperatly so Subaru told me - have to buy complete axles (ex Japan) and they are BIIIIG money!

I do have 1 V9/10 complete front axle if you wanted to go that way, would just need to find another thats all.

Otherwise post up some pics of the bits you have and I will see if I can help you figure it out....

[edit] - sorry, upon re-reading, I *may* have misunderstood you... do you actually have the V9 axles and they dont fit in your BC hubs? Is that what you are meaning?

^^v9 axles and v7 hubs= sad panda

I hve v9 shalfs and v7/b4 hubs and there is a different with them as you know and I need to have v7 so that I have 5x100 as I have v8 hubs on the rear as you can see it's a frankenstein sort of car but my theroy was just to change outer cvs to v7 style to suit the hubs since as u said if I get v9 or v10 hubs the pcd will change haha oh the joy

Ok, got ya.

Leave it with me and I will get back to you tonight - I have that V9 axle at home, so will have a play around with one of my old hubs and see if I can make it work, as I am sure I had that axle fitted to an older hub (but then again, I could be wrong, it was a little while ago so maybe I am getting confused!). From memory I cut of the ABS tone ring for some reason....

Will let ya know how I get on.

Scrap that - I just saw your wanted thread and it had the pictures of the CVs so that reminded me what the issues were...

You're right, the V9 axles wont work with the early hubs, I was wrong, I must have been thinking of something else!

Reason being, the V9/10 hubs use a seperate sealed bearing drive flange that bolts to the upright so there is no external rubber seal that the CV needs to seal against.

As you said in the WTB thread, you need the CVs with the step as that is the bit which sits against the rubber seal on the earlier 5x100 hubs.

Sorry if I got your hopes up.

I'm guessing your V9 axles have male inner CVs that plug directly into the gearbox rather than female (with stub axles on the gearbox itself)?

dacerx said:

It's female on the box and changing the outer cv seems to be the easiest option in the long run, and thanks Tony if u have any outer cvs that will work I'll gladly take them off your hands

Will check tonight and see what I have....

i know greg has sone v7/8 r180 front axles here in wellies that i stripped out of the sti...

i had to smack the ends though quite alot to extract them from the hubs so they are a bit flared, but came out alright.

I gave them to him for free as it turns out, he might flick them your way..