Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

piggy back ecus

is it worth it?or better to save more coin and go for a g3.

i wana get rid of my afm and get a tune for my few mod's i got but a g3 is abit out of my price range atm

iv heard good things about the piggy back ecus' but also a few bad comments.

let me know what you think and your opioins,

this is to also suite my v3 sti.

what piggy back ecu??

most piggy back ecus still use afm... like APEXI SAFC .. it controlls maf voltage and lets you adjust it so in return you alter the air fuel ratio...

if u want to get rid of afm theres a link v14 in for sale for 550 thats your best option

still looking at options pbms said they cn do a piggy back ecu to get rid of the afm and tune for under 1200 bux whch to me isnt to bad.id also rather them doing it cause they built my motor.

yeh iv seen this.got it on my watchlist atm

what is this "piggy back" ecu ?

piggy back means you still run factory ecu and the piggy back unit fudges inputs from the sensors which in return lets you slightly alter the tune.....

so therefore it would still need a MAF input or she wont go

the only thing ive ever seen like that is a AFMLink.. made by link its a piggy back unit to remove air flow meter and use a map sensor instead...

it doesnt actually work as accurate as a MAF as MAFs are very accurate even though people hate them...

it did however get rid of the intake restriction....

had one on my old GTR familia...

these units are older than possum links however !!

Not sure why people want to just remove the maf...the main point of the link is really the tunability not just the fact the air flow will be banished

MAFs are reall accurate you can get a real good tune off a power fc using a maf

Yeah ive got a 96 sti ra that i want to chuck a few simple mods on then get it "tuned" cheapest way possible, that 1200 dollar deal sounds good. what car do you have ? year ect ? n do you know of any places in chch.

the maf measures load... when its cold and air is more dense there is more air going into the motor..a air flow meter can compensate for this.... if u have no maf and using a map sensor to simulate a voltage input its going to run leaner when air is more dense

a link ecu gets around this by using a air intake temp sensor to compensate

I've run an APS Unichip piggyback ECU for the last 4 years in my 1989 RS legacy......and it's done me just fine. But it's basic as...fuel/air, ignition, timing. Some unichips have more functions than others.......some even have antilag. Here's he APS one

http://www.airpowersystems.com/unichip/unichip_more.htm

Here's the North American equivalent

http://www.unichip.us/21-what-is-the-unichip

I'm running V3 yellows, Walbro 500, an 18g TD05, and 3" exhaust. The unichip nets me around 40kw extra (over factory) at the wheels (around 190 atw all up) on a completely factory 21 year old longblock.............all day everyday......track days included........and not once has the Unichip missed a beat or dropped a tune

Duno what unichips retail for now but I've heard they can be picked up for 2-3 hundy.

If you don't wana go down the stand alone engine management road.........piggybacks are an option

wildturkey said:

I've run an APS Unichip piggyback ECU for the last 4 years in my 1989 RS legacy......and it's done me just fine. But it's basic as...fuel, ignition, timing. Some unichips have more functions than others.......some even have antilag. Here's he APS one

http://www.airpowersystems.com/unichip/unichip_more.htm

Here's the North American equivalent

http://www.unichip.us/21-what-is-the-unichip

I'm running V3 yellows, Walbro 500, an 18g TD05, and 3" exhaust. The unichip nets me around 40kw extra (over factory) at the wheels (around 190 atw all up) on a completely factory 21 year old longblock.............all day everyday......track days included........and not once has the Unichip missed a beat or dropped a tune

Duno what unichips retail for now but I've heard they can be picked up for 2-3 hundy.

If you don't wana go down the stand alone engine management road.........piggybacks are an option

hey man do you know if they ecu has been tuned to run 98?i just been on the site and they seem prty decent but i dont wana jump into buying one with any info!

mine has been dyno tuned to run 98 yep

Just to be clear..............there's no bells and whistles about Unichip........they're very very basic and most tuners would probably steer you more towards a full stand alone engine management system like Link, Haltec, Megasquirt etc

With Unichip you still run your afm as well.........which I see from your first post, you're trying to eliminate

If you do go the piggy back way.....talk to a few of your local tuners first to make sure they're familiar tuning piggy backs.

When it comes to stand alone engine management systems or Piggy back ECUs.........you're spoilt for choice really. Just do your research before you part with the $$ ;D