Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Importing a modified wrx sti-ra to aus???

coaststi

Hey guys.

Im looking at importing my 99 sti ra with ej257 block to australia.

Has anyone imported a wrx to australia recently???

They make you jump through all kinds of loopholes in the first instance.

Has anyone put a wrx through compliance there?? just wonering if they are difficult or sweet?

Looking at getting my same car there would cost me a fortune!

its a big as mess to import to oz you gotta go threw raws its there ltsa over there.. you better off importing it as a race car then buying a shell over there and swaping the parts over.. it is worth doin if its got heaps on it as parts and tuning is expensive ova there.. i went into subby tuning shop over there and showed em a few pics of my car and the dyno sheets and they didnt know wat the hell to make of it!!! they kept askin are you sure thats a road car?? you can drive it to work?? you dont need a special licence?? hahahahaha..

but back on topic you basicly you have to get the car ok'ed by raws to bring into the country then you have to find a shop that is licenced to comply yr car but make sure they can comply yr model!! sum can comply a subaru impreza but not a wrx.. you need to sort all that before you ship the car as you cant touch it till its complyed.. aka itll sit on the dock till u have the paper work in hand and u have to pay storage fees.. also dont forget the towing.. oh and u cant fix stuff your self they do it at the shop.. so basicly u just gotta grin and bear it.. like i said biggggggggg asssssss messss!!!!!!!

also forgot to say if you ship it then they say no you cant comply it then you either have to ship it back at you own expense or get it destroyed.... gotta love the ozzies ;D

EJ20T said:

also you need to have owned it for 12 months too

Yea sadly thats a big fat NO - In NZ that is true... (oh and slight topic hijack - anyone thinking of bringing one into NZ pm me we just did it and I can give you the lowdown..)

BOT

You need this first: Obtain a Vehicle Import Approval (VIA) from the Vehicle Safety Standards Branch of the Department of Infrastructure and Transport.

One biggie: You NEED a aircon refrigerant cert before it leaves NZ, you cannot obtain it once it arrives in Aus

Read the below links:

http://www.aaa.asn.au/touring/bringing.htm

Registration Requirements

All vehicles travelling on Australian roads are required to be covered by Third Party (bodily injury) Insurance. This insurance covers physical injury to another person in an accident where your vehicle is at fault. For insurance, which covers damage to property or your own vehicle, owners/drivers will need to take out separate insurance (see our section on insurance under Driving in Australia).

For those State/Territories that require an Unregistered Vehicle Permit (UVP), you must produce the following documents:

Current registration papers for the vehicle;

The vehicle import documents, including the Carnet or VIA;

Your passport and visa; and

Your driver's licence and/or International Driving Permit.

The Vehicle must have:

Working headlights;

Working tail lights, including stop and turn lights;

Working windscreen wipers (if fitted);

Effective brakes;

Seat belts (if fitted);

Child restraints (if fitted);

Good tyres (with minimum tread depth); and

No oil leaks

You will also need to provide a contact address in Australia and overseas.

Once the vehicle has passed the inspection and payment of the applicable fee is paid, a UVP will be issued.

Specific registration requirements that apply to each State and Territory:

ACT http://www.aaa.asn.au/touring/bringing.htm#act

NSW http://www.aaa.asn.au/touring/bringing.htm#nsw

NT http://www.aaa.asn.au/touring/bringing.htm#nt

QLD http://www.aaa.asn.au/touring/bringing.htm#qld

SA http://www.aaa.asn.au/touring/bringing.htm#sa

TAS http://www.aaa.asn.au/touring/bringing.htm#tas

VIC http://www.aaa.asn.au/touring/bringing.htm#vic

WA http://www.aaa.asn.au/touring/bringing.htm#wa

importing a motor vehicle into Aus

http://www.customs.gov.au/site/page4371.asp

Google links:

http://www.google.co.nz/search?q=car+import+Australia&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-GB:official&client=firefox-a

I looked into importing my V9 STi when i moved to aussie.

Was going to cost about $14k on the road. (Stamp duty payment was biggest killer as it goes off the Aussie Red Book value of car)

Plus had to convert alot of car back to factory just to make it legal as Mod laws over here are very tough if you drive anything other than V8 or 4x4.

Insurance of anything with "STi" and "non-factory" is also very high.

My parents just moved here and took their cars, one being a 2005 leggy b4, (which are worth close to $10g more over here), but now they kind of regret it, as stated the stamp duty is killer, also there is alot different laws here eg both the cars required to have child safety seat attachments bolted into the back seats. It all adds up. Though having a JDM, decent rex here IMO would be worth it all as the cars here are s***!

Edit: Also just a random note, be prepared to not get your hands onto the car quickly after shipping it, only took a few weeks to land them here but it took close to 3 months after that getting them cleared to enter australia!

coaststi said:

Hey guys.

Im looking at importing my 99 sti ra with ej257 block to australia.

Has anyone imported a wrx to australia recently???

They make you jump through all kinds of loopholes in the first instance.

Has anyone put a wrx through compliance there?? just wonering if they are difficult or sweet?

Looking at getting my same car there would cost me a fortune!

I was looking in to the same thing this year for my car 99 wrx wagon.

to get it there was ok but there is a lot that you need to take care of before you get there. but you need to remember this WRX IS NOT ALLOWD INTO AUSSIE unless you are a complied dealer or the car is regod as a impreza. thats where i couldnt get my car any further

subieboy']

[quote name='EJ20T said:

Im sure theres a 12 month rule, it used to be for NZ's moving to aus, but maybe thats changed now?

/quote]

Never was such a rule, you are confusing it with the NZ rule (& that has changed recently, you now have to keep the fu**king thing for 2 years not 1 year)

theres 100% a 12 month law car needs to be in your name for 12 months consistantly before you can start the process of taking the car to aussie

resurrection.inc']

[quote name='EJ20T said:

Im sure theres a 12 month rule, it used to be for NZ's moving to aus, but maybe thats changed now?

/quote]

Never was such a rule, you are confusing it with the NZ rule (& that has changed recently, you now have to keep the fu**king thing for 2 years not 1 year)

theres 100% a 12 month law car needs to be in your name for 12 months consistantly before you can start the process of taking the car to aussie

True it does still exist and what you say is true but also you need to be in the country for the period, so eg you can't live in aussie and import it to you after 12 months.

smithcd']

[quote name='EJ20T said:

/quote]

True it does still exist and what you say is true but also you need to be in the country for the period, so eg you can't live in aussie and import it to you after 12 months.

The law states you need to be USING it for 12 months, not own it for 12 months

subieboy']

[quote name='EJ20T said:

/quote]

5.7 Personal Imports Scheme

The Personal Imports Scheme allows migrants settling in Australia, and expatriate Australian citizens returning permanently to Australia after a long period overseas, to bring their personal vehicles with them.

The Personal Imports Scheme is outlined at regulation 13 of the Motor Vehicle Standards Regulations 1989. Mandatory criteria apply under the scheme. These criteria are outlined below. The criteria are strictly enforced. If you fail to meet the criteria, you will not be eligible to import a vehicle under the scheme.

Criteria, ownership of the vehicle

Applicants must satisfy each of the following ownership requirements. You must:

• own the vehicle when submitting the application; and

• have acquired ownership of the vehicle from overseas; and

• have owned the vehicle while overseas; and

• have owned the vehicle for a continuous period of at least 12 months. This is the “qualifying period”. The qualifying period must have occurred immediately before you (permanently) arrived in Australia.

Criteria, use of the vehicle

The vehicle must have been available to you for use in transport. This means that the vehicle must have been available to be driven by you, at all times during the 12 month qualifying period. The vehicle should be registered (in your name) and garaged (proximate to your residence) throughout the 12 month qualifying period, so that you could, if needed, drive the vehicle. In addition, you must have held an appropriate licence to drive the vehicle overseas.

http://www.infrastructure.gov.au/roads/vehicle_regulation/bulletin/importing_vehicles/general/pdf/VSB10_info_brochure_july_2011.pdf

resurrection.inc']

[quote name='EJ20T said:

/quote]

The Personal Imports Scheme allows migrants settling in Australia, and expatriate Australian citizens returning permanently to Australia after a long period overseas, to bring their personal vehicles with them.

The Personal Imports Scheme is outlined at regulation 13 of the Motor Vehicle Standards Regulations 1989. Mandatory criteria apply under the scheme. These criteria are outlined below. The criteria are strictly enforced. If you fail to meet the criteria, you will not be eligible to import a vehicle under the scheme.

• have owned the vehicle for a continuous period of at least 12 months. This is the “qualifying period”. The qualifying period must have occurred immediately before you (permanently) arrived in Australia.

The vehicle must have been available to you for use in transport. This means that the vehicle must have been available to be driven by you, at all times during the 12 month qualifying period. The vehicle should be registered (in your name) and garaged (proximate to your residence) throughout the 12 month qualifying period, so that you could, if needed, drive the vehicle. In addition, you must have held an appropriate licence to drive the vehicle overseas.

http://www.infrastructure.gov.au/roads/vehicle_regulation/bulletin/importing_vehicles/general/pdf/VSB10_info_brochure_july_2011.pdf

This is the most critical factor, they dont care about the how long you have owned it for it needs to be available for use for 12 months continuously before you bring it in:

I lived there for 5 years mate, twice tried to get my car from NZ to Aus in that time (the first 2 years)...

I have family that moved from NZ, RSA, US & UK that have moved to Aus in last 3 years, they all tried the but we owned it for 12 months and in every case they received a letter form Aus Govt stating this:

The reason they do that is because they are protecting and ageing and dyeing car industry with tariffs and BS laws... They make it hard so that you dont bother bringing in cars form elsewhere either for profit or personal use... Its not good ol NZ where nearly everything go's

Might be silly but in my latest issue of fast fours there is a NZ origin 10 second integra that is apparently over here and legal to drive on the roads on a overseas vehicle permit? It's still registered in NZ, even has the NZ plates and everything! Anyone know anything about this?

subieboy']

[quote name='EJ20T said:

lol youve just contradicted everything youve said. You first said that there is no such 12 month rule of the car being registered to you. u have then just quoted from the letter that your family has recieved that the vehicle must be registered in your name for 12 months

/quote]

This is the most critical factor, they dont care about the how long you have owned it for it needs to be available for use for 12 months continuously before you bring it in:

I lived there for 5 years mate, twice tried to get my car from NZ to Aus in that time (the first 2 years)...

I have family that moved from NZ, RSA, US & UK that have moved to Aus in last 3 years, they all tried the but we owned it for 12 months and in every case they received a letter form Aus Govt stating this:

The reason they do that is because they are protecting and ageing and dyeing car industry with tariffs and BS laws... They make it hard so that you dont bother bringing in cars form elsewhere either for profit or personal use... Its not good ol NZ where nearly everything go's