Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

BH5 Legacy - A few problems

Legacy GT-B

So I've been driving to block course at Carrington Rd at Auckland for the last two weeks, block course time is pretty much the most mileage I put on my car, she's up to 155,000km now. And lately I've been hearing a knock when turning the front wheels, thought it would be suspension related if anything because it only started when changing gear uphill, now it seems to happen whenever I turn a sharp corner. Didn't think it would be CV joints as the noise is a single 'knock' instead of 'clack clack clack clack clack'.

Also, I've got a new battery after the old one carked it. Before, idle would be all over the place when sitting still anywhere, now it seems to nearly stall every time I come to a full stop when pressing the clutch fully in, as it did before, and when the turbo timer is running from time to time it still seems to rev all over the place. Anyone who can be of any help diagnosing either of these faults?

cud be center diff, the BH5's are renound for them crapping out, way to test is to go for long 20min drive at 100km then do tight turning circles lock to lock and listen if clicking comes from back AND front, feels like drive line is all bound up and the CVs are stuffed.

If the noise is just coming from the front or just the rear, it may well be a stuffed CV (center diff prob will make all CVs click)

True, thanks for the info, though I hope it itsn't that, but I'll check it out sometime in the next week. Fingers crossed, it is just a CV.

Had a poke around the engine bay just now, trying to find the IAC from Google photos, from what I've found it's to the right of the throttle body, correct? If so, could somebody locate it in this photo?

PA030066.jpg

Also, there appears to be a screw missing holding this bracket on top of the manifold, which is take is a bad thing and should be replaced ASAP?

PA030067a.jpg

by any chance have you replaced the vacuum hose that T's off the BOV hose? i have on my rsk and since then the engines idle is rough and all over the show, in the standard hose there is a brass restrictor under the white stripe that i did not replace which i have been told could be the problem

The only bit of pipe I've replaced in my car is the 200mm in the 'I' part of the T you see in the photo above. I've cleaned out the IACV and idle doesn't drop to near stall anymore every time I come to a stop, the knock is still confounding me, though. Went for a drive yesterday and stopped after 20 mins, there was knocking coming from the front and what sounded right underneath the driver's seat when going lock to lock, not from the rear, though. When I got home I tried it again, no knock this time turning lock to lock, but it did happen with the wheels pointing straight forward backing down my driveway ???

Yeah, that's the one I replaced. Of course I only threw that section of hose away a couple of weeks away, so I can't check whether there was a restrictor in there or not. Any chance Subaru would sell them? Cos while the cleaning the IACV has stopped the revs coming right down, they do still wobble up and down between 700-900 rpm when stopped.

mike wilson said:

subyhose.jpg

is that the hose you replaced? In the green, is where a restrictor is on the old hose, did you replace that in the new section of hose?

In the D revision that is one of the deleted changes that were made.

I have removed mine and have no issues...

http://www.uklegacy.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=7815&st=0 See Telephonewire's posts with the 2 photo's for clarification

You dont need to remove the IC to clean the IACV just undo the 2 screws holding it in place and pull out, give a good clean with some carb cleaner. They get a pretty heavy gunk build-up over time. The throttle body itself stays fairly clean