Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Turbo Actuator?

dean.ryan

Hey guys, I'm using a Turbosmart Boost Tee in my WRX. When set to high boost, it will spike well past 18 PSI. Is my tee screwed? or is the actuator / wastegate gone? I don't quite understand how this all works (i'm only 16 lol) someone give me a hand so I can fix it before it goes poof on me?

put a hose stright from turbo comp housing outlet nipple to the actuator. then go for a drive if its boosts 7psi or there abouts actuator is mint and yr taps a dud. if it spikes then your actuator could be stuck or have a split diaphram (broken) lol.

i have a hks evc 4 which is great for controlling my boost i can only adjust the boost when stationary unlike some of the newer models that can do it on the fly but it all comes down to how much you want to spend.

just make sure you set it up properly

or cheaper

buy a new actuater to suite,

my cars is doing this atm,

im running vac hose from actuater to comp housing,

im getting about 8psi but gains more boost as my rev's build.

all iv put it down to is a split diafram inside my actuater

doesnt really bother me.but its anoyying not holding one boost

had a external on there with 8psi spring

boost was alot more solid and hit hard when it did .and would hold directly 8psi till 8000rpm.

cant beat a external, just anoyoying when you wana give it boost all the time.

so your best bet try another actuater,go from there,

Honestly dont think im gonna bother playing around with that sort of thing. Looking for an EJ20T to build from ground up. Putting in lumpy cams etc, port and polish etc. See what I can do for a first shot at it. Although not sure about how to retime it though. After new valves, springs and buckets etc, I don't wanna be killing a whole lot of money lol. Any of you guys on here know how to?

dean.ryan said:

Honestly dont think im gonna bother playing around with that sort of thing. Looking for an EJ20T to build from ground up. Putting in lumpy cams etc, port and polish etc. See what I can do for a first shot at it. Although not sure about how to retime it though. After new valves, springs and buckets etc, I don't wanna be killing a whole lot of money lol. Any of you guys on here know how to?

how to time a engine ? it farly easy but prob a bit harder then setting up a Manuel boost tap.

lots of info on here if you use the search function.

re you boost tap . you want to keep backing the tap off till the boost stays stable where you want it .

my opinion if its a standard wrx dont go anymore then 14psi - 1 bar . because of stress on internals

factory std wrx internals are strong as, it's a myth that they're much weaker than sti. i ran 20psi and 240kw through std stuff for some time without any problems. pistons and rods lasted longer than the headgasket did. all depends on supporting mods and tuning

haha id like to see another wrx holding 240kw

and your only lasted 50 thou didnt it

yup i agree with the tune.but why would you wana strees a motor so much.

Always wondered about that. But yeah 10 pound is quite nice for it I think, don't need more than that really. Unless I wanna race :o

But nah, my car has been thrashed before I bought it, so time to give it a new lease on life... although it does sit doing 180 km/h quite nicely... stupid ass speed cut -rolls eyes-

i only have a wrx and i upgraded the turbo from tdo4h to a vf22 it runs 9psi off the waste gate and got the evc for $200 i think or maybe $250.

it boost 15psi and the car feel a lot more powerful done 30000kms so far easy

being nz new i do have the yellow injectors and 90mm afm from factory so no need to change the computer ::)

also no speed cut and a 260km/hr speedo and gearbox geared to go that fast ;D

sti8u said:

haha id like to see another wrx holding 240kw

and your only lasted 50 thou didnt it

yup i agree with the tune.but why would you wana strees a motor so much.

50 thou hard ks. And like i said hg had minor leak. And that was caused by a water leak and subsequent overheat. Motor was still strong the day it came out

my point is why wuld you bother

you run such a risk using wrx bits.

for that bit more get the sti with better breaks gerbox pistons ect

iduno seems abit stupid too me.id rather do it once do it right,

but hey thats me not you

so go hard on the rex motor man im sure sultan with hav some GREAT advice for you

QRAF said:

i only have a wrx and i upgraded the turbo from tdo4h to a vf22 it runs 9psi off the waste gate and got the evc for $200 i think or maybe $250.

it boost 15psi and the car feel a lot more powerful done 30000kms so far easy

being nz new i do have the yellow injectors and 90mm afm from factory so no need to change the computer ::)

also no speed cut and a 260km/hr speedo and gearbox geared to go that fast ;D

Hahaha show off, Im thinking ill redo the interior. But are the dashboards all the same size across all wrx's including the new ones? I like the flash new ones lol