Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

legacy navigation japanese time

alext

For those who have a jap import Legacy with the time defaulting to japan time, this is set by the gps, simply unplug the round connector from the back of the display unit in the dash, this removes the gps system from the screen and enables the time to be set manually, with out the gps resetting after a few seconds,

You retain all the functions of the display although still in japanese but no japanese nav,

Or..... you could get my awesome ;) NZ Nav conversion (a few posts down the page) done that will give you full NZ GPS time on the main nav screen.

We are also working on adding an auto switching reverse camera and/or DVD to this screen. I have the info but just need to test it.

About Sound Ltd said:

Or..... you could get my awesome ;) NZ Nav conversion (a few posts down the page) done that will give you full NZ GPS time on the main nav screen.

We are also working on adding an auto switching reverse camera and/or DVD to this screen. I have the info but just need to test it.

at the risk of being a cheeky bugger but in the name of DIY which what we are all about here.. are you able to supply what is needed for those us that are savy enough to do it ourselves?

I mean its only a matter of time before someone posts up comprehensive instructions for the same thing or similar anyways.

gazzy2000']

[quote name='About Sound Ltd said:

/quote]

at the risk of being a cheeky bugger but in the name of DIY which what we are all about here.. are you able to supply what is needed for those us that are savy enough to do it ourselves?

I mean its only a matter of time before someone posts up comprehensive instructions for the same thing or similar anyways.

The conversion is done using specific parts I have sourced and imported from suppliers overseas and then modified here (it's not just a hack) however....

I have ordered some male and female plugs to allow for "plug and play" installation (apart from connecting 3 wires). The DIY kit I'll have on offer will also include full instructions. I'm doing an Outback tomorrow so I will take photos and make it as easy as possible for those capable of removing their stereo etc. DIY kit will be around $450

I'll keep you posted

alext said:

Yes the navigation conversion by these guys is great, but $699 for the minimal times I need a gps, a little steep, at least I have NZ time now, not the annoying 4 hours difference

considering you spend around $300 for an ugly ass stick on item, IMHO $700 is a steal for a working GPS, NZ maps and most importantly factory look and functionality. Just adds to the overall class of the vehicle in question.

Can you do the same for Altezzas? My sister has a jap GPS in hers and it drives her nuts lol

Clocked Mazda Atenza/Axela/RX8 last week but am yet to do an Altezza. I'm pretty sure I can but need a car to try it on. These car's are a bit harder because we need to apply a touch screen film over the original screen where-as the Subaru's have a touch screen from factory.

I am happy to remove the dyd in the glove box after all its a dead weight in this country, and replace with a unit that gives the nav function built in,

I currently use a $300 external navi unit, $450 for yours built in is more realistic,

I'm sure there will be plenty who will love to let you install the unit hassle free, targeting electronic experts also covers both worlds,

I have only had my Legacy for a short while and have been researching a solution, you beat me to it, well done,

Question. I have a Panasonic Cq7100 touch screen dvd/gps headunit thing with 7" screen.

What would I need to make the navigation part work here in NZ?

Pretty much same as this -

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-RN1Cpa01POI/p_133VD7001/Panasonic-CQ-VD7001U.html?tab=other_items#details-tab

Im thinking i need the panasonic nav setup with it? It has the function button on the screen.

alext said:

I am happy to remove the dyd in the glove box after all its a dead weight in this country, and replace with a unit that gives the nav function built in,

I currently use a $300 external navi unit, $450 for yours built in is more realistic,

I'm sure there will be plenty who will love to let you install the unit hassle free, targeting electronic experts also covers both worlds,

I have only had my Legacy for a short while and have been researching a solution, you beat me to it, well done,

This conversion kit needs to still have the unit in the glove box to remain working otherwise the screen won't switch to nav (needs the data feed). I'm nearly done with the DIY manual which I will post up for you guys to have a look and see if you want to give it a crack.

Swindog said:

Question. I have a Panasonic Cq7100 touch screen dvd/gps headunit thing with 7" screen.

What would I need to make the navigation part work here in NZ?

Pretty much same as this -

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-RN1Cpa01POI/p_133VD7001/Panasonic-CQ-VD7001U.html?tab=other_items#details-tab

Im thinking i need the panasonic nav setup with it? It has the function button on the screen.

You need a Panasonic specific Nav interface. I have seen them from overseas suppliers and can order one with my next shipment if you like. I think they work out around $500

About Sound Ltd said:

I have a reversing camera working thru this screen already - will it still work if do the Nav conversion?

Thanks

mackt']

[quote name='About Sound Ltd said:

/quote]

I have a reversing camera working thru this screen already - will it still work if do the Nav conversion?

Thanks

yes

I now have a DIY kit available exclusive to ClubSub. The price is $450inc g.s.t. If you are interested in giving it a go, email me at [email protected] I will reply with a full instruction manual in pdf format which includes pictures. After checking it out, if you think it's something you can do, I will send you an invoice and the product once payment has been made.

Product comes with a 12month warranty.

• 3 weeks later...
 alext said:

For those who have a jap import Legacy with the time defaulting to japan time, this is set by the gps, simply unplug the round connector from the back of the display unit in the dash, this removes the gps system from the screen and enables the time to be set manually, with out the gps resetting after a few seconds,

You retain all the functions of the display although still in japanese but no japanese nav,

thanks for posting this. i finally found some hope.

Sorry for the noob question, but do i need to remove stereo/dashboard panels to be able to get through that round gps connector?

heres what my unit looks like(03 forester). thanks

http://www.clubsub.org.nz/forum/index.php/topic,26998.0.html

• 2 months later...
 alext said:

Is this the round connector on the top right hand side (purple cable)? I have tried pulling this out to no avail, is there a technique to this? I removed the stereo to gain access, so it was a feel around for a round connector and a series of trying to yank hard on this (with limited hand space available) I assume this will also disconnect the media function i.e. the HDD?

• 3 weeks later...
  • General Member
 ODB said:

Can you do the same for Altezzas? My sister has a jap GPS in hers and it drives her nuts lol

Would pay out the nose for an Altezza one, drives me frigging nuts that I cant really use that whole portion of my car.

So has my Estima, I have a nav/dvd here but it is pioneer specific so not sure if it would work in the fujitsu 10 in the estima :)

gonna hack my headunit so i can run my ipod/phone thru it :)

My son removed his nav headunit out of his Altezza Gita as he could not get it to work, and replaced it with a double din unit :)

Johnnynz']

[quote name='ODB said:

/quote]

Would pay out the nose for an Altezza one, drives me frigging nuts that I cant really use that whole portion of my car.

I'm pretty sure the Altezzas can be done but yet to find a 'guinea pig' car to test it on. I have a company in Auckland who can do this now too.