Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

converting to electronic ignition

• General Member

[table][tr][td][table][tr][td][/td][td]

[/td][td]So my ol' Avenger isnt so happy any more only limited top 4k RPM's and suspect weights in Dizzy are not doing job (bit sloppy in there too) have been told to lookout for Series 7+ ignition modules but wondering if anyone here has a better/simple/more effective solution? - saw the kits on here for $250 and my guy who helps reckons we could achieve Fuel ignition on that budget - I desire the KISS principle for ease of repair/maintenance[/td][/tr][/table][/td][/tr][/table]

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest loren
 JoKer said:

[table][tr][td][table][tr][td][/td][td]

[/td][td]So my ol' Anevnger isnt so happy any more only limited top 4k RPM's and suspect weights in Dizzy are not doing job (bit sloppy in there too) have been told to lookout for Series 7+ ignition modules but wondering if anyone here has a better/simple/more effective solution? - saw the kits on here for $250 and my guy who helps reckons we could achieve Fuel ignition on that budget - I desire the KISS principle for ease of repair/maintenance[/td][/tr][/table][/td][/tr][/table]

Fuel ignition?

Anyway, assuming you are talking about removing your points and replacing with and electronic setup... I did this with

a corolla using a dick smith kit... worked perfectly for years without trouble... probably look to jaycar these days though.

loren']

[quote name='JoKer said:

table][tr][td][table][tr][td][/td][td]

[/td][td]So my ol' Anevnger isnt so happy any more only limited top 4k RPM's and suspect weights in Dizzy are not doing job (bit sloppy in there too) have been told to lookout for Series 7+ ignition modules but wondering if anyone here has a better/simple/more effective solution? - saw the kits on here for $250 and my guy who helps reckons we could achieve Fuel ignition on that budget - I desire the KISS principle for ease of repair/maintenance[/td][/tr][/table][/td][/tr][/table]

Fuel ignition?

Anyway, assuming you are talking about removing your points and replacing with and electronic setup... I did this with

a corolla using a dick smith kit... worked perfectly for years without trouble... probably look to jaycar these days though.

Many Kits Mr Joker sir:

http://www.autospeed.com.au/cms/A_0828/article.html

Universal HEI (High Energy Ignition)

0828_13lo.jpg

A HEI has several uses. It can boost performance and reduce the need for tune-ups (by keeping the spark plugs cleaner). This kit is adaptable to conventional points, twin points or reluctor ignition systems - however, you can chose to replace points with an optional hall-effect sensor (ZD1900) to further reduce maintenance. With an operating range between 4 to 22 volts, the HEI has a 0.9 second fixed spark duration and also comes with a tachometer output. Supplied for $55.95 (through Jaycar) is a heavy duty die-cast case for under-bonnet fitment of the module. It's most suitable for older cars.

This is the smart newer version of the above: http://www.jaycar.com.au/productView.asp?ID=KC5442&form=KEYWORD&ProdCodeOnly=yes&Keyword1=KC&Keyword2=KC

Programmable High Energy Ignition System

Refer Silicon Chip

This is Silicon Chip's most advanced and versatile ignition system yet and can be used on both two & four stroke engines. The system can be used simply to intercept and modify the factory ignition timing or turned into a stand alone ignition system with remapped timing, electronic coil control and anti-knock sensing. The unit will trigger from a range of sources including points, Hall effect sensors, optical sensors, or the 5 volt signal from the car's ECU. Timing can be mapped against engine load and RPM and adjusted in step as small as 0.5°.

Features:

> Timing retard & advance over a wide range

> Suitable for single coil systems

> Dwell adjustment

> Single or dual mapping ranges

> Two de-bounce settings

> Max & min RPM adjustment

> Suits 1 to 12 cylinder four stroke engines and 1 to 6 cylinder two stroke engines

> Optional knock sensing & correction

productLarge_10230.jpg

productLarge2_10230.jpg

Some reading material for ya:

;D

http://www.autospeed.com.au/cms/search/index.html?keywords=ignition+module&x=16&y=7

JoKer said:

chur - just asked my Cuz and he said fiddle with the springs in the weight advance bit 1st

excellent stuff there Subieboy!

Hahaha nah had the link saved from a previous hunt for stuff in a time when I was still doing Holden's

Guest keltik

Waimaks had a dick smiths/jaycar system installed in an ice cream tub on his red brumby. Impressed the hell out of me. Seemed to run much nicer than his stock yellow one

Guest boostcut

if you want you can send it to me and il put some new parts in it.... we have litterally millions of dizzys at work. itl be like new

Guest loren
 DRFVDR said:

but I am guessing u need to run the dizzy still for the timing pulse ?

maybe an option for my Brumby :)

Sounds like the new one has a few options, inclusing using the points... when I did my corolla I replaced the

points with a bosch hall sensor pick up which fitted inside the distributor once the points were out.

Guest lan_killa

electric is the way to go... can either get a kit and lock off the advance mechinism in your current dizzy or find a dizzy from a modernish car that will fit.... IE with minis you can drop in a dizzy from some nissan of some description connect the wires and away you go... look at some avenger related forums/clubs they will help with the best way to go about it with your car

• General Member
 subieboy said:

productLarge_10230.jpg

dood - left out the bit about it requiring the hand controller and Coil driver..... :o

it did cross my mind that these may be required - just figured there "may" have been an option to link to a pc/laptop to tune...

option A: order required bits :

http://www.jaycar.co.nz/productView.asp?ID=KC5443&keywords=coil+driver&form=KEYWORD

product_10181.jpg

and

http://www.jaycar.co.nz/productView.asp?ID=KC5386&keywords=hand+controller&form=KEYWORD

product_7574.jpg

another $138.40

not un-impressed, but for lack of fore-sight on my part

B: send back and persist with dizzy springs (hav not touched them since I started thread)

option A is begging...

Silicon Chip article here:

http://www.siliconchip.com.au/cms/A_105632/article.html

anyone got access to the rest? duh its in the instruction booklet for the HEI...

Guest lan_killa

might be able to make up a cable to connect to a laptop and hyperterminal into it rather than the hand controller

would stick with option A... more room to make changes and get a nice curve

• General Member

WOO you get your $20 back for tent spot eh...

at this stage I will take it - checking with my lead mechanic after work to see if we are still on right track - got him 34% barred up just looking at the box of bit ready for soldering!

(and the idea of making my car go faster - just need SD webers or similar for proper tune)

• General Member

I got receipt...

anywho... what you doin with a controller?

me mech recons a Mitsi Coil thingy will do trick nicely so that solved that problem and he also has a spare Toyota MAP sensor to make this work :D

JoKer said:

I got receipt...

anywho... what you doin with a controller?

me mech recons a Mitsi Coil thingy will do trick nicely so that solved that problem and he also has a spare Toyota MAP sensor to make this work :D

Sweet

Oops on the controller thingy ma bob bit...

Didn't even think about that as I had built one for another project...

• General Member

haha no worries, we'll make it work!

just a pain it wasnt mentioned anywhere obvious (not your fault) either on Jaycar etc or in the Autospeed articel - it does however say it on the cardboard box!

JoKer said:

haha no worries, we'll make it work!

just a pain it wasnt mentioned anywhere obvious (not your fault) either on Jaycar etc or in the Autospeed articel - it does however say it on the cardboard box!

Hhmmm bit of a pain but oh well...

The controllers are useful on a lot of projects

Glen said:

I played with the boost controller a bit. Tricky bit of kit. Never really got it all sorted though. Had issues finding a solenoid with a decent range of duty cycles.

Thats my problem at the moment. (have used the factory one and a Nissan one)

EDIT: Profec B SpecII solenoid was used too...

Been to a few electric auto shops... :(