Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

HOW TO CONVERT FROM SEQUENTIAL TURBO SETUP TO PARALLEL?

hi there guys. i decided to plumb back the BOV. still yet to test it out. Was just wandering, i read on the forum a few days ago that someone had changed their turbo setup on a legacy from sequential to parallel. I think. IS it possible to do the same thing on a BD5 and was just wandering wat kinda coins its gonna cost me. could sum1 possible tell me the pros and cons of this conversion and whether it is worth doin. and would i have to replace my turbos? i got VF18 and 19 i think from wat i can remember. would it b betta to have the turbos the same size like a couple of VF22 or something or would you recommend sumthing else. thnx :)

had mine running the vf18 and 19, went really nice.

but i did mine myself and guessed along the way. dont know were you can get it done or how much.

there is a way to do it with the changing of vacuum lines, am trying to find it for another member,

dont know how well it works by doing it that way, but if i find it ill post it

-smurff

found the pics... gunna load them up now, pic of standard and a pic of parrallel... ill be ready just now lol

-smurff

ok, so before anyone goes any were and trys this, i have not tryed this myself, dont know how well it works or what risks you are putting you car through :P

this is wht it should be normally i beleave

sequential_english1.gif

this is the modification required to make it parrallel

parallel_english.gif

-smurff

As far as I could work out when I first saw that diagram ages ago, it just cuts out the first stage of boost (primary only) so you just get exactly the same power late in the rev range that you normally do you when both turbos are spooling, you just get no around town low rev boost. Its a bit of a placebo effect really as it will feel laggier and more powerful but it wont be. Im sure with some form of boost control and playing around with the secondary flap arangement you could get earlier spool but it seems like more work than a single conversion for less benefit.

Ive never used one but the sequential controllers seem like good bang for buck in a TT, lots of peeps swearing that they make the car way more drivable.

My 2c anyway.

ive not tried this way, my reading about this was about it keeping the secondary turbo valves open, so the both spool together

i carnt conferm this though

-smurff

Only way IMHO is to take out the secondary exhuast valve and replacing it with just an up-pipe, and swapping in an STi ECU. Any other way like playing with vac lines alone is a waste of time, and a useless mod. You gotta do it properly!

the changing of the lines just plumbs the vacume around to keep the butterfly in the intercooler pipe, and the exhaust vaulve open i think.

which would be the same as changing the uppipe, but without the flow. but the sti ecu whouldnt really help whould it, as it would still alter the fuel correctly coz of the maf sensor.

-smurff

The piping will be fine for parallel turbo, when you are on secondary thats exactly what you have.....parallel.

An STI ecu is fine for a single conversion but I dont know how well it would fuel a parallel twin, the boost curves are totally different so the fuelling would need to be altered. The TT ecu would cope better IMHO.

there was a guy on trade me who used to sell converter kits to convert tt to run parallel...I still have parts of it around home sumwhere and I tryed on my BG wagon a little while back. The instructions told me to cut and block up a few vacum lines...but the main thing I do remember was unbolting part of the exhaust header the pipe that runs below the radiator connecting the headers....and blanking off with metal plates. It took me about half hour to do...and pretty much got the results I expected which was Sh!t!!...anyway I was told from the guy that I need to remove the cats...I didnt bother and changed it back..Im guessing that was one of many cheap ways of doing it tho

yea, probly, i was gunna buy one back in the day, but he did give me any info so i flaged it hahaha

-smurff

When I ran twin turbo I initially ran sequential for a few years with sequential controller, full exhaust etc..

then changed to parallel using a single turbo setup with v5 sti ecu, aftermarket parallel headers and vf26/27, which would have run very well, if it wasn't for a pinched fuel line leaking fuel, and leaning out the cylinders on one side. (caused det, and blew the oil ring lands, and after removing one of the pistons, it broke in half ;D).

I did get a brief run with it going properly and I liked it alot!! This was after I fixed the fueling issue, but the damaged was already done.

I would still be running parallel to this day i reckon if the engine didn't blow up, as parallel is essentially single turbo power band, but with two turbos.

^^^

That's the proper way to do parallel. (minus the pinched line)

I now run single turbo 2.5L ;D. Which is about to get some upgrades... ;)

Carbon said:

Didnt that guy on trademe pretty much sell a kit for $50, which was just the diagram from page one and a few screws to block of some lines? *cough* ripoff :)

yeah thats him...and they were nails with the ends cut off and a couple of metal blanking plates...it was the stupidest thing I could ever buy for a car. $50 wouldv filled my gas tank back then and I wouldv been happier with that.

• 2 months later...
 99GTB said:

When I ran twin turbo I initially ran sequential for a few years with sequential controller, full exhaust etc..

then changed to parallel using a single turbo setup with v5 sti ecu, aftermarket parallel headers and vf26/27, which would have run very well, if it wasn't for a pinched fuel line leaking fuel, and leaning out the cylinders on one side. (caused det, and blew the oil ring lands, and after removing one of the pistons, it broke in half ;D).

I did get a brief run with it going properly and I liked it alot!! This was after I fixed the fueling issue, but the damaged was already done.

I would still be running parallel to this day i reckon if the engine didn't blow up, as parallel is essentially single turbo power band, but with two turbos.

^^^

That's the proper way to do parallel. (minus the pinched line)

I now run single turbo 2.5L ;D. Which is about to get some upgrades... ;)

how did you do it? what did you need? how much did it cost? :)

• 9 months later...

Sell it and buy a single turbo car... To get good results out of a parallel setup you would be looking at the same if not more work and cost than single turbo conversion.. imo