Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

setting up electronic boost controller ebc

ive just hooked up my hdi single channel ebc again and few quick q's:

running 15psi i get a boost cut at 5-6000rpm in every gear. i want 14-15psi but do i need a fuel cut defender?

and if i use one does that just tell the computer its running 14psi with a 14psi air/fuel ratio and run 20psi without compensating for the extra boost?

the gate starts to open slowly after about 6psi on just spring and/or with ebc. i thought the idea of ebc is it stays completely open or shut like a switch?

its a 30 psi max controller does that mean it needs to be set to 15 psi to get 15psi or do i set it to 5psi as i have a 10psi spring?

please dont tell me i cant run 15psi/ill blow the car up/turbo wont handle etc im just giving indications of figures as examples.

any help would be appreciated cheers

what he asked above

but also if u run a lower boost level does it still hit cut (a quick test if u dont know)

could be spiking hence y lower it till it does not hit cut

that way u know what the safe level will be for ur ecu

post up that boost

evowrx said:

wrx non sti v5/6 phase 2 engine running td04l with external gate on collector atm. standard ecu seems to cut about 14-15psi as above cuts at higher revs

I think you just answered your own question..

If your ecu cuts at 14-15psi and your running 15psi i'm not bloody surprised it's hitting the cut...

Sooooo

Either lower your boost.

Or find a way to either trick the ecu or put in ecu that allows higher boost.

ha thats not my question reread op.

how do i trick ecu and if i do it with fuel cut defender does it compensate for air/fuel ratio at 20psi as opposed to 15psi as its tricking the computer and limiting voltage to 0.39 i think...

i do know if it cuts at 15 and i run 15 it cuts out thats mildly obvious im just trying to understand the concept of what ive asked with the use of fuel cut defenders and other q's

Most defenders for boost limit will hold the value at whatever your max boost is before cut.

Th computer will have no idea what boost your running above that.

If you want to go deeper into it you will. Eed to invest in a controller that can also increase injector duty cycle to compensate for increased boost above 15psi.

evowrx said:

the gate starts to open slowly after about 6psi on just spring and/or with ebc. i thought the idea of ebc is it stays completely open or shut like a switch?

its a 30 psi max controller does that mean it needs to be set to 15 psi to get 15psi or do i set it to 5psi as i have a 10psi spring?

sweet thats what i thought good to be assured.

what about other q's any ideas?

how do i get my 20psi for later when i get it tuned? i know you can turn off boost cut/ rev cut v7 up but have to use flash99 ecutek to write v5/6 but can any tuner do that i normally use kent speedsource hes closest to me.

if you keep your current computer, and use a boost cut defender, it will lean out until it detonates.

get a link.

or, tie your boost to 14psi, and leave it there.

hdi boost controller... there have been murmors that these won't control external wastegates... allthough i can't confirm for sure.

if they dont, and you are running an external, get a 14psi spring, and leave it at that. but make sure you get the standard wastegate locked shut.

to flash older ecu's there are very few people in the country that will do it, and it will cost an arm and a leg to get it done once you do.

get a link / possumlink or similar for the older models. unfortunately it's the only way to go.

truth is im never going to have that sort of money to buy standalone then get it tuned. always open to free stuff though... ;D

ive set boost to 14psi and pulled a flatshift quarter with no cut so ill leave it at that. i will weld up internal on new turbo hopefully going on this weekend. its just kinked and cabletied atm.

any tune is $600+ ecutek are 950ish i think but they have good results from what ive seen.

what sti ecu do i need for my wagon to get a higher boost cut?

will be running a twisted vf23, has 440cc standard, standard reg with split rails, 3" straight thru, front mount with flipped mani and various other bits.

depending on final boost amount u eont have to weld internal if u running up to a max of 17psi

have had vf23/22/30 on external and none blew open till past that boost

maybe bracket the gate so it will remain shut via the arm in case u need to open in future or just tack weld the arm pivot point to keep it closed

anyway, good to see u have all the mods planned

that way u can get a tune in the end

u can try the v5/6 sti ecu as they run similar injectors and afm

i cant remember if u have to do a minor wiring swap (or was that for nz new cars) have search for it anyway, that might be better for u in the meantime

Ill remove it as im clocking comp cover anyway so ill weld it up. i will plumb gate in to twisted pipes anyway.

does anyone know what ecu i need? ive looked before not on here but through google and wiring seems to be different on some but mainly in oz and us if i memba right. also what the boost cut is on the sti ecu. i think im safe in saying all wrx v5/6 run same 440cc injectors and insert style afm. i was a bit surprised when my non sti foz had yellows so had genuine guys check and same with wrx but they are both factory standard with them.

different engines again bein phase 2 diff comp ratio./coils/inlet/440cc injectors/afm/3plug. ha evos again but evo plugs straight in to gsr and doesnt det or anything an mildly different engine...

if someones got an ecu ill try it guinea pig styles :D

v5/6 sti expects about 8.:1 comp, wrx and forries are 8.5:1. i think... i get them around the wrong way but its enough of a difference to hear it on idle.

thicker h/g seems to be the only fix... v3/4 were the easiest to swap around the computers imho... 5/6 isnt reflashable, can't swap ecu's, v7 on were obd2 open port reflashable. pain in the arse.

standard wrx is higher for off boost 8.5:1 sti is lower for higher boost 8.0:1 but depends on head skim, headgasket pistons etc.

5/6 is reflashable but only with ecutek. why cant you swap v5/6 ecus for sti versions? other than comp...?

Ran 20 psi err day on my wrx block with Sti ecu and it's still going same engine - solid 11.5 afr no knock

I'm pretty sure u could run a Ver 6 Sti ecu on a wrx - how does it get knock ??? Too far advanced timing or lean ???