Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

block and heads

toad

hey people. i brought a ej20 turbo complete engine for $100. stripped it down and found that it has all new bearings in it and had a rebuild about a year ago. i was told it was closed deck but apon taking off the heads it was a open deck. thats ok tho as bores still have hone marks in them etc and everything inside motor is very clean. they heads unfortunatly where the rocker fingers. ive been offered recond heads that are bucket shim off a 1997 sti. my only problem is will they fit? is there any special marking on the block that would tell me what year or something it is?

basically all subaru heads are interchangeable between all blocks.

so they will fit but you will need to look into the cr (compression ratio) to get that correct for the ecu.

on the block there should be stamped numbers, where the block meets the gearbox .

this could help you find more info on the engine maby ? Ive never really looked into that tho

is the block centre or rear thrust on the main bearings? that will help identify it, also show us a pic of the pistons, and what head gaskets did it have? it may be a "bitsa".

the best thing to do would be to give it to an engine builder to measure up as you dont know how much has been removed from the block so you'd only be guessing at what head gaskets to use to get the right CR with your new heads (they will also need to CC the heads to work it out)

theres a cr chart on here somewhere that shows the cc of each subaru cylinder heads .

im 99% remembering back to when i did mine that v3/4 heads where 43cc

if they've been skimed then the difference would would be tiny.

where only talking thousandths of an inch which wouldn't really come into play

im pretty sure i got a book here somewhere that shows how to work out what those numbers mean stamped onto the block , gives ya bore sizes and clearances ect ect but they will be all different now if its been rebuilt. ill look into it

The v3 heads will bolt straight up - your intake manifold will also by straight up so it's a perfect upgrade

If it were me - if it has wrx pistons run a wrx head gasket - if Sti pistons - run metal Sti head gaskets -

The bc5 ecu is tunable so if there's issues with different compression you can tune them cheaply

• 4 weeks later...

the conrod markings make them a factory rod, just use the conrods that came in it, they'll be the same as v3/4 sti anyway and the clearances will be set with those rods, if you change them it may stuff the clearances on the big ends.

take a pic of the pistons, they dont sound factory to me, they may well be forged aftermarket ones.

Its probably worth reassembling te shortblock as it was and just use the v3 heads. did the pistons stick out of the block or were they slightly lower than the deck height at TDC?

Either way I'd just use the same sized head gaskets that you pulled off, the compression ratio will be almost the same with either heads