Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Amsoil EA Oil Filter

Heylin

anyone used these and reccomend them over OEM or Ryco ?? $46 each but they are made using some nano fiber tech, which means finer filtration, hold more contaminants, maintain higher flow.

Service interval of 20,000 kms.

Thinking with all the talk of VF38 failure may be good idea to run this to be sure nothing gets to turbo oil feed with its filter removed.

funkytown said:

$46 and you'd shift to an unknown filter brand, but you'd keep a 20k km service interval?

I think you're looking at this.. ALL WRONG.

the factory / OEM ones are just fine, just replace it every oil change if you're paranoid.

Nah was still going to stick with a 10,000 service interval, but was hoping the benefit of higher flowing and finer filtration would help.

Apprently LegacyGT.com disected a heap of fitler and another brand Puralator came out on top over the Subaru OEM. The way I see it Subaru manufacture parts to the lowest bidder becuase they are not just a filter seller, once they sell you a car thats it they have got their money. Where as companies that rely on quality parts as part of their brand have higher quality products.

dont mean to be an arse but normally aftermarket filters are made to a higher spec (micron rating) thats why people buy them otherwise every one would buy genuine. before everyone began shopping on price people thought about quality...

generally genuine filters are made by other companies its called outsourcing and very common in many industries.. ;) sakura filters manufacture for hino/nissan/hitachi etc its a fact of life it just drops into the correct paint machine and the appropriate box.

just work on micron/flow ratings compared to manufacturers specs

TL DR use genuine filters if you dont worry about price or do your research.

evowrx said:

dont mean to be an arse but normally aftermarket filters are made to a higher spec (micron rating) thats why people buy them otherwise every one would buy genuine. before everyone began shopping on price people thought about quality...

generally genuine filters are made by other companies its called outsourcing and very common in many industries.. ;) sakura filters manufacture for hino/nissan/hitachi etc its a fact of life it just drops into the correct paint machine and the appropriate box.

just work on micron/flow ratings compared to manufacturers specs

TL DR use genuine filters if you dont worry about price or do your research.

Amsoil it is then, micron rating lower than cellouse based OEM filter media, and flow rate greater.

ive never even heard of amsoil filters tbh and i sell a sh*tload of filters everyday. my granddad used to sell amsoil many centuries ago reckoned it was the best sh*t ever.

should be fine im guessing. out of interest who sells them?

evowrx said:

ive never even heard of amsoil filters tbh and i sell a sh*tload of filters everyday. my granddad used to sell amsoil many centuries ago reckoned it was the best sh*t ever.

should be fine im guessing. out of interest who sells them?

Wayne Hill Cars Auckland is the North Island Deal. Guy in our MR2 has been using Amsoil products for years, oil and filters, swears by them.

Reading around they get good reviews in Australia and USA also.

Lots of tests to back up their quality claims as well.

G-unit said:

never had a problem with the ryco filters on subaru's. i change the oil every 5-6000ks tho and filters, there cheap enough to replace

Rob at 1st automotive in Palmy said most rebuilds hes done on subbies have ryco filters.

for the cost of oil and filter i change every 5000kms anyway, admittedly i pay less than half of what most would pay.

ryco are about the best of aftermarket filters but you pay a lot for them. i dont sell many because of the price but a lot of people demand ryco and nothing less. out of all the filters weve chopped up over the years the fram have the shittest insides. theres 3 main things you need efficency/flow/filtration. i wouldnt buy a ningnang no name filter but anything else with the right spec or better will be fine providing you change oil regularly.

how many people have engine failure attributed to oil filter/oil failure? only imports with bad service history like estimas and the engines are full of sludge...

Youd be surprised.

But as most fair minded people on here know, regular servicing will save you the grief no matter what filter. Lil bit of a contridiction from my previous posts but seems to stack up logically.

I guess, if youve been running one filter and never had a problem, why change to another brand your not sure about all for the sake of $10-$20 savings or whatever.

Swindog said:

Youd be surprised.

But as most fair minded people on here know, regular servicing will save you the grief no matter what filter. Lil bit of a contridiction from my previous posts but seems to stack up logically.

I guess, if youve been running one filter and never had a problem, why change to another brand your not sure about all for the sake of $10-$20 savings or whatever.

Based on that I should just use the Rycos then, ive used them on all my performance cars for the last 15 years (every 8000 kms with Valvoline VR1 SemiSyn)

Mazda Cosmo 12a - 70,000 kms (modded)

Toyota MR2 AW11SC - 80,000 kms (stock)

Toyota MR2 SW20 GT - 110,000 kms (highly modded)

Like i say.

Although i recommend using factory, like i always have its up to people and what they are comfortable with...if youve always used ryco or pingwingwang filters and never had a problem and have your own maintenance plan...all the better for you.

Complete change of tack, just been talking to Peter at Broomfish Motorsport where I got my Simota, and he has Wix filters for $11.50 thes rate pretty well from what ive researched so far.

Also seems to have the correct bypass valve pressure.

http://www.wixfilters.com/filterlookup/PartDetail.asp?Part=57712

Here is an interesting find as well, dude diseccted almost every known brand.

http://minimopar.knizefamily.net/oilfilters/reference.html

Heylin said:

Complete change of tack, just been talking to Peter at Broomfish Motorsport where I got my Simota, and he has Wix filters for $11.50 thes rate pretty well from what ive researched so far.

Also seems to have the correct bypass valve pressure.

http://www.wixfilters.com/filterlookup/PartDetail.asp?Part=57712

Here is an interesting find as well, dude diseccted almost every known brand.

http://minimopar.knizefamily.net/oilfilters/reference.html

seems very american most of those filter brands arent available in nz. just remember that there are hundreds of different filters in each brand theyre all different inside. we sell a fair bit of wix and never had a problem yet.

Swindog']

[quote name='G-unit said:

never had a problem with the ryco filters on subaru's. i change the oil every 5-6000ks tho and filters, there cheap enough to replace

/quote]

Rob at 1st automotive in Palmy said most rebuilds hes done on subbies have ryco filters.

Maybe thats cause they are the most popular brand of filter.