Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Good turbo upgrade for pre-facelift 1996 GF8 with TD04?

That ecu would be tuned for the bigger turbo and by running around factory boost you've effectively converted your wrx to an sti of the same generation. Your setup would have safely gained around 20kw but at the expense of a bit of response. I wouldn't run any more boost than that and i wouldn't do it without that ecu change too. Personally i would keep the td04 as the limiting factor is not the turbo. Its everything else

Does he have one for yellow injectors and td05? You will max inj before maxing the td04. I personally wouldn't trust my engine to a guy swapping chips on a circuit board. But that's just me perhaps, id rather spend money than blow up engines

sultan said:

Does he have one for yellow injectors and td05? You will max inj before maxing the td04. I personally wouldn't trust my engine to a guy swapping chips on a circuit board. But that's just me perhaps, id rather spend money than blow up engines

Yeah he does. How much better at the yellow injectors then what I've got ATM?

Grey 390cc vs yellow 440cc.

I wouldn't run grey passed 160kw but the td04 can happily exceed that. Yellow can support 200kw.

If you run that chipped ecu with yellows your next bottleneck is the top mount. Change to the td05 and this will help here actually, by running less boost more cfm to get power.

But in doing all of this, its only going to be as reliable as that guys chip. Could be good quick bang for buck though. Until it really does go bang

sultan said:

I wouldn't run grey passed 160kw but the td04 can happily exceed that. Yellow can support 200kw.

If you run that chipped ecu with yellows your next bottleneck is the top mount. Change to the td05 and this will help here actually, by running less boost more cfm to get power.

But in doing all of this, its only going to be as reliable as that guys chip. Could be good quick bang for buck though. Until it really does go bang

So you reckon that I should upgrade injectors and pump with turbo?

hate-evoz']

[quote name='sultan said:

/quote]

So you reckon that I should upgrade injectors and pump with turbo?

Yeah you might aswell. to get the best out of it.

What kind of injectors and pump should I get to run 16Psi with my TD05?

Will I need anything else?

the more boost you run, the more you're putting trust in to:

a) the chip maker knows what he is doing

b) the chip's map suit your exact engine and setup

once you've done all this you'll certainly want to have it run on a dyno, or at least some one with a wideband o2 sensor have a look over it

sultan said:

There's not much point fussing over turbos with a crappy ecu and injectors. I wouldn't even bother changing it. You need to get a possumlink and yellows to get a worthwhile SAFE upgrade. Your top mount is a real piece too, not to mention that horrid intake setup, and fuel pump. If you don't want to spend at least a couple of grand on turbo computer fuel bits and intercooler, you'll be wasting your time, money, and risking your motor. The v1/2 setup is rubbish compared to later models. I know all too well, I've been battling getting power out of mine for 6 years.

That.

Personally after driving both the v2 sti an the v2 wrx I can tell you that in car feeling is minimal at best (stock cars I will add). I hate to say it but your better off selling the car for 3-4k and adding your $$ to get a better car...

BUT that being said if your into getting the most out of you car then get a td05,yellow injectors with split fuel rails. oh and a turbo back exhaust system and a front mount or v7 top mount.I don't know what the fuel pumps are rated to

slystiguy']

There's not much point fussing over turbos with a crappy ecu and injectors. I wouldn't even bother changing it. You need to get a possumlink and yellows to get a worthwhile SAFE upgrade. Your top mount is a real piece too, not to mention that horrid intake setup, and fuel pump. If you don't want to spend at least a couple of grand on turbo computer fuel bits and intercooler, you'll be wasting your time, money, and risking your motor. The v1/2 setup is rubbish compared to later models. I know all too well, I've been battling getting power out of mine for 6 years.

/quote]

That.

Personally after driving both the v2 sti an the v2 wrx I can tell you that in car feeling is minimal at best (stock cars I will add). I hate to say it but your better off selling the car for 3-4k and adding your $$ to get a better car...

BUT that being said if your into getting the most out of you car then get a td05,yellow injectors with split fuel rails. oh and a turbo back exhaust system and a front mount or v7 top mount.I don't know what the fuel pumps are rated to

these dont fit by memory its way to tight between tb and firewall.

evowrx']

/quote]

That.

anything can be made to fit ;)

they apparently dont fit on a bg of a gc8 but i know of both with them fitted

I currently have a v2 with v4 intake manifold conversion, yellow injectors, possumlink, vf34 turbo, front mount, fuel pump and line upgrade, etc etc. I think your decision of where to go with your car should be based on how much effort you want to put in. I love my car and i love the journey ive taken with modding it and what ive learned in the process, but if you dont have a bunch of money and a surplus of time and patience id suggest just stick with the td05 with 90 degree inlet or sell the car as is and start with a later model platform to build on because this makes things heaps easier

Yeah I do have a lot of questions... Thanks for all the info so far guys!!

I've done the intake and exhaust as well as extractors.

If I haven't already said it, the guy who I got the chips off does have a yellow injector chip.

I'll get the Turbo and some yellow injectors. The intercooler can wait until I have the $$

Does anyone know what kind of fuel pump I'll have without me having to dig it out? Would I need something better with the yellows?

I wanna keep costs down as much as possible.

sultan said:

your fuel pump is now one 6th of a century old, and rated to deliver fuel for a 155kw at the flywheel motor. upgrade it to a walbro

and i've told you what injectors you have. 390cc grey tops

Any of this stuff may have previously been upgraded so it's a good idea to check before I start buying stuff... I know where the pump is and how to get to it. I'm not sure how to get to the injectors though... I suppose I can ask the guy who did the head gaskets on my engine. He should know.

rex-leggy']

/quote]

That.

anything can be made to fit ;)

they apparently dont fit on a bg of a gc8 but i know of both with them fitted

gc8 is way too loose a term. The V1-2 TB sticks out way further I know this has been covered before. As above you could upgrade to v3 intake mani though. We were gonna see if my v5 intercooler would fit on bro in laws v2 to see if the v7- would fit hose wise but i cant quite remember but think it was to tight and with strut brace no hope anyway. I know theres jack all difference between V2 and 5 flow wise was just an experiment.

Know what youre saying though i got told everywhere you cant flip v5 intake...