Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Update can anyone tell me what this part is? photos attached.

Hey all just done a freshen up of my ej20 on my type r (photos and info will be written up soon) but we swapped out the vf24 that was on there for a vf30 great upgrade big difference but today after I warmed the car up when I started to drive it all of a sudden it sounded like I had a set of gilmores on my car I'm unsure of if this is safe as it has never sounded like that since the turbo change all of about 400ks ago. I did reuse the oil feed line from the vf24 and used the bolts from the 30 any one have any ideas? Being starved of oil maybe??

*UPDATE* so we did figure it out the problem was low power steering fluid due to a leaking part (attached photos) they arent the greatest photos but hopefully somone can distinguish it.

IMG_0306.jpg

IMG_0304.jpg

its leaking everywhere any info anyone?

hate-evoz said:

check power steering fluid level? if its low top it up.. when mine was low it made that noise. whining like a gilmore etc.. should be fine after that, was weird but yeah it worked.. lol just my 2 cents. i may well be wrong ..

yea i reckon more so this Phil...

gazzy2000']

[quote name='hate-evoz said:

check power steering fluid level? if its low top it up.. when mine was low it made that noise. whining like a gilmore etc.. should be fine after that, was weird but yeah it worked.. lol just my 2 cents. i may well be wrong ..

/quote]

same with my car too. more powersteer fluid and away it went

gazzy2000']

[quote name='evowrx said:

Going out on a limb but isnt VF30 a journal bearing not ball bearing? If so wrong banjo bolts...bad for turbo.

/quote]

nah we got the right sized banjos for a Vf30..

My eyes be bad didnt read it properly...mondayitis.

hate-evoz said:

Just checked fluid level warm engine + level below cold mark :S will top up when I get home n cross fingers

gazzy2000']

[quote name='hate-evoz said:

/quote]

Update, gotta stop being paranoid power steering fluid makes the sound go away haha cheers y'all

the noise is still the p/s pump complaining - if you run it dry they can seize or get damaged so make sure its topped up.

Also if its leaking- causing it to run dry, find and fix the leak, as PS fluid is REAL flamable.

Also make sure you put in ATF - not normal ps fluid as subbies need ATF (check the lid of your PS pump) DX3 from memory

funkytown said:

the noise is still the p/s pump complaining - if you run it dry they can seize or get damaged so make sure its topped up.

Also if its leaking- causing it to run dry, find and fix the leak, as PS fluid is REAL flamable.

Also make sure you put in ATF - not normal ps fluid as subbies need ATF (check the lid of your PS pump) DX3 from memory

Cheers funky much appreciated,

just a note rolled the car out of its sleep time to find a pool of ps fluid :o

so lets play this game tomorrow of lets find the leak and pray its not the rack buggered

Wynns do a power steering leak additive. Amazing stuff mates bongo hadnt had fluid in for years and ran out of the system like a tap. Put in the additive and didnt leak again. It rejuvenates the seals. Comes in a green toothpaste tube by memory.

We are borg said:

the pictures are your power steering rack leaking, it needs to be replaced/repaired. it is illegal to drive it as it is as it is not up to WOF standard.

cheers mate thought it was the rack but wanted to confirm, yeah one should know not to drive the car when ya losing so much PS fluid, so needless to say it hasnt moved since i found the pool of fluid on the garage floor but cheers for the heads up on how its not WOF standard