Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Quick question about turbo compatibility

lunchie

Hey all just wondering about turbos

I know the JDM sti only fits JDM twin scroll turbos but what about v1-6 JDM wrx's and sti's? also what about the V7 sti and the v7+ JDM wrxs

also what about the US WRX's and sti's do they have the same turbo flange? are they compatible with JDM turbos?

IE can you buy a bolt on us spec blouch or forced performance sti or wrx turbo and use it on your JDM wrx or sti?

Any help would be super cool!

MercuryFree said:

V7 Sti is the same as previous models. Nz new and jdm are both single scroll. USA only got v7 in wrx form I believe so anything Sti for them is twin scroll as no v7 sti

USDM did NOT get twin scroll

ill break it down to ya

JDM

V1-V7 STi and WRX have signle scroll turbo

V8+ WRX, Single scroll (not sure bout V11 as could have twin scroll, somone confirm?)

V8+ STI Twin scroll

USDM,

All single scroll

Single scroll > Single scroll is direct fit

So if the turbo is made for the US market then will be single scroll.

B4 2000 said:

ill break it down to ya

JDM

V1-V7 STi and WRX have signle scroll turbo

V8+ WRX, Single scroll (not sure bout V11 as could have twin scroll, somone confirm?)

V8+ STI Twin scroll

USDM,

All single scroll

Single scroll > Single scroll is direct fit

So if the turbo is made for the US market then will be single scroll.

I know which models have which turbos, I am more concerned with which turbos designed for which models will work on others, eg will a WRX non sti aftermarket US turbo work on a JDM wrx etc etc

Basically I am trying to work out if some of the VERY good cheaper turbos from AVO etc in the US would work on our cars

B4 2000']

[quote name='MercuryFree said:

V7 Sti is the same as previous models. Nz new and jdm are both single scroll. USA only got v7 in wrx form I believe so anything Sti for them is twin scroll as no v7 sti

/quote]

USDM did NOT get twin scroll

Oh whoops, got it backwards :S

lunchie said:

I know which models have which turbos, I am more concerned with which turbos designed for which models will work on others, eg will a WRX non sti aftermarket US turbo work on a JDM wrx etc etc

Basically I am trying to work out if some of the VERY good cheaper turbos from AVO etc in the US would work on our cars

again, a turbo made as a direct fit for the US market would be a single scroll turbo and will fit any single scroll Subaru (JDM, NZDM, AUDM)

So the bolt on turbos from FP, Blouch etc will be bolt on on your JDM wrx or sti if you have single scroll turbo.

B4 2000']

[quote name='lunchie said:

/quote]

again, a turbo made as a direct fit for the US market would be a single scroll turbo and will fit any single scroll Subaru (JDM, NZDM, AUDM)

So the bolt on turbos from FP, Blouch etc will be bolt on on your JDM wrx or sti if you have single scroll turbo.

ok cheers

Wicked, seems like AVO turbos make the best aftermaket option. $1800 NZD for around 350-360hp atw with stock intake and intercooler and simply a bigger fuel pump and exhaust. Seems like good value considering its only about 300rpm slower to spool..... sigh if only you could get that power from a VF lol

T25 is not subaru factory flange Funky (its a factory Nissan one I think, s13 maybe, square inlet, internally gated 5 bolt outlet if Im not mistaken), youd need to get a subaru flanged gt2863 which Im sure will be coming out shortly if not here already. ATPturbo generally do garrets in subie housings along with a few other retailers but the others normally give the turbo their own name.

what ever the standard subbie flange / housing is.. point being places like AMR do the housing to suit genuine garretts now etc.

I know they already have one in GTX30 chassis, and rick had one on his GT2871 in the coupe last year. As they are the same between GT30 and GTX30 logic would dictate you can get the same one for the GTX2863 as used on the gt2871.

+1 on what PhatRS said, t25 is a Nissan flange, (square 4bolts in, 5bolts out -very similar to Subaru- )

But ya, if you look hard you'll find places sell turbine housings for garrett that have Subaru flanges, which I just happen to order one last night (AMR Performance)