Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Replacing wrx heads-bent valve due to last owner

ANTZB4

So my wrx has had a tappity tap since day I bought it, I wasn't to bothered but now it's really bugging me.diagnosed as a bent valve- back story last owner had cambelt snap got replaced but obviously the &$@?!' mechanics didn't check anything.

So how much for heads and what kinda cost labour wise

I've found a few on trademe but yeah

Anyone here got heads for a 1998 wrx?? ???

Also wrx/sti heads what's the diff? More aggressive cams etc

I'm assuming I can wack a set of sti heads on no problem??

The cam profiles on the gtb are around 270 ish duration pushes power band higher up the rev range, they were on the ones I bought, I got my heads for 200 bucks off trade me (my 2002), they also flow a hell of a lot better than sti heads too, larger porting from factory.

sti cam profile were 256 duration IN and EX and 9.2mm of lift on my v6 sti ra heads. Don't know what wrx are but 256 is pretty mild. You will need to get some welding done on the heads too if they were from a twin turbo car and going onto a single turbo.

Yeah il post up for a cash job otherwise il get tony at rdl to do it.

The welding is that for all twin turbo heads going onto a single turbo motor?

So what model year heads should i buy?

Il go down the legacy head route i think ;D

ANTZB4 said:

Yeah il post up for a cash job otherwise il get tony at rdl to do it.

The welding is that for all twin turbo heads going onto a single turbo motor?

So what model year heads should i buy?

Il go down the legacy head route i think ;D

yes I believe so. I was told to get the newer type heads as they are ported more and i have a v8 engine so not sure what one you should get sorry for a v4.

ANTZB4 said:

Thought its about time i went over my car in abit more detail..

used as a daily driver, used to have a 00 legacy but found i missed the feeling i suppose of driving a wrx and after owning one a few years ago now i decided id go back..

so swapped my legacy for this:)

the previous owner has spent a wee bit on here my plans are to continue modifying the car slowly and of course as $$$ permits lol

had rims bov etc all on when i got the car

Since then ive tidied her up abit

recent addidtions were rear tints-didnt wana do both fronts i like to be able to see ;D

And the lights thanks to funky!! cheers mate

P1020869.jpg

Pleased with how they look-only question, wagon and sedan lights are they diff??

cause i have these naff looking gaps either side

P1020876.jpg

P1020870.jpg

P1020871.jpg

P1020872.jpg

P1020873.jpg

P1020874.jpg

P1020875.jpg

P1020877.jpg

P1020879.jpg

Mandtory sti strut brace!!!

P1020883.jpg

Underbody bracing

P1020884.jpg

P1020885.jpg

Blitz DC Boost Gauge-does a f**k load but to over the top for me Going to be sold once i order my dash pod hehe!!

Might build an engine at some stage...who knows

anyway will keep posting as i do things

Cheers Guys

Is there an engine pic here? I can only see x on this puter.

yup there is. its a phase 1 motor, car is a v4. so it needs BG heads.

for reference V4 did have the facelight interior, but kept the P1 block like 1-3.

How you tell - look at the coil on the top of the manifold, on v3-4 its centered, or 5-6 its offset over to the right hand side as you look in the engine bay. also the TMIC and BOV hose connector gives it away.

ANTZB4']

Sweet! Now wats the deal with the welding? Why is that needed ???

dunno - ive never down a TT to ST conversion

[quote name='ANTZB4 said:

What head gasket would u reccommend?

There are links on CS to check what CR your motor / ecu expects. Note that down.

Then when your mechanic or whoever is assembling the new heads on your motor - they need to measure the head CC and compression height to work out the right HG. this is the more $$ proper way to do it. We'll assume your motor has been decked at some point so small things change. maybe it will need re decking and so small HG changes MAY be needed.

the rangi cheap way is just chuck the head on with assumed measurements and you may or may not be right..."she'll be right".

ANTZB4 said:

Sweet! Now wats the deal with the welding? Why is that needed ???

What head gasket would u reccommend?

I welded but i guess you can use bolts, its to do with extra oil and coolent lines.

if thats the case. Antz - the passenger head on the TT motors have oil and water feed / returns for the primary turbo on the TT set up. These are obviously not required any more so you need to close these off.

You use the feeds as per norm on the drivers side for your (td04? id assume)

Thanks to local CHCH member getting me a complete set of heads from a 97 gtb for $100 ;D dissipointed that a member who I shall not name who also offered me a set of heads but a lot more expensive got very snarky :(when I informed him I had actually found a set cheaper.... I thought were all adults lol but obviously not ae!

In other news my gauge pod for my dash is on its way from driven performance!!