Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

knock sensor , how does it work ??

victorjf

Hi guys, ive got here all tools to tune make a light tune in my wrx V5 and i will put all on it this weekend, im thinking to boost it up to something around19psi , i will adjust the fuel, and also ignition, however i would like to know how the knock sensor works, if i have pre ignition will come on in my dash a light or what ??

thanks

Victor

if your playing with a factory ecu the ECU has a knock count but you wont see anything on the dash. how are you playing with the tune? theres not many programs that will let you access a v5 ecu. or are you using a piggy back of some sort?

and by all the tools I hope this includes a wideband o2 setup!!

Retard timing a tad and add fuel on all load cells

Slowly up boost keep eye on afr and inj dc and knock count if any

As I get to hi inj dc adjust afr to suit way u want

I usually do 11 afr

Hopefully at that point dc is still not 100%

anywY once afr is good and not hitting hi dc start adding timing a bit

Watch knock count

Keep timing below knock levels

Anyway thats one way of doing it ( in a quick overview way)

Ps knock count means whatever ur piggy shows as knock or if u can get det cans that b good

ADIKT said:

I admire your courage to attempt this yourself. Everyone starts somewhere though!! Good luck mate

Especially if using SP00N's method of not even listening to the knock building up and putting the trust in whatever knock filter the ECU is using and spitting out an arbitrary number.

Look up KnockBlock from Link, or look into a DIY setup which you can find here.

Koom']

[quote name='ADIKT said:

I admire your courage to attempt this yourself. Everyone starts somewhere though!! Good luck mate

/quote]

Especially if using SP00N's method of not even listening to the knock building up and putting the trust in whatever knock filter the ECU is using and spitting out an arbitrary number.

u serious????

i have clearly mentioned getting det cans be a good thing

end of the day if he cant get it then its up to the piggy-back to be smart enough to get a proper knock count...

without knowing exactly what piggy he got there is no point in saying its bad/useless at knock detect hence y we should not waiver its ability outright....

knock count is not just an abitary number if used in the correctly intended way and using some filtering skills when looking at its values

at least he has the corouge to try the stuff

I've had a few mates tune just s-afc's and the like to a pretty ragged edge just using the knock count the factory ECU puts out (mitsi's using datalogger software), got them on dyno with proper gear to check up on later and they were pretty much bang on, safe enough and no room to improve.

That said, also had a couple who have ventilated blocks in the same fashion so win some lose some I guess haha

im bit worried but i ve done few engines before and was sucessfull.... and thanks so much guys to let me know about those tools to hear pre ignition like DIY, ive been looking for one, but i didnt know the name of it, gonna buy one, make sure that is not pre ignition when im tunning, years ago when i did my last car, i had to listen pre ignition 9 kind hard specially when u got a car with exhaust upgrade ) , good to know now we ve got this tool

SP00N']

u serious????

i have clearly mentioned getting det cans be a good thing

end of the day if he cant get it then its up to the piggy-back to be smart enough to get a proper knock count...

without knowing exactly what piggy he got there is no point in saying its bad/useless at knock detect hence y we should not waiver its ability outright....

knock count is not just an abitary number if used in the correctly intended way and using some filtering skills when looking at its values

at least he has the corouge to try the stuff

No you didn't clearly mention Det listening devices, you tacked on a comment at the end about det cans after you'd explained how to "tune" using just the knock count ::)

p.s. Courage to try something has nothing to do with being blindly led up the garden path without being made aware of the proper way of doing things. Only then he can make his mind up as to what tools he wants to use to tune.

[quote name='Marky said:

I've had a few mates tune just s-afc's and the like to a pretty ragged edge just using the knock count the factory ECU puts out (mitsi's using datalogger software), got them on dyno with proper gear to check up on later and they were pretty much bang on, safe enough and no room to improve.

That said, also had a couple who have ventilated blocks in the same fashion so win some lose some I guess haha

Comments like this are why tuning to the knock count is putting trust in an entirely arbitrary number in the ECU. Sometimes the number is low enough for the "knock count tune" to not blow sh*t up, sometimes its about right and sometimes by the time the knock count tells you anything, half your engine has been relocated to the bottom of the sump....

Oh don't get me wrong - I agree with you. Same as how some will tune just solely to a certain AFR number, or "I want 20psi boost" come hell or high water just cause that's where the gauge reads to

Sometimes it works, but when it doesn't it's not a cheap mistake to fix

knock count is not an arbitary value... (many tuners still here dont respect it and im not sure if its due to ignorance/scared of new ideas or just easier to resell a link)

properly filtered its usefull data...as proven by many overseas cars.. and especially a members car here tuned to 330kw@w on knock count ...

anyway im not going to argue with this "the world is flat" type arguments on the arbitary-ness of the knock count...

moving on... victorjf, how did u get on?

the G4 knock links work well, but a little over sensitive, I\'ve got one with the matching knock sensor (not afactory one) and it picks up stuff thats not knock on light throttle cruising. Not sure how well you could tune on one though.