Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

New problems

D3ft0n3s

Ok this might get shifted, but anyway.

Took my car to rapid performance in timaru, with the previous problem (it was like the boost was stalling then going again)

So, they have put on turbo back exhaust, a brand new MAF, and tuned it.

Dyno shows it making 248hp @ 14.5psi boost in 4th.

What i noticed when thrashing it a bit though is :

When ya boot it in 4th, it revs up to 4000 rpm really quick, sits there, it sounds like the engine is catching up or something, then revs past it, also the rev counter fluctuates a little, like drops to 3500 then to 4000 then down then up, then past it.

This isnt normal is it? Ill be taking it back to them on Monday, but just thought id see if anyone had any suggestions?

Fuel pump has been done, coil packs are new, spark plugs are PRF6G's but MIGHT need doing, MAF is new, knock sensor was relocated by rapid, its running 98, turbo back exhaust, air filter is 3000k old, oil is just in car. Cant think of anything else.

To the op, please dont put this with my other thread as its not the same problem

Any suggestions people?

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

why did they move your knock sensor? that raises a red flag with me, if your using a factory ecu and they were getting false knock that would pull timing and maybe cause your issue.

If your knock sensor is stuffed it may cause false knock, so moving it isn't fixing the problem just helping to hide it by moving it where there's less engine noise.

After much investigation with the torch, i found the knock sensor.... Sitting ontop of the intake manifold (facing car) RHS bottom corner of where intercooler is.

Weird. Why put it there? Its not going to hear anything if there is knock is it????

Not happy, taking it back on monday.

Edit : This is my old thread http://www.clubsub.org.nz/forum/index.php/topic,31828.0.html

reaperblitz said:

I was thinking it could be a split in your intercooler/charge pipe?

It reminded me of what my mates car did when there was a tiny split and then it went all crazy tractor like after that so we straight away knew what it was

possible...best way to do leak test?

I might add I\'m on night shift and it seems to happen worse when outside air (not car) is colder. got video of it in the afternoon but not as bad. will try do another tonight on way home

ok Video speaks a million words more than a photo, only one cause man our internet is shit took ages to upload.

please ignore me talking in the background.

im thinking that perhaps my BOV is leaking via the hole that has not had the grubscrew put in yet... Anyone done that mod? good?

no ht leads on v7

no need to relocate knock sensor as lots cars run fine with the stock fitment

did they do any diagnostic on it

any codes

and when running it did they lof afm and afr etc?

does it make any more unusual noises like whine etc?

SP00N said:

no ht leads on v7

no need to relocate knock sensor as lots cars run fine with the stock fitment

did they do any diagnostic on it

any codes

and when running it did they lof afm and afr etc?

does it make any more unusual noises like whine etc?

yes diagnostics were down hence new maf. lof afm afr? it\'s had full reflash

doesn\'t seem to make any unusual noises.

that video was early in my run took it out in the country tried to re create problem but it just went like fuck

another point to note is clutch is 2000k old and hasn\'t had power thrown at it cause car had an issue.

fairly sure it\'s a standard one...can they handle the 248hp the dyno said I got? surely it can? ??

SP00N said:

u have a pod filter?

what sort of bov?

and yea clutch should handle 185kw...

just to clarify, its the exact same issue before and after their tune ay?

edit lof = log my bad

i mean log things..... :)

no not exactly the same problem

yes was logged said it was all fine.

standard box intake (I won\'t do pod)

factory bov

like I said tried to get it to do it after this and it just pulled and went ballistic fast. ... there\'s def no speed cut

SP00N']

so whats the exact difference between before and after?

sorry for the questions ..just trying to understand the issue...

Ok, before, had a flat spot, at about 3000 - 4000 sounded like turbo wasnt spooling at this point, generally ran like crap, found it was in safe mode.

After does what happens in the video, but only SOMETIMES, which is a bit annoying. at one stage i thought the clutch slipped, but surely it cant if its only 2000k old?? Oh and after apart from what the video shows it goes like a cat with its balls in a vice.

[quote name='reaperblitz said:

If it still climbs even tho the rpm and speedo sits at "4000" rpm, wouldn\'t that be either wiring or speed sensor/ rpm?

I\'m just throwing it out there but if its intermittent and only happens in the upper limits (speed and gear) it will be hard to keep replicating the problem.

Yeap, that is a possiblity also, but how to tell i dont really know.

The car was test driven by the tuner somewhere in the country, he said he gave it plenty and had no problems with it.

I reckon, boost might be leaking at higher RPM, hence why i asked about the BOV grub screw mod, anyone done it? any good? Also, i reckon my fuel filter might be needing changed, spark plugs are working PRF6G\'s but i think cause of the tune i might benefit changing them / different ones, any recommendations? I also want to seafoam it beofore next oil change, anyone done that? any good? and change the air filter to a highflow one, it has the standard oem box paper one.

I realise that all of that ^^^^ probably wont help, but from cruising round early this morning waking everyone up in the country it wouldnt do it after the car was proper hot hot, and no burning clutch smell, i did warm the car up properly before taking it for a run, but as the run went on the problems got less. Weird, either im paranoid and should just leave it alone, or its something else.

I can try get another video later of it

hate-evoz said:

i reakon take it back to the shop that worked on it last, its their problem to sort out. you shouldnt be having problems like this.

Yeap ill be taking it to them on Thursday (first day / night off) just wanted to know if people had similar problems before

By grub screw mod, you\'re meaning to stop the bov from bypassing the increased boost?

Clutches can go bad anytime depending on how it\'s been \'bedded\' in, installed to what type it is. I wouldn\'t assume the 2000k would have been nice nana driving :P

You mentioned burning clutch smell? Guessing you\'re launching it and aggressively shifting too? (I don\'t know if you\'ve got a heavy duty or brass button etc) but burning clutch smell isn\'t normally good either.

See if you can take it back to them and just trace back to what\'s been changed since, or what you think the problems could be and sort it one by one. Hopefully it gets fixed soon (crosses fingers)

reaperblitz said:

By grub screw mod, you\'re meaning to stop the bov from bypassing the increased boost?

Clutches can go bad anytime depending on how it\'s been \'bedded\' in, installed to what type it is. I wouldn\'t assume the 2000k would have been nice nana driving :P

You mentioned burning clutch smell? Guessing you\'re launching it and aggressively shifting too? (I don\'t know if you\'ve got a heavy duty or brass button etc) but burning clutch smell isn\'t normally good either.

See if you can take it back to them and just trace back to what\'s been changed since, or what you think the problems could be and sort it one by one. Hopefully it gets fixed soon (crosses fingers)

grub screw just cause I hear the stock bov will bleed a bit of boost off

clutch was not launched ever it\'s been babied cause car had performance problems

talked to tuner today he said probably not adjusted or bled hydtolic properly

goes in Thursday for check if it\'s bad surely it had a warranty.

genuine oem clutch used