WTF?: Legacy BC5 cutting out @ 9psi

THUNDA

Hey guys

UPDATE

Aswell as my car cutting out @ 9psi it is now

misfiring, feels like its running on 3 cylidners, sometimes backfireing

i changed the sparkplugs today at work

didn't make a difference, car is very sluggish

im thinking - coil packs? air flow meter? fuel pump?

any help would be very appreciated! as i have to fix the car tonight to drive it to work i nthe morning (and i also have the flu lolol)

I recently put a pod filter onto my ej20 1989 legacy GT

yesturday it was going great, running fine, didn't miss a beat

now today i took it for a drive and its fuel cutting @ 9psi, as soon as the boost gets to 9psi it cuts, however car runs fine @ no boost and boost under 9psi, its similar to the cut you get when the car overboosts and the computer cuts the fuel

I was thinking my afm has probably crapped out because of the pod filter?

What do you guys think?

I'm selling my car at the moment so really wanna fix this asap

If anyone has a spare ej20 legacy airflow meter they have laying around could i borrow it to check if thats the problem?

Believe me, I am a big supporter of the standard CAI

But got given a pod filter and adaptor plate as a gift so thought might as well put it on.

AFM Cleaner, will Carb cleaner work? or electrical cleaner?

cheers

There is a special spray called AFM cleaner

Do not use carb clean !

Only use electrical cleaner spray if you can not get proper cleaner

Where about's are you? i have a spear (just recently cleaned) (Green sticker) AFM, if you are in the Wellington are you are more than welcome to come and get it

I have a pod filter set up on my car 92 GT Ej20 and mine runs fine around those boost levels, never had a problem with AFM etc...

my pod filter has no oil at all...

should i just tip some oil on it? lol

i just thought it was a bit strange how the car was running fine then all of a sudden it stopped boosting above 9psi

it has been using alot of gas recently though, maybe it really does need and afm change

bit annoying really as my mate had 2 legacy wrecks in his back yard sitting for years and he just got them removed about a week ago lol, i knew i shoulda got some parts

UPDATE

Aswell as my car cutting out @ 9psi it is now

misfiring, feels like its running on 3 cylidners, sometimes backfireing

i changed the sparkplugs today at work

didn't make a difference, car is very sluggish

im thinking - coil packs? air flow meter? fuel pump?

any help would be very appreciated! as i have to fix the car tonight to drive it to work i nthe morning (and i also have the flu lolol)

Sounds like spark breakdown, check your coil's eg; if its running on 3 cylinders, start and remove each one until you find the one that is not firing.

If you can wait until tomorrow I'd be happy to come and have a look but will have to be later in the afternoon.

ReubenH']

[quote name='THUNDA said:

my pod filter has no oil at all...

should i just tip some oil on it? lol

/quote]

Quoted for posterity

should i put oil on it? would have been quicker just to answer lol

p.s; its not the battery either, because i put a brand new fully charged one in it at work and it didn't make a difference.

today ill go buy 1 new coil pack, and change them around 1 by one lol

ill grab another air flow meter while im at it, god i hope this fixes it lol

its weird when the engine is cold it will only idle for about 3 seconds, as if it will be idleing fine then just stall for no reason.

then when its warm it will run fine but every 5 or so seconds will miss and almost stall

now it just runs on 3cylinders constantly, doesn't miss, im gussing because the cylinder that was missing is now not running at all lol

when it was running on 4 cylinders it would act as though it would miss/ be fouling when i put my foot down, but will little acceleration would run fine

any help would be much appreciated! :)

tested

1 coil not working

the coil that sits oposite the battery on the right hand side back (when looking at the engine from the front of the car - the closest coil to you on the right hand side)

so just after 1 coil now please

if anyone has one laying around id be very keen! ;D

Have you swapped the coil with the other coil fitted to that bank

This will tell you if it's ign / spark plug / or compression

i tested the coil and its not sparking the spark plug at all (spark plug not earthing to the engine)

and the spark plug is brand new which i installed myself

i have to admit the car has been getting slower and slower over that last 2-3weeks but i just thought it was me driving it like a nana because its so cold in the mornings

i have compression testers at work will do today at some point

will also swap coils over, will it be ok to swap the coil with another one from the oposite bank?

i through that were all the same, or do they have an order in which they need to be installed (setup) in?

the other day i just replaced one of mine, i didn't think about the order of fire etc, i just assuming the computer would control that and send a voltage to the right coil when it was needed?

THUNDA said:

yup, prety sure you're right aye, the ignitor isnt part of the coil, i may be wrong but i dont think so

i ordered a new coil from winger today... :P should arrive this arvo

How much did that set you back?

I might be looking at replacing my whole set