Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Outback 2004 - key problems...

matt1710

Hi

I\'ve had a good look around on the net, both here and elsewhere, for a solution to this problem - but no luck as yet.

I recently acquired a 2004 Outback from Japan. It came with only one fully functioning key - the key has two buttons on it : lock & unlock. These buttons perform those functions. Another key (exactly same appearance) was supplied with the car however it\'s clearly not for this car : the profile of the "cut" in the key is different, and the buttons don\'t lock/unlock the car.

So - how can I get this key functioning so that I have a backup? As it\'s only ever going to be a seldom used backup it wouldn\'t bother me if all it could do was to open the doors and start the car. However perhaps I\'m misunderstanding things - and the electronics in the key are needed to communicate with the car and/or deactivate the immobilizer - if it has one? I have noticed a red key icon in the dash when the car is locked...

I tried a few procedures listed on the web : door open /closed, ignition on/off so many times with x seconds etc but couldn\'t seem to enter the programming mode they spoke of. The guides also talked of an 8 digit code written inside the key - the only code I could see was a stamped 4 digit code.

Any help would be much appreciated!

Matt

PS - by the way, I\'m in Auckland.

Thanks for the feedback so far. I\'m not even sure how to determine exactly what the car has in terms of immobiliser, factory alarm etc.

I\'m fairly certain it has a factory alarm - it certainly has an alarm as I set it off once. What I don\'t know, is whether there\'s a chip in the key that must be present in order to start the car - or whether unlocking via the remote also disables an immobiliser.

I\'d rather not go to the expense of getting the key copied - only to find that it won\'t start the car without the involvement of the remote - and then find out that getting the remote reprogrammed is expensive as hell. I guess getting setup with a fully operational spare key will be cheaper than having to start from square one if I lose the only operational key...

I\'ve read various guides on how to programme the remote - the one I tried so far didn\'t work.

Anyone have any success reprogramming one with the door open/closed, key on/off method/s??

Thanks Sobanoodle - have looked through that however the keys depicted don\'t resemble mine - even when I look at different years.

Gotasuby - that\'d be much appreciated!

We are borg - good idea - I\'ll try that with the operational key.

connect wire wires behind dash pocket

hold drivers door master switch unit to the unlock postion - you will hear a beep and interior light will flash

Press unlock button on remote to code the locking to the car - car will beep and locks will cycle

Keep master switch in unlock postion - code key two, again car will beep and locks will cycle

If not check battery inside remote

Note, this will only set up the locking not the vehicle immobilser

this need to be done by the dealer, using the vehicle specific code ( obtainable thru SNZ if needed )

Immoblisier chip is not part of the key electrics - its a seperate part in the key head

matt1710 said:

No thanks - my previous car was a GT-B E-Tune with body kit and it drove me nuts as it was too low at the front and scraped on all sorts.

O na na its not a flashy hard out thing, its just a factory extension lip to give the bumper some shape.

Eight dollar said:

connect wire wires behind dash pocket

hold drivers door master switch unit to the unlock postion - you will hear a beep and interior light will flash

Press unlock button on remote to code the locking to the car - car will beep and locks will cycle

Keep master switch in unlock postion - code key two, again car will beep and locks will cycle

If not check battery inside remote

Note, this will only set up the locking not the vehicle immobilser

this need to be done by the dealer, using the vehicle specific code ( obtainable thru SNZ if needed )

Immoblisier chip is not part of the key electrics - its a seperate part in the key head

Did you mean "connect the WHITE wires..." ?

Argh - just contacted Winger Subaru - they said a new key will be $360, coding will be $120 and cutting a further $20 - all plus GST. So I\'m looking at $575 just to get a key that\'ll disarm the alarm and start the car - seems pretty crazy given that it\'s just a backup key, that\'ll hopefully never get used. Winger told me there\'s no immobiliser - just an alarm. I can confirm that there\'s an alarm - and as long as I unlock the car using the buttons on the key, the car starts with just the key blank - and the remote part of the key hidden 100m away - so I assume there is no immobiliser - unless unlocking the car with the key\'s button disables the alarm AND the immobiliser??

Anyway, if I can get a functional key cut (my wife got one done recently for $60) then all I need to circumvent is the alarm. Anyone know how to do this manually - remember that hopefully I\'ll never have to do it. The last car\'s (a Legacy with an after-market alarm/immobiliser) security system could be over-ridden by manually \'entering a code\' using the on-off method. Maybe there\'s a way to do this with the Outback?

Any help on this would be much appreciated - I don\'t really want to spend close to $600 on a backup key...

Matthew

PM me i might have a genuine key with me. most 04 import outbacks have come with factory immobiliser and the only way to find out is the red flashing light in the cluster, which indicates it has factory immobiliser . when you call the dealers, NEVER speak to the service advisers regarding technical issues, they are dum and dont know shit. always speak to a senior tech in the workshop.

Thanks for the help. I have a spare genuine key - it\'s just not for this car - it doesn\'t fit into the lock - nor the doors - nor do its buttons operate the central locking/alarm . I had hope to get it recoded - but I understand there\'s also a chip in the key fob that deals to the immobiliser. Then there\'s the key blank itself - however surely that\'s the easy part?!?!

Seems there\'s no immobiliser and the alarm silences once you insert the key. I got a locksmith to scan the working key - he confirmed there\'s no transponder in it. So he copied the working key - so now I have a backup key blank that opens and starts the car. If the car was locked with the original key\'s remote - and then opened manually (ie via the door) using the backup key - the alarm sounds - however silences once you insert the backup key into the ignition. You can then start the car - and it stays running - ie doesn\'t cut out after 90s or so. I even did this procedure with the original key about 50m away from the car - and it still worked fine.

So seems that the only use for the genuine (but incorrect) backup key that I have - is if I can get it coded to lock/unlock the doors, and silence the alarm. I might have to try that open/close door - ignition on/off thing again...