Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

BORGS 05 Zombie Killing Hilux of Death

DRFVDR

Well as some of you know I have been driving a \'91 Landcruiser for the last 15 odd years ( wow has it been that long) in that time it had racked up some 420,000 km :).Well I decided to "upgrade" last week so I purchased a second hand \'05 Toyota Hilux SR5 double cab, it was fairly cheap for a hilux and came from a guy I know,so I know it had been well maintained,it has 220,000 km on it which for these are about 1/2 their life span.

It came fairly stock except for a few aftermarket bits and bobs,front bull bar ( for running down said Zombies),rear "roll bar" for mounting a 50 cal :) ,20" rims(for running over the Zombies that the bull bar ran down).

There were a few wee things that needed doing on it, including a few bits that needed repairing/replacing in the cabin, and a new set of rear rubber( got a grand of for the tires)

20121204_152956.jpg

when I first picked it up

20121207_111420.jpg

First addition was of course the PP and my wee Vader

20121218_124507.jpg

And my new Radar Detector :)

20121216_105147.jpg

As it is now I added an LED flasher bar ( for roadside breakdowns)

I also obtained and fitted today a "smart guage" got it cheap of Trademe, takes the sensor information from the OBD-m port( shame it not OBD11 but oh well)

This is showing from left to right ECT= Engine Coolant Temp,KML=Km per litre ,TBP=turbo boost pressure, there seems to be about 20 different screens.

20121218_124448.jpg

Also brought an "anycar adapter" to try and get some "connectivity" to my smart phone (the factory head unit has the correct port but not sure if it going to work yet)

20121218_124501.jpg

Next on the list will be a set of driving lights ( would love LED)

I intend to make a deck Lid for it ( have not found any to my liking ) will use alloy checker plate :)

evowrx']

[quote name='D-Style said:

Put an exhuast and diesel chip in and it turns it into a completely different beast.

/quote]

Save some gas doing it also.

In the new year i\'ll be doin this to my Prado (which has same engine as Hilux) Ive driven a couple of LC\'s and Hilux\'s with this done and really makes a big difference.

*NB, around town a V11 STi has better fuel mileage than my diesel.

I have mine down to 11L per 100km at the moment which is pretty darn good considering I drive it like i stole it :)

I am investigating a chip and exhaust but need to get a few grands in the bank first :)

also trying to source a roller style deck lid but have not found any in NZ so far

Shit that\'s a bit of fuel alright. My diesel ranger doesn\'t use over 9l/100km in town, and it\'s more of a lard arse then the hilux\'s ;p

Loving the bullbar, I\'m wanting one for my ranger but the local ARB dealers are useless cunts. Contemplating MCC instead, hoping they look after customers better.

ODB']

[quote name='We are borg said:

I have mine down to 11L per 100km at the moment which is pretty darn good considering I drive it like i stole it :)

/quote]

Wow....thats bad! Think the similar year euros get like 7-8l/100km??????

@220,000 KM and a "real" 4wd not a euro AWD ???

remember this although a "modern" 4wd with Common rail, turbo, intercooler, and direct injection is still run on technology that is 8 years old so a modern car would of course use less,

Also this is me driving it extremely hard....

I am pretty happy with it TBH my landcruiser never got better than 16l/100 on a good day :)

I have an Opposite lock bullbar. 1/2 price of a ARB/TJM one and comes out of same workshop as ARB. also came with LED park/indicator and fog lights.

NZ wouldnt have alot for your cover. Theres are lot places in Aussie which build roller decks/drawers/lids for hilux.

• 10 months later...