Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

STI type R vs v7...

stan

General question? if you had the choice?

Reason I ask is because im having difficulty deciding. Car will hit the track every now and then so the v7 6 speed box will be awesome but have heard that 5th? gives way and crunches and is a common problem?

The STI v3 type R is lighter and as far as im aware the fastest stock STI there is, but the 5 speed gearbox is preeeety weak (even though I havent had one go on me before). Anyone had experiences track racing stock type R?

Would it be better to get a STI type R and get 6 speed conversion for it or just get a STI v7? Having read around the 6 speed conversion seems pretty difficult (parts wise)

Cost is factor!

cost is a factor no matter what...

age is a bit of an issue with the v3's now. I found most of my suspension components had seized together, meaning swing arms and links were flexing only through the rubber bushes. A newer car will out handle them usually, most attribute this to the fundamental design but I'm sure they would be pretty close if everything was new

If you're prepared to strip down and clean/replace all the suspension components then the reduced weight and extra power can make it quicker in a straight line over the newer models. The front LSD in most 6 speeds and wider track helps the newer models through the twistier stuff

v3's have no airbags either, so you can strip the shit out of them and modify at will :)

Type R ftw if you can modify it enough, in my biased opinion

Its all in what your real plans is? If you wana to keep you track car stock then go for a v7 sti spec c they are light and fast they have no air bags wind up windows and heaps of other little thing like quick steering rack. But if you wana a hard out track subby id buy the v3 sti its a good base and gc8 parts are every wea that my hardest problem at the moment finding anything for my V7.

Will track it hard but in stock condition (bar the usual mods) just to make it abit more reliable. v7 spec C is definitely an option but rather hard to find and more than Im willing to spend! but a v7 is the better route, will just strip it out!

go for the v7..

there is nothing wrong with the 6 speed buddy - just put some good gbox oil and service the car and you sould be sweet as..

they are really good for future mods and the breaks are awsum as well..

and the interior esp seats are really + points

much better car to race with as they have much softer limits..

always the option to harden it up as you go along..

as for the typr r - they look mean i reakon but then its a question of if u can live with 2dr car or need a 4 dr