Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

wrx sti nz and jdm

victorjf

Pretty much, from memory the internals of the engine are the same but the JDM WRX comes with bigger turbo, injectors and AFM to match. IE: Yellows, VF22 and orange AFM on the JDM and greys, TDO4 on the NZDM.

Plus NZDM is detuned to compensate for lack of higher octane fuels around the world.

lunchie']

[quote name='tebbyj said:

that is wrong, the UK got COMPLETELY different cars to NZ NEW. NZ new got the same power as JDM up until the v7 wrx.

Oh, i was under the impression that it was the other way around, Subaru made two types of each car, the JDM sale and the world sale (hence we have NZ new WRXs with Grey injectors and smaller turbos as they were world sales) up to the V7 then from then they we got the same as JDM.

Might be STIs that were sold NZ new as JDM spec cars all the way through like newsuba said.

lunchie said:

that is wrong, the UK got COMPLETELY different cars to NZ NEW. NZ new got the same power as JDM up until the v7 wrx.

Sort of...

WRX GC - UK got cars badged as Impreza Turbo, these were similar to NZ WRX - 155kW/208bhp - 160kW/215bhp.

STI - nothing official in UK until STI v7, then it got a detuned 265bhp trim, just like Oz.

UK STI v8/9 may have been detuned as well.

NZ new GC chassis wrx\'s were the exact same as normal JDM ones (engine wise). Two of my good mates Dads both sold them new, One of them at Southern Motor court in Dunedin and another in Christchurch at the subie dealer. Both say they remember the NZ press into and specs sheets listing the first 1993 wrx at 240HP and they went up a small amount each year until the v4 wrx which was rated at 280(ps)

My understanding is that the UK spec cars were actually closer to singapore spec from what I have read in the UK forums but I can assure you the NZ cars were full fat. A mate of mine owned a lovely NZ new V4 wrx coupe (not RA or STI just WRX) and it laid down 168kw atw with stock everything.

IIRC the first NZ new WRX was the MY96 in EU trim.

I\'ve still got the original NZ Autocar magazine tests and some original NZ sales material - no mention of anything but the 155/160kW engines.

It\'s entirely possible Subaru NZ brought in some early JDM cars for press duties etc.

Also those WRX Limited coupes were not officially imported into NZ.

The first NZ new 2-door (and also first NZ new STI) was the STi v4 coupe.

I\'ll have a look for articles etc. next time I\'m in the archives.

newsuba said:

IIRC the first NZ new WRX was the MY96 in EU trim.

I\'ve still got the original NZ Autocar magazine tests and some original NZ sales material - no mention of anything but the 155/160kW engines.

It\'s entirely possible Subaru NZ brought in some early JDM cars for press duties etc.

Also those WRX Limited coupes were not officially imported into NZ.

The first NZ new 2-door (and also first NZ new STI) was the STi v4 coupe.

I\'ll have a look for articles etc. next time I\'m in the archives.

Hmmm well I am willing to concede that the V1-3 NZ new wrxs may have been detuned slightly but having driven several V4+ wrxs I can say for certain they go as well as the jdm