Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

legacy bd5 centre diff? rwd conversion

Hey, im curious to convert my bd5 rs legacy to rwd.

i was just wondering where would be the best place to buy a centre diff from? also would say a v3/4 sti diff be strong enough?

i would want to convert it back to 4wd later on so would i need to get a diff with the same ratios? or would it not affect the whole 50/50 distribution?

Use the cheapest centre diff you can find. Get it welded and remove the front axles. If you want to return to 4wd, you just put your standard centre diff back in. Need to use empty CV cups to hold the wheel bearings together in the front.

yeap just get whatever diff you got in it at the moment man its going to be welded up anyway so makes no difference if its an sti unit or not, my leggy has been running rwd for over a year now with the standard centre diff welded and its had a hell of a hiding with no problems. One thing I would recomend though is going to an sti rear diff and larger rear halfshafts, snapped a standard halfshaft when I first did the conversion, got it fixed and then busted the whole rear diff so running an sti rear diff now and I got custom thicker halfshafts made up and reshimmed the diff etc and havnt had any sign of a problem since, if its worth doing its worth doing properly......

i ment an sti rear diff, sorry for my wording haha,

yea theres a legacy gearbox on trademe for 100 bucks the same as mine which would be good. ive got all the information on how to do the centre diff.

also wondering if you need to remove the front cv shafts? cuz i dont wanna have to get it certed for a wof

Cheers for the help,

Daniel

I have had my front halfshafts removed and always gets wofs at vtnz no questions asked, as long as you have something setup to hold your front wheel bearings together, mine has custom lathed hubs but have heard of people just using empty cv cups

• 2 weeks later...

ok im keen to do this also. but i want to be able to change back in case i dont like it or decide to get a warrant for my car. i have a 94 rs legacy. just to be sure all i need is:

-centre diff (to be welded up/already welded)

-front cv cups (to hold front hubs together)

-sti rear diff (so i dont wreck my one)

-rear axels (so i dont wreck my ones)

Questions:

is the above right?

is the sti rear diff stronger than the rs legacy one?

would sti rear halfshafts/cvs be stronger than my existing ones?

is swapping the centre diff easy or does the gearbox need to come out or something?

(someone whos done it should make a guide i reckon)

TIA

hhhh1 said:

ok im keen to do this also. but i want to be able to change back in case i dont like it or decide to get a warrant for my car. i have a 94 rs legacy. just to be sure all i need is:

Questions:

is the above right?

is swapping the centre diff easy or does the gearbox need to come out or something?

TIA

yea that list looks good, but if you want to add the sti rear diff and axles you will also need the hubs as i believe the holes are bigger for the sti axles. sti diff will be stronger for sure. centre diff is easy as, you wont need to remove gearbox from the car just remove the rear cover from the gearbox in place.

driftrex']

[quote name='hhhh1 said:

Questions:

is the above right?

TIA

/quote]

yea that list looks good, but if you want to add the sti rear diff and axles you will also need the hubs as i believe the holes are bigger for the sti axles. sti diff will be stronger for sure. centre diff is easy as, you wont need to remove gearbox from the car just remove the rear cover from the gearbox in place.

MAKE SURE YOU DRAIN YOUR OIL FIRST! you might get a nasty surprise if you done