Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

momo air bag wheel

B4 I was 250T

Hi guys and gals :) I\'m getting sick of how shabby my factory momo airbag wheel looks, all the little perforations on the grip have practically disappeared and it just looks like sheite! Can anybody make any recommendations? Do I get it rewrapped or is there something or some magic product that\'ll fix it? Oh, and this isn\'t through any fault of mine, previous owner had fooked it well before I got my hands on it :(

• 1 month later...

Simple to fit, On the side of the wheel there are 2 holes (one each side) uses a star shaped bit, undo these, then lift airbag out, detach airbag plug (hold green bit back then slide plug apart) and undo steering wheel nut 50% of the way, grab the wheel and pull firmly, when it goes clunk remove the nut (don\'t remove completely before removing as you may damage clock spring and will smash yourself in the face with the wheel)

Unplug the horn plug and carefully remove the wheel, Carefully place the wheel on and put everything back together.

Airbags are not as dangerous as they make out, As long as you are careful you won\'t do any damage. There is no need to disconnect the battery, just leave the ignition off, and don\'t throw the airbag around (although i still couldn\'t set one off by throwing it at a wall several times)

jost said:

Simple to fit, On the side of the wheel there are 2 holes (one each side) uses a star shaped bit, undo these, then lift airbag out, detach airbag plug (hold green bit back then slide plug apart) and undo steering wheel nut 50% of the way, grab the wheel and pull firmly, when it goes clunk remove the nut (don\'t remove completely before removing as you may damage clock spring and will smash yourself in the face with the wheel)

Unplug the horn plug and carefully remove the wheel, Carefully place the wheel on and put everything back together.

Airbags are not as dangerous as they make out, As long as you are careful you won\'t do any damage. There is no need to disconnect the battery, just leave the ignition off, and don\'t throw the airbag around (although i still couldn\'t set one off by throwing it at a wall several times)

Um wrong, the correct way, which is suggested in EVERY manual I have ever read is to disconnect the battery and wait for about 1/2 hour, although the SRS system is fairly safe, the air bag units DO have an explosive device in them, that should never ever go of without the right trigger BUT there are stories and I have seen one go off by itself sitting on the bench so I would suggest that" better safe than sorry"

The actual system it\'s self is safe, it is not possible to trigger the airbag by unplugging it or plugging it back in, It\'s triggered by a capacitor discharge from the srs control module, this capacitor is not self discharging so unplugging the battery won\'t do anything. Try opening an old srs control unit that hasn\'t been triggered even months after being removed the capacitor will still have a charge.

It takes 2 sensors to detect an impact and trigger the airbag(s). Unless there was a fault with the system before removing the airbag you won\'t have any issues.

The main reason for removing the battery is when replacing damaged components on a car that has had a sensor trigger, Then you disconnect the battery to help prevent voltage spikes when plugging in and unplugging the srs control system.

Airbags out of the vehicle are actually more dangerous than ones fitted to the car. When in the car they are earthed through the vehicles body, when not in the car they can be subject to static electricity which can potentially in a very unfortunate set of circumstances could cause them to trigger.

The main reason for disconnection of the batter (mainly on newer late OBD2 and CANBUS) cars is to prevent error codes when making changes to interconnected systems.

But as mentioned you can disconnect the battery if you wanted to, there is no need to wait 30 mins, just pushing the brake pedal will remove any capacitance in the cars electrics but the srs unit will still retain the charge in the units capacitors.