Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

4EAT 50/50 diff lock.

nickmcgill

yeah seems odd . i figured they were 50/50 viscous like evrything else but then they have the fuse holder on the fire wall written "FWD" apparently for making them fwd to dyno test them at the factory . well i was told this but it makes no sense really .

what he is describing is a backwards dccd with way more range than a normal one

my 94 gt auto does not appear to be 90/10 at any stage . it will hook o s on grass / drift on gravel

be interesting to see what arises

Timmah found this which seems to be a bit more realistic.

http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/61-general-discussions/45751-official-subaru-torque-split-information.html

I only asked because I\'m running a spacey on the rear at the moment and I notice the AT is all confused which I\'m guessing is because it\'s thinking the back left corner is slipping since it\'s a smaller diameter to the other wheels.

Hence should I be using the FWD fuse in this instance.

i always understood / got told by the internet / possibly imagined thats why most 4wd autos have an easily pulled fuse as a "limp mode" to limp round on spaceys

i also thought joker had the fuse on his hackwagon rigged to the handbrake switch for err, reasons

lachlan said:

yeah seems odd . i figured they were 50/50 viscous like evrything else but then they have the fuse holder on the fire wall written "FWD" apparently for making them fwd to dyno test them at the factory . well i was told this but it makes no sense really .

what he is describing is a backwards dccd with way more range than a normal one

my 94 gt auto does not appear to be 90/10 at any stage . it will hook o s on grass / drift on gravel

be interesting to see what arises

The purpose of making it FWD is for towing purposes I believe.

I\'ve had to tow mine a couple of times short distances IE under 5KM but chucked the fwd fuse in from memory.

I\'ll bang it in tomorrow all the time.

I would never run a space saver on the front due to the terrible nature of them and if it failed I would want to still be able to steer.

• General Member

http://www.subaruforester.org/vbulletin/f137/anyone-tow-your-forester-flat-behind-rv-98219/

https://www.subaru.com/my-subaru/my-account/car-care-tips.html][/url]

Manual Transmission Models

All-Wheel Drive vehicles can be towed with all four wheels on the ground in neutral or with all four wheels off the ground on a trailer with the transmission in gear. Never attempt towing with only two wheels on the ground or two wheels on a dolly. Front-Wheel Drive vehicles can be towed with all four wheels on the ground in neutral or with the two front wheels off the ground.

Automatic Transmission Models

All-Wheel Drive vehicles cannot be towed with any wheels on the ground. The vehicle can only be towed on a trailer with all four wheels off the ground and the transmission in park. Front-Wheel Drive vehicles can be towed with front wheels off the ground or all four wheels off the ground and transmission in park.

and

http://editorial.autos.msn.com/article.aspx?cp-documentid=435052

Subaru spokesman Rob Moran' date=' for example, notes that the owner\'s manuals for all new Subaru Forester, Legacy and Impreza models—basically every Subaru with standard all-wheel drive—tell drivers that all four wheels need to be off the ground when a Subaru is towed. This is also known as flat-bedding.

or

http://www.cars101.com/towing.html#towing%20behind%20a%20motorhome

[center']Towing a Subaru behind a motorhome or a tow truck

The following is from Subaru Helpline Update, Feb 1999

updated November 2009 about automatic and CVT transmission[/center]

There has been a change to the policy regarding towing of Subaru vehicles behind motorhomes. The following applies to 1990 through present model year Legacy (Including Outback), 1993 through present year Impreza (incl. Outback Sport), and 1992 through present year SVX. (Note: should also include 1998 through present year Forester. Joe)

The factory hitch is 1.25" a 2" hitch can be installed aftermarket

Manual Transmission:

All Wheel Drive vehicles can be towed with all four wheels on the ground or with all four wheels off the ground on a trailer but towing an AWD vehicle must never be attempted with only two wheels on the ground or two wheels on a dolly.

STI, to tow: DCCD must be in manual mode, with the DCCD control dial set to the furthest rearward position (rolled toward rear seat).

Front Wheel Drive vehicles can be towed with all four wheels on the ground in neutral or with the two front wheels off the ground.

Automatic Transmission:

November 2009. Automatic transmission and CVT vehicles can be towed with all wheels on the ground in an emergency for very short distance (under 31 miles) and at very slow speed (under 20mph).

AWD automatic 4 and 5 speed vehicles should not be towed with any wheels on the ground. The vehicle can only be towed on a trailer with all 4 wheels off the ground and the transmission in park.

oh wow formating : I aint cleaning that up

you\'re right, that was terrible

so if the auto has a multi plate clutch does that mean we can put it in backwards and have a gtr style 4wd ?

being direct rear drive and a vairable % fed to the front from 0-50 ?

for anyone who doesnt know thats what a gtr has . its a rwd car that has a seperate wet clutch slipped a variable amount to power the front drive shaft

all 4 and 5 spd autos are a mechanical (gear) drive to the front wheels,

So possible drive ratings are from 100% front to 50% front /50%rear

The rear drive is thru a multi plate clutch whether it be MPT or the VTD design

cant see a way without removing the front diff crownwheel and then increasing the strength or the rear drive output to even make it work