Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Running On 2 Cylinders :(

lowandy

• Admin
 Eight dollar said:

its a waste spark system - so failed ignitor / coil would kill a pair of cyl\'s on opposite banks

arcing noise makes it sound like leads is your problem

are you 100% the cam and pass side inlet cam timing is perfect , a tooth out and the cam/crank phasing goes out the window

If a failed coil should kill a pair on opposite banks, yet he can pull both leads off one bank and it doesn\'t change, I wonder if it\'s got a failed coil and the leads are connected wrong?

Ok so swapped over to a different coilpack off a mates car and still didnt fix it. So what would the odds be that both leads are lacking to give enough spark? Ive got offset leads so 2 are longer than the other 2 but on my mates cars he has equal length ones so i couldnt try them out.

I still have to try swap out injectors to see if thats the problem. If anyone on the North Shore able to give me a hand maybe to diagnose the problem or have a spare set of injectors laying around. (Any working ones will do)

If thats not it then i will get it towed to a mechanics.

Tried it with o2 unplugged = no difference

I also put a screwdriver on the injectors to hear the ticking and ehich all 4 were ticking, also i suspect that the "arcing" noise is actually coming from the injectors as it has the same pulse and sound to it. Any ideas?

This sounds rangi as anything but will answer your problems in a way

if you can get an injector, then cool - use it to plug onto each plug and see if it ticks on all 4

Spark plugs - if you remove lead and earth one plug to something while lead is plugged in you can see the spark (be fricken wary doing it mind you and I\'ve only suggested this for lols)

if you have 4/4 fuel and spark then your problem lies elsewhere - for all we know it\'s skipped a cam tooth on one bank or something and just running like ass and only "seems" like it\'s on 2

I dont have access to another injector so might grab one from pickapart if i cant figure out anything else.

I have pulled the cam cover off and checked the marks, when i replaced my waterpump i had to mark the belt and cams obviously. I will grab a photo as best i can with the limited space.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Well i feel like a complete idiot. After doing all the ignition test it was still running badly so me and my cousin swapped the spark plugs from my 250t and grabbed the set from my donor car gtb to rule out it was the spark plugs. Still the same result and decided id take it into my mates workshop within the week. My cousin mentioned to me that he thought the leads might have been on the wrong cyl so lead #2 on cyl #4. I found that weird as i hadnt swapped them but none the less i swapped them the day before taking it into the workshop and guess what, she runs mint. I was confused at why they were swapped as i hadnt done it myself. This is what im 99% sure what happened, i got water from the sprinklers on the coilpack and was misfiring, i pulled the leads off the plugs and let them dry out, i pulled the plugs out and checked them and got the socket stuck on one of the plugs trying to put them back in, i gave up and let my mates take over while i walked off my frustration 8) and im guessing they put them on the wrong way and thats what gave me a huge headache for a month hahaha i knew after doing all the test that it would be something small and stupid but didnt realize that. Thanks everyone for the help and im really sorry to waste everyone time

• Admin
 boon']

[quote name='Eight dollar said:

its a waste spark system - so failed ignitor / coil would kill a pair of cyl\'s on opposite banks

arcing noise makes it sound like leads is your problem

are you 100% the cam and pass side inlet cam timing is perfect , a tooth out and the cam/crank phasing goes out the window

/quote]

If a failed coil should kill a pair on opposite banks, yet he can pull both leads off one bank and it doesn\'t change, I wonder if it\'s got a failed coil and the leads are connected wrong?

I did say something like this at one point :)