Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Buying Advice

Hi guys,

I'm new to this forum and relatively new to subaru's so be nice ;)

Anyway, I have been on the hunt for a really nice GTB recently and have found two I really like.

GTB #1:

Full leather

168,000km

completely stock

Has been in New zealand for two years and one owner in NZ

Twin airbags

$5500

GTB #2:

driver airbag

completely stock - except :

motor has been fully reconditioned and done 2000km on re-build.

$4800

What would be your choice? I am swaying towards #1 because of twin airbags and leather but #2 seems good in the sense that the engine is practically brand new.

All your help so greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Chris

#2 FTW!! other one has high kms and if you are going to keep it long you will mostly have problems - BEB wise

getting leather seats etc would cost less than a rebuild lol

gtb's all wagons lol? bh im guessing?

• General Member

BG up till 98, BH 98+

yep GTB = Wagon from FOREVER

leather is not as advantage

on second thoughts if you can get receipts for work done 2nd may be better, but still need work doing to the rest of the package (shock/mounts etc()

I can get all receipts etc. Sorry don't know models as I didnt know they existed! lol

Anyway might go and have a look at #2 on Sunday (and see receipts- Dane Harte at Performance Zone, Whakatane) and see what it is like.

Anything I should look out for? If I like the car is it worth getting an AA check? Or are these relatively useless as I hear they are sometimes?

Thanks heaps for the help

I would suggest if you plan on giving the car a bit of sh*t to get a no excess/unlimited claims warranty. Otherwise have spare money aside for an engine. They love to kill themselves.

Other than that, check the left rear shock isnt f*cked - they always seem to die too.

The main things Ive had go wrong with mine (and I havent been that nice to it - its seen a few autocrosses, Targa as a safety car and been round Manfield) are shocks, bushes, brake rotors and pads. Ohh that and blowing a set of piston rings due to detonation = buggered engine.

They are also getting old enough now that you will find rust in some spots, so check over the car thoroughly and take someone who knows Subbies with you to have a look at it.

Twin airbags

What would be your choice? I am swaying towards #1 because of twin airbags and leather but #2 seems good in the sense that the engine is practically brand new.

All your help so greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Chris

;D do you plan on crashing ;D

if so get # 1 hahahhaha

chrisjunkie said:

No but I want nice as well as reliable. I must sound like the ultimate noob and sorry for that.

Maybe I will just keep waiting... ???

na mate at the end of the day you gotta get what you like if your keen on #1 then get it, its just more likely that you will be joining the BeB club sooner rather than later.

Are they both the same shape?

If they are, then i'd hit Number two. Leather is a right PITA when pushing it. slippy styles.

Look out for rust around the front and rear screens. When i bought my wrx, i was looking at legacies, and 3 out of 4 had rust. When i bought my legacy absurdly cheaply at auction, i found a receipt for rust removal around rear screen. At the time it was done, the car was less than 8 years old.

OK thanks for all of the advice so far... what is BeB?

As I may have already said I have a mate that can do the cambelt (on #1) if I want. What else is likely to go wrong at high k's?

After doing a bit of wikipedia'ing I have come to believe that this is a Third Generation legacy (#1) BH - you can tell by the way it looks compared to the 2nd gen. I was reading that the 3rd gen fixed problems that the 2nd gen had with head gaskets etc?

Cheers

Chris

Big End Bearing. means serious engine problem :P

#1 is a BH, #2 is a BG. so two different versions. similar, but the BH is the new style one, so you might like the look more. some people don't like leather seats for track work etc, as it is slippery. is it a full leather interior, or a half leather half mesh? I have the latter in my 99 B4, no complaints there.

The reason people are advising you to buy #2, with the engine rebuild, is because you start to run into some problems with twin turbos as they get older. and a BEB failure is not something you want. so the advice is, get the car that is (hopefully, nothing is guaranteed) not going to require a new engine as soon. but if you like the new shape, interior, etc. of the BH (I wouldn't blame you) then get that, just keep in mind that you might need to do some serious engine work in the future. if your mate really is a subie guy, he may be able to help you out there. but it'll be more than just a cambelt. more like engine swap.

chrisjunkie said:

ok so if I am still undecided maybe it will be better to save up some more and get a lower k's BH?

At first I didn't know why I liked the BH over the BG but then realised they look subtly different.

yes. and subtly? only if you're blind... :P

do not buy from a man who has no teeth.

do not buy from a man with a false eye.

do not buy from a man with more tattoos than you.

do not buy from a man with a false leg.

do not buy from a man in a cheap suit.

do not buy from a man with more chains than B.A Barrakas.

do not buy from a menstrual woman.

Follow my golden rules when buying a vehicle and you will have a happy life with your new car!

That is all.

Just because the BH model hasnt had a rebuild dont all start scaremongering that it will run a big end, the number of "rebuilt" TT's ive seen eat shit is well up there. As long as no.1 option doesnt have a bearing noise OR over the top piston noise it will be the better option. The less a car has been touched the better, in terms of repairs AND modifications. P.S BH models are a fair bit nicer than the BG model

EJ20T said:

Just because the BH model hasnt had a rebuild dont all start scaremongering that it will run a big end, the number of "rebuilt" TT's ive seen eat **** is well up there. As long as no.1 option doesnt have a bearing noise OR over the top piston noise it will be the better option. The less a car has been touched the better, in terms of repairs AND modifications. P.S BH models are a fair bit nicer than the BG model

I certainly agree, there are no guarantees that a rebuilt engine, or a lower k engine, will not self-destruct. In my opinion, the most important factor is the servicing and treatment the engine has endured. If taken good care of, there is no reason to worry. If I were buying a BH, however, (and I just bought a BE- the sedan, so this is what I did) I wanted to get a well looked-after car with reasonably low km's. so my advice is to ignore all the BG's, and find a low k BH. :P

Guest loren

#1 IMO. I would rather have a stock motor of 168km than a motor rebuilt with who knows what parts and by who knows what muppet mechanic.