Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

5th gear jumping and popping out V6 STI

shore_boy

good score. i\'ve seen a few variants of the same part, should work fine though.

pull it apart and give a good clean first. while its in bits and in your hands, slide the selector ring over the new hub and find the orientation with the least friction. over time these two parts will wear into each other.

it might be ok. depends how much abuse 5th has seen i guess. i found mine was a little distorted and only slid freely in one orientation

there will be 6 total orientations you can try. 3 positions at 120 degrees and 3 again, inverted. the small clips ONLY fit in the slightly wider grooves on the inside of the ring. ask if this doesn\'t make sense but should become obvious

you can also choose the best brass syncro rings out of the pair. better should have sharper teeth

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

kamineko said:

good score. i\'ve seen a few variants of the same part, should work fine though.

pull it apart and give a good clean first. while its in bits and in your hands, slide the selector ring over the new hub and find the orientation with the least friction. over time these two parts will wear into each other.

it might be ok. depends how much abuse 5th has seen i guess. i found mine was a little distorted and only slid freely in one orientation

there will be 6 total orientations you can try. 3 positions at 120 degrees and 3 again, inverted. the small clips ONLY fit in the slightly wider grooves on the inside of the ring. ask if this doesn\'t make sense but should become obvious

you can also choose the best brass syncro rings out of the pair. better should have sharper teeth

Spent a good 20mins on my back last night working it all out with the old part so I\'m quite familiar with all the points you mentioned. mine was exactly the same in terms of it fitting in only one way/orientation so I\'ll just be patient with the new one.

My synchro rings are a world apart and it really good nick by comparison so I\'ll definitely leave theirs off when I get round to cleaning it up. Gonna have a practice install with the old synchro and work it all out so that I don\'t damage my new one. Hopefully all goes well.

Little worried as I found a stray washer after attaching my transfer case to my center diff... Will post a diagram soon of where I think it belongs. Don\'t think it\'s too important, well it doesn\'t look that way at least...

Number 27 (circled in red) is what I assume that I missed if this is vital would appreciate a word of knowledge. I\'m well aware that all parts function together however, i\'m 19 and still learning so shit happens...

More than happy to pull her apart again another gasket isn\'t the end of the world!

difflq3_zps2e16de35.jpg

it could be. seems it was still stuck to the case in this picture? just guessing here, don\'t have my pictures on hand to check

IMAG0153_zpsacd23bd7.jpg

#30 also looks like a simiar part?

um yeah can\'t tell you what will happen if you omit that part but everything in the box is put there for a reason :)

kamineko said:

it could be. seems it was still stuck to the case in this picture? just guessing here, don\'t have my pictures on hand to check

IMAG0153_zpsacd23bd7.jpg

#30 also looks like a simiar part?

um yeah can\'t tell you what will happen if you omit that part but everything in the box is put there for a reason :)

I put all of the parts on the transfer case and diff into a box and took them to Subaru for confirmation on the gaskets. As you pointed out it was indeed still in tact at the time of the photo (probably just being held by the fluid).

After putting everything together and sealing i looked in the box again and found the washer so i had a look for the diagram online and found that.

I don\'t think that the number 30 washer is big enough to fit over number 31 but seeing as im going to pull it apart i\'ll have a look and see.

Eight dollar said:

that washer controls end float of the rear output shaft - it needs to be fitted

note to an earlier post - the gaskets MUST be fitted as they are part of the "stack" height of the box

Removing them will change shaft clearances

Thanks for that mate, always best to be safer than sorry.

I like using gaskets too. Other members say they have had no problems and i have no doubt as you all provide good feedback on a daily basis. But I like the feeling of putting it back together the way it was intended to be.

So after numerous attempts on Friday night I finally found my problem! The problem was that I could get every gear BUT reverse. So after reading through DIY threads numerous times it was clear that you either get every gear or no gears at all.

Here are a few photos I\'ve robbed from ETF\'s thread, all credit to him and here\'s a link to his write up (http://www.clubsub.org.nz/forum/index.php/topic,26913.0.html) about the /replacementof the synchro that I replaced about two weeks ago.

2rrrqk2.jpg

When the synchro is pushed out toward the \'claws\' of the clasp it is in reverse. This is the opposite of fifth gear and this is where the problem was.

Here is a video describing what I believe caused my input shaft nut to come loose and what prevented us from putting this all back the very first time two weeks ago. Sorry for the poor dialogue, it\'s the first time for me so hopefully it\'s alright.

Skip to 1:50 if you don\'t want to hear about what i understand regarding the functions, parts and assembly.

Thanks to everyone who has provided feedback and answered my questions throughout.

i wonder if we will see more youtube technical questions in the future.. :)

a) how the heck did you remove the bearing part, i thought it was welded in

b) have you tried all orientations of the selector hub ring?

kamineko said:

kamineko']

i wonder if we will see more youtube technical questions in the future.. :)

a) how the heck did you remove the bearing part, i thought it was welded in

b) have you tried all orientations of the selector hub ring?

[quote name='evowrx said:

Are those black/scarred bits the weld dude?

Absolutely stoked to see some take the time to view the video. Really appreciate that guys. The video was just a result of wanting to share something with the forum rather than always asking for something.

As for your questions I\'ll answer them tonight with some pictures and potentially a descriptive video as I\'m at uni currently.

To answer your questions...

First photo is the 5th gear synchro hub assembled and loosely assembled just so you have an idea of what it looked like before and after.

IMG_1434_zpsb1dbafb7.jpg

IMAG0163_zps9925ef7b.jpg

The following photos are compilations of some of the parts that came out.

damagecompiled_zps7fbaf5a8.jpg

Bearinghousingcompiled_zps04d74195.jpg

Synchroringcompiled_zps8994bcc9.jpg

IMAG0178_zpsdd0f828d.jpg

The video explains my thoughts and I make mentios that you should have a look at the photos before hand because you get a better idea of what i\'m trying to say. I did also say that I\'ll describe here in words but I don\'t think that\'s necessary anymore...

****Please note that in the video I say that info can be found \'on my forum\' I mean on my thread and I also say that i rested the synchro \'on a punch\' i meant to say vice. ****

Anyways, here\'s the link

i\'ll go first:

wtf!

looks like damage from a very poor installation previously, not wear and tear...?

could that dformed part have been manufactured wrongly? it looks so very wrong

tomorrow i will have a look at/pull apart my spare

you couldn\'t use the whole 2nd hand unit you got from the wreckers?

i\'m still frowning :-\

hokay watched your 2nd vid

still unusual shape. do you think its worn on the angle inside there?

disregard my question about using the 2nd hand one. i see that you have.

you tested 3 positions of the syncro hub ring but if you flip the ring you can try the other 3. if none work, was it the original pair? try polishing/abusing the grooves with a wire brush wheel on a drill :D

so you do have all gears working now? i might be out of sync with where you are at. been a long day

Yes it does look as if it was a very poof install on Subaru\'s behalf but I can\'t really come to the conclusion that the fault was on the factories behalf as we\'re all aware that there are very few Impreza\'s that have had an easy life.

Just beware of pulling it apart because I\'m sure that the parts must\'ve been pressed together. You will NEVER get them back in and seated perfectly.

I can say that the part that sits within the ring is wider on one side that on the other and is not flush (if I had a vernier I would\'ve shown that). I see where you\'re coming from but having come to the conclusion that it is not the outer ring but instead the inner ring that is too wide to fit I honestly think that whoever purchased the car with that installed never had a reverse gear.

Yes all is working perfectly and there is absolutely no play in my fifth and reverse gears. Really pleased with the result and how it all worked out.