Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

What grade engine oil for a track day?

Flat4

Optical']

Just a word on the ELF. I have used it on the track for years, but it drops pressure significantly with heat.

It likes to run in the 80-90C range, pressure drop is significant beyond that

What oil temp do you see daily? and what temp after a hard lap?

[quote name='lostnzder said:

I usually use penrite 10w-50, my car has high k\'s. can\'t rate the stuff high enough, good oil full syn, and was on special at repco just last weekend for $48. Not sure if it still is though. But for track day I\'m gonna use a racing oil I got from agip, it\'s a 10w-60. Work paid for it, not that they know yet haha. Also a good thing to note not sure if it\'s been mention here yet, is the letters that come after the rating, further down the alphabet the better, but also dosnt last as long. Cause it will have more conditioning additives.

Dude you will find a CI as opposed to a CF generally an extended drain. Castrol do a CJ 5w30 which matches the new 503/507 VW spec for 20thou iirc. i dont supply it so not sure on it. Also just coz its SN/highest spec does not make it the best for your car. Oil spec needs to match what its going in. Goes for additives also its not the later the spec the more additives.

Let us know how that oil goes but if you ring Paul thats not what he will tell you to pour in it...

Hmmm maybe I gots it round the wrong way in terms of oil life, yeah I\'m not 100% sure on the 10w60 I mentioned, like wouldn\'t use as my daily that\'s for sure, but I\'m thinking with the added abuse might be good for a high k engine to still have some thickness at high heat. I\'m def not an expert on these things but yeah these are my thinkings.??

Its not about the viscosity thats measured at *kind of* a certain temp from what I understand and 2 different 10W60 may be at high or low ends of the 10 or the 60 so not perfectly equal. It comes back to the graph and info which you dont get so have to take peoples word on. As far as handling a beating a full syn is like a GE human - everything but the best is left out.

Give Paul a ring, Im guessing you know which of the 4 Im talking about lol. No ones an expert on oil its a mindfuk start to finish.

I daily drove with 10w-60 I don\'t get how it would be bad for daily duties apart from the price

Theory behind oils with a viscosity range like that is you have to change them a lot more often when there\'s a big difference like that between the cold/hot rating. Closer viscosities like a 15-40 should have a longer service interval that say a 10-50 before the oil becomes less (for lack of better wording) effective

Just a bit of useless info though really

Roo said:

I daily drove with 10w-60 I don\'t get how it would be bad for daily duties apart from the price

Theory behind oils with a viscosity range like that is you have to change them a lot more often when there\'s a big difference like that between the cold/hot rating. Closer viscosities like a 15-40 should have a longer service interval that say a 20-50 before the oil becomes less (for lack of better wording) effective

Just a bit of useless info though really

Sae wut? On a 5k service all oils should handle that even a red stamp. a lot of people run out to 10k on petrol, 15k on diesel. Fair few trucks going out to 20k on CJ-4 as per mitzi/DAF dealer recommendation.

People get so hung up on viscosity but most dont under stand the SM/CF side of things.