Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Chasing a new water leak after coolant change/flush

Rosssub

Yesterday I did a full engine flush/coolant change, fresh oil/filter and 2 cans of Upper Cylinder Cleaner after replacing the blown Secondary Turbo. Thought all was well...

This afternoon I noticed the Water as down a bit. Thought it was just an air pocket clearing out. While topping it up I noticed a fast drip from the front left sump corner:

Water_Pump_024.jpg

Dripping so fast, it wasn\'t going anywhere. I thought since it\'s happened over night it must just be a split hose from the flush etc, so I started digging.

I figured it can\'t be the Water Pump, the seller said the belt etc was done when I brought it at 196000, now at 214000.

Thermostat housing wasn\'t leaking, no split hoses.

Water_Pump_023.jpg

Thought It might be the short joiner hose at the top:

Water_Pump_011.jpg

Pulled my Alternator and AC Pump out and checked the hose, no leaks/drips anywhere:

Water_Pump_026.jpg

No leaks at the Header Tank end (base of Header Tank goes straight to Water Pump):

Water_Pump_017.jpg

Found no splits/leaks anywhere, top of block is bone dry front and back... Bugger

Water_Pump_029.jpg

I brought the car at 196000 with a new Cam Belt, yip, ok:

Water_Pump_031.jpg

Looks more like the belts done 115000kms plus.

Water_Pumpt_001.jpg

Water Pump is F\'d, almost 2mm shaft play and fresh water leak marks out the shaft\'s bearing hole:

Water_Pumpt_003.jpg

It\'s still not going anywhere in a hurry. :-[

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

funkytown said:

well thats average to s***....

i hope you give the old owner a friendly phone call.

I was planning a wee trip to see him in person, but that won\'t get me anywhere. Probably a good thing it started leaking. Now I know it needs a new belt etc now, rather than when it snaps at 235000. All Idler bearings are dry/loose, I\'ve re-greased them for now.

Karma hasn\'t finished kicking me in the balls just yet.

Last night it started raining, the car\'s half under a porch. I ran out and connected the battery to wind the windows up.

Dumbass me half asleep and not thinking, leaning into the car standing up. Turned the key one click too far. ::)

With my dead Water Pump out and Cam Belt half off. :-\ The engine only just turned and I didn\'t hear any thing nasty so I didn\'t think too much of it at the time. Got a new Pump today and fitted it.

Water_Pump_In_001.jpg

Then refitted the old Belt, Tensioner Bearings re-greased. Lower Idler left off till last:

Water_Pump_In_004.jpg

Then lifted the Tensioner gently with a lever and inserted a pin (drill bit) to lock it.

Water_Pump_In_005.jpg

Showing Belt Slack with Tensioner Released/Locked Up, now the Lower Idler can go in:

Water_Pump_In_006.jpg

All Timing Marks lined up, Lower Idler in, Tensioner released:

Water_Pump_In_015.jpg

Tensioner released, Drill Bit removed:

Water_Pump_In_009.jpg

Then checked all Timing Marks again.

One Cam is one tooth out (Right Bank Exhaust Cam)

Water_Pump_In_011.jpg

Adjusted the "Out" Exhaust Cam by releasing the Tensioner again, giving Belt slack. Then removing the Lower Idler again.

Then clamped the Upper (Inlet) Cam and used the Belt slack to spin the Lower Cam:

Water_Pump_In_014.jpg

Then installed the Lower Idler again, released the Tensioner again. Then re-check Timing Marks. All good both sides and Crank mark verticle. :)

Water_Pump_In_016.jpg

Now you would normally turn the Engine over 5 times by hand, then re-check all Timing Marks. If all still ok, reinstall Belt Covers/Radiator/Fans ETC. Finished ;D

I started to do a 5 rotation/Timing Mark check...

Clunk... :-\

Fu*k .....

Bent Valve :-[

Nice one Dip Sh*t ::)

Turning the Crank by hand, I can turn almost 45\'/360\' normal rotation (clockwise), then "clunk" in the Right Bank/Piston hitting bent Valve.

Going backwards (anti clock) I can turn the crank/engine maybe 135\'/360\', then "clunk" in the right bank. Piston hitting bent Valve.

So my Complete Suspension Bush Change/Secondary Turbo Replacement/Engine Flush/Oil Change/Coolant Change/Water Leak/New Water Pump/Dumbass Turns Ignition On.

Is now Bent Valve (or Valve\'s)/Turbo\'s Out/Manifolds Off/Heads Off/Valves out or Replacement Heads.

With My Big End now at 214000, I may as well throw in a new Short Block while I\'m at it. I would hate to fix it then have the BEB go in 3-6 months. Feel free to laugh, can\'t do much else ;D Should be an interesting write up by the time I\'m done. Maybe it\'s wanting a V7 Short Block?

Yeah, may as well ;D They say everything happens for a reason...

Worst part is the Legacy is blocking in my other vehicle (Surf), with it\'s Gear Box currently on my kitchen table in pieces (lost 5th). So I have till Monday morning to find a good second hand Hilux Surf box and put it in.

Then the Subaru can go where the truck is for 3-6 months. ::)

Was wishing you\'d posted up i have a brand new water pump sitting wrapped up on a shelf in my garage but then you said about the bent valve

Tough luck mate will be cool when it\'s going again, i hate that feeling when your time frames for completion suddenly jump from days to months :/

Roo']

Was wishing you\'d posted up i have a brand new water pump sitting wrapped up on a shelf in my garage but then you said about the bent valve

Tough luck mate will be cool when it\'s going again, i hate that feeling when your time frames for completion suddenly jump from days to months :/

The New Water Pump was $99.50 at BNT. I\'m gutted, I rolled it into the shed to raise it 10mm then noticed the water leak. Now it\'s stuffed :-\

[quote name='evowrx said:

Get on the phone to fbssub1.

Cheers, will have to wait at least a month before making calls though. The new Water Pump was the end of my budget for now. The Surf\'s Gear Box will be on a tab already ::)

evowrx said:

What do you need for the lux box? I have a friend who could be very helpful and cheap.

It\'s just missing a few 5th Gear Teeth, from a failed Bush falling in:

http://toyotasurf.asn.au/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=32792

box_open_002.jpg

sandwich_005.jpgbike_snorkel_fit_019.jpg

I know of a working second hand, local box I can hopefully check out tomorrow and pick up for $400. Fingers crossed.

So its just 5th gear you need? and it presses onto the shaft? Can give you a number to call on monday if you want? Could save a few pennies. Hes an ex toyota lad was there for years and years knows all the part numbers off his head etc to this day.

evowrx said:

So its just 5th gear you need? and it presses onto the shaft? Can give you a number to call on monday if you want? Could save a few pennies. Hes an ex toyota lad was there for years and years knows all the part numbers off his head etc to this day.

Yeah just need 5th Gear Cog, presses onto splined shaft.

Mint, thanks.

Need it going by Monday (hopefully), but If all fails I\'ll PM you for some contacts. Cheers.

Edit: This would be an ok thread if the title was changed to "How Not To Change A Water Pump". :)

Picked up a very dirty looking Surf Box this afternoon, it\'s been sitting for well over a year. Fluid wasn\'t too bad, fingers crossed it\'s ok.

New_Box_001.jpg?noCache=1391245992New_Box_002.jpg?noCache=1391246131New_Box_004.jpg?noCache=1391246214New_Box_006.jpg?noCache=1391246284New_Box_009.jpg?noCache=1391246388New_Box_011.jpg?noCache=1391246456New_Box_015.jpg?noCache=1391246568

Tomorrow after the truck comes out, a couple of mates are going to help push the Legacy into the shed for the Motor to come out... ::)

Damn that sucks man.

I don\'t know about anyone else but I really enjoy reading your posts. They are always very informative with pictures indicating what is what. Very helpful for people like me who aren\'t up to the play with bits inside the car. Thanks for good reads!

ryn said:

Damn that sucks man.

I don\'t know about anyone else but I really enjoy reading your posts. They are always very informative with pictures indicating what is what. Very helpful for people like me who aren\'t up to the play with bits inside the car. Thanks for good reads!

Thanks Ryn, good to hear ;D I\'ve taken a heap of pics today, for a full \'Engine Removal\' write up, should have it up in a day or two ;)