Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Wrx or STI

spicyHam

Hi, had a look at this car today. http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=693816658 Didn\'t get to drive it or see it in action, but Im a bit of a Nub and can\'t tell if it\'s a tarted up WRX or a proper STI? The spoilers, red headers, roof scoop and intercooler look like STI trademarks, but the bumper without foglight caps and strut brace look more WRX to me.

Is there a definitive way to tell? I know some coupe R STI\'s had DCCD but not sure if that was all of them or not. Ive googled it and info on the subject is surprisingly hard to find.... ::) any help would be appreciated. :)

Best is get the chassis code, everything that easily indicates it is a sti can easily be bolted on.

Roof scoop came on multiple models wasn\'t just sti, foglights are an option as heaps of sti\'s out there with headlights.

For the fact that it isn\'t being advertised as an STI, I would err on the side it is a wrx. But could be wrong, a chassis code check with the guys on here or at a subaru dealer will confirm what it is.

spicyHam said:

I suppose WRX\'s are still decent cars, but if im going to get an impreza I want the real deal not an imitation. I\'ve been told the gearboxes and some engine components aren\'t as well built either which is offputting.

Gearbox is a croc. Different ratios etc spread thro the models but no benefit between sti and not other than ratios which are all over the place anyway.

Think thats a members car iirc seen the pics on here somewhere.

Lol at the plate covered in only one pic.

gotasuby said:

the type r non sti has roof scoop. sti has no roof scoop. its opposite for the RA

That is weird as hell. Though the page backs it up.

roof scoop \'non STI\' http://www.type-ra.com/impreza-my98-subaru-impreza-wrx-type-r-v-limited/

non roof scoop STI http://www.type-ra.com/impreza-my98-subaru-impreza-wrx-type-r-sti-version-specs/

The scoop, colour schemes and front bumper are obvious differences, but as far as the specs go they appear to be mechanically the same?

Get the sti to start with if its what you want

Buying the "almost the same" model youll forever be wanting to upgrade, and youll be another guy spouting about how his jdm wrx is like totes the same as a proper sti anyway

It is a nice looking car though

If I bought an sti instead of the wrx I got it wouldve been a rebuilt V4 hatch. Happy with the deal I got for the money I had but if I bought an sti I wouldnt be where I am now knee deep wanting more from it. It would probably have been walbro, G4, tune and leave it.

Cant go past a V5/6 sti bang for buck if shopping for a wrx imo.

There doesn\'t seem to be anything else comparable locally at the moment, hence why this one drew my attention.

I care most about the drivetrain, but I did notice that the brake spec is a bit lower on the non STI version.

Maybe applies to suspension components as well, just guessing though.

I understand the pain of spec envy, buying a N/A mr2 when I should have got a turbo one >.<

evowrx said:

Struts, springs, brakes, intercooler piping, sprayer, front arms, forged pistons, better cams and shim under, resaleable value, power, turbo, etc.

gave Winger a ring and asked about it. You\'re right, while they produce the same power on paper, the engines are NOT the same. I couldnt get detailed data but I was told it had cast rather than forged pistons.

Guess my question is answered, thanks for the responses!