• Raised $0.00

issus with big amps

QRAF

• Admin
 evowrx']

[quote name='QRAF said:

lol so no putting it in a fusion box

/quote]

No, it will sound like anus in a sealed box, the DDs are extremely stiff subs and need a ported box in order to actually get some meaningful excursion going on.

So basically my sony 600w amp/1200w max sub in standard repco style box isnt a great setup lulz. Sounds are complex? Ive always thought a respectable set of 6\'s, 6x9\'s and a 12" sub did the trick nicely. :D

There\'s nothing inherently wrong with that as a setup. But the difference a proper box would make would blow your mind.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

boon']

[quote name='QRAF said:

/quote]

No, it will sound like anus in a sealed box, the DDs are extremely stiff subs and need a ported box in order to actually get some meaningful excursion going on.

So basically my sony 600w amp/1200w max sub in standard repco style box isnt a great setup lulz. Sounds are complex? Ive always thought a respectable set of 6\'s, 6x9\'s and a 12" sub did the trick nicely. :D

There\'s nothing inherently wrong with that as a setup. But the difference a proper box would make would blow your mind.

Cant fit 6x9\'s as a bolt in mod or I would be so keen. 4x decent 6" as good as 6\'s + 6x9\'s? Roughly what size box like way bigger or more design/port? Bearing in mind I listen to eagles/dire/floyd and disturbed/3 days grace etc not dubcity.com or abba.

i listen to all sorted from metal to dubstep thats why i choose the 12" sub there was nothnig wrong with my sub i just bought that DD sub as it was a $1 reserve an i thought it would go for whey more than the $200 i had auto bid

• Admin
 evowrx']

[quote name='QRAF said:

/quote]

Cant fit 6x9\'s as a bolt in mod or I would be so keen. 4x decent 6" as good as 6\'s + 6x9\'s? Roughly what size box like way bigger or more design/port? Bearing in mind I listen to eagles/dire/floyd and disturbed/3 days grace etc not dubcity.com or abba.

6x9\'s generally suck balls.

Second important point is that when you go to a concert, do you turn your back to the stage? No. So why bother putting loud/good speakers in the very back of your car? I\'ve run some very nice sounding, very very loud cars with a big front setup and nothing in the rear.

Get some 6" components, run off an amp, and put some simple 5.25" coax speakers in the back running direct off the headunit if your backseat passengers demand a bit of fill.

I\'ve never played with those Sony subs much so hard to make a box recommendation. For the kind of music you listen to you would do well with a reasonably powerful 10" sub in a sealed box - Image Dynamics IDMax 10 springs to mind but is $$$.

• Admin
 QRAF said:

i listen to all sorted from metal to dubstep thats why i choose the 12" sub there was nothnig wrong with my sub i just bought that DD sub as it was a $1 reserve an i thought it would go for whey more than the $200 i had auto bid

It will sound like a bag of balls if it\'s both underpowered and in a shitty box. Underpowered in a good box is fine though.

DD\'s are magical. Tune the box to 40hz. Always works, every time.

http://www.ddaudio.com/support/dd-box

Do the 2 cube box. It will open your eyes.

so i lost the amp i thought i was buying as the guy kept it on trademe and it sold :(

i have the funds now, not that it matters :(

really gutted to be honest but owe well what would i of needed with 3600wrms (other than a fark load of power)

• Admin

Waste of time. It\'s just a good quality 12v AGM battery that will complicate your wiring situation and not do much to help you.

If you run it standalone you\'ll f*ck it in a short period by running it flat all the time. Batteries hate being run flat.

I had one of the old flat Jaycar amps, 2x150W rms. It went really well.

I\'m still using a E-Audio 480AB (6+ years), and I\'ve got a vintage Fusion FP-1000x (125Wx4) - back when their stuff was of acceptable quality. Both run a set of front comps and my 8" DD loaded enclosure.

I think I\'m getting too old for super loud/powerful audio systems, cut down from three amps to one.

bought a new fuse holder and 200amp fuse for it then some 0gauge reducers to 4gauge to fit the fuse for $62 from jaycar not sure if that was good or not but have the receipt

also bought 7m red an 5m black of 0 gauge 5843 strands for $240 just to have some spare ;D from a friend not sure if thats good price either

i\'m looking at a soundstream box today

thinking i might need some terminals to come to think of it then i\'ll try an install it all.

DSC_0837_zpswytaafto.jpg

got a pic of the cable and fuse and terminals

I wish i knew more about what i\'m doing so i can do it myself, but i just don\'t want to hook it up wrong and fark my amp i guess its the unknown

Guest hate-evoz

Sorry to hijack thread

but does anyone know what the best amp to get is :

for two 15" soundstream T4 subs

I have ordered a custom made sub box from a friend who makes custom boxes etc with ports etc etc But was wondering is it better to buy 2 amps? 1 amp per sub or 1 big amp.. Don\'t really have much cash to splash so something affordable and still do the job will be good?

Thanks in advance!

i buy or suss my deals from this facebook page

https://www.facebook.com/groups/109570779225174/

And i have know idea about sounds just learning myself but i\'d say go for one big amp as you have two 15" T4\'s as google says there a 1000wrms each so you\'ll need at least 2krms to power them.

i\'ve been told there is nothing worse than a under powered sub and then the box is the most important after

Guest hate-evoz

Thanks mate have asked to join. Yeah Im learning myself aswell. Gutted I never really was interested in loud sounds before so don\'t know anything about audio etc but Ive finally made up my mind to get into it so Im trying to get my car ready for the Automania SPL comp on april 6th.

Hoping two T4s will do the job lol

I\'ve asked around... one guy reckons. get two Sound Magnus DK1800 and one run amp per sub. But then another guys said don\'t waste my time with sound magnus and get one big comp amp.

I think I\'ll go for the one big amp idea lol

i broke my budget buying my amp a Rockford Fosgate T2500-1bd amplifier 3600RMS 1ohm but i see it as future proofing for anything else in the future i also have a spl box for my DD-3512e-2 which needs 1250wrms to power it.

now i have to wait for the glue to set and then get someone to install it for me for a box of beers or bourbon?

QRAF said:

i broke my budget buying my amp a Rockford Fosgate T2500-1bd amplifier 3600RMS 1ohm but i see it as future proofing for anything else in the future i also have a spl box for my DD-3512e-2 which needs 1250wrms to power it.

now i have to wait for the glue to set and then get someone to install it for me for a box of beers or bourbon?

The install is usually the easy part!

Drive it to Auckland and ill do it ;)

• Admin

Depends on the coil configuration of your subs B-MAGIC. If they\'re Dual 2\'s then you\'re better off with 2 smaller amps running at 1 ohm each... although personally I would wire them in series/parallel to get a 2 ohm total load then strap the amps (get strappable monoblocks...) so they see 1 ohm. This way you balance out any difference in the amps and ensure both subs see the same power.

If you have D4\'s so you can wire them down to 1 ohm (parallel-parallel) then get 1 big sucker of an amp. Trying to remember how much power those subs like... I think they go pretty well off about 2000wrms per sub for an SPL situation but they get pretty warm, quickly.

QRAF you\'re going to have to be careful with that sub, it\'ll take a shitload of power for a short time but if you\'re wanging on it with 3000wrms daily you\'ll cook the coils. We got that very same sub REAL hot with about 2400wrms on it playing music.

And a tip, though it\'s hard with a big amp... don\'t mount it to the box (unless your box is like 3" thick MDF) - the constant vibration is not good for them.

• Admin

To do it properly, you need an oscilloscope.

To do it the budget way, get a 50hz tone and a True RMS digital multimeter, set it to ACV, put it across the terminals of the amp, turn headunit to 85% then turn the gain up until you get 40VAC. This will give you 1600wrms if the sub is wired @ 1 ohm.

EDIT: But I\'m pretty damn sure that sub is a D4 so you\'ll be wiring for 2 ohms so the maths is a bit trickier.

Dam man sounds like i\'m in for some fun times i have 3600wrms on tap so i was thinking i wouldn\'t even warm it up with one sub.

i might take the amp down to treads and get matt to explain what all the buttons and knobs mean :)