Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Buying a BD5 as a project

syphe

Hi all,

I\'m looking at buying a BD5 RS legacy in the next year as a project once I\'ve built myself a car port around the back of my garage, but wondering if I can get some opinions from the fine clubsub folk as to what I should be looking out for and what to avoid.

Preferably after a 1996-1998 in white or yellow, manual.

I don\'t have many plans other than giving it a tidy, make it shine, and depending on the state of the engine/turbo rebuild and go single turbo.

My last project was an E30 BMW which I sold in order to buy a TV for our new house, I still regret selling that, but here we are :)

So, just a couple of questions, I\'m looking for cars in the ballpark of $2-3k, am I looking for trouble at this price range? From the looks of it most at this price have some rough body work and/or shagged turbo\'s or other unknown engine problems.

At that price range is it work getting a compression/leak down test done? I presume I\'ll probably have to strip it down anyway, but am I better off starting with something that is relatively in good order from the start?

Anything else to look for or avoid? Rust in odd places etc?

Appreciate the help.

evowrx said:

I see you mention single turbo so probably the one thing to avoid would be a legacy.

haha, yeah I know it\'s a bit dumb aye :)

Mainly just because I\'m quite tall and it has a bit more legroom than the impreza\'s, if I find one I\'ll likely keep it twin unless one of them dies.

cheers Rex, those are the years I was looking at, but mainly due to the fact I like the bumpers on the facelift ones, good to know it\'ll help out technically too.

If anything I\'d say aim for one of the later ones, the RS-B with the facelift & 17"s etc, they seem to resell a lot better... but finding one dirt cheap is another story.

I still have a pipe dream the same as yours, early RS running parallel or single with a cheap link or what have you. I just like them more than early wrxs\' visually and inside, shame they got short changed in the engine dept is all

That said, you can pick up a manual BE B4 for quite cheap too - keep your eyes open, you get a much nicer car going to the next shape up for very little $$ difference

yeah definitely after the facelift RS-B, my brother sold a white one with tan interior about 6 years ago in immaculate condition for far too cheap, so part of me is looking for one just like that hehe.

yeah had a look at the BE\'s as well, some of them go rather cheap. Will see what comes up, probably a while away from buying one anyway so will just keep my eyes peeled.

cheers for the responses guys, very helpful.

If you do go BD/BG, watch for rust. Mine has got it in anywhere that has been hit by gravel so round the guards for example. But also above the windscreen and round the sunroofs seem to be common spots too. And for a sedan I imagine they could have water pool in the boot and have potential rust? (I have a wagon, so dunno on this).

Other than that, get one with turbos that don\'t whine if possible and thrash it till it blows a bearing or turbo, then set it on fire!