Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

V7 2.5RS handling upgrades advice

Hi all

Just wanting a little advice on options for improving the handling on a sedan V7 2.5rs. One of the main reasons I bought the car over my previous car was for the comfortable ride. Aswell as this it really seemed like the car was on rails.

After driving the car quicker once I owned it I am finding it does have a ton of understeer. I am aware i can add strut braces and sway bars etc to help this but I have a couple of issues.

First I am not entirely sure what other versions/models of imprezas strut braces will fit. Will version 7 sti braces work, front and rear?

Secondly what sway bars will fit the car, and would upgrading the rear sway bar have a decent effect on reducing understeer?

Third I would like to maintain some level of comfortable ride. So not keen on super stiff adjustables or something. Nor am i keen on needing cert.

Please advise what options i have that would improve handling in particular understeer and reduce some of the body roll, while keeping ride quality as much as possible.

thanks in advance

Get a decent wheel alignment and some good tyres first. Then see if you can avoid the understeer by changing your driving style to suit the car.

If you really can't get used to it, stick a larger rear anti roll bar on it. You shouldn't need extra bracing, the v7 and up are pretty stiff.

as been said, tyres swaybar and v7 struts.

the rear swaybar from a v7 sti should fit, as its the same car basically, as will the struts. the sti struts are actually surprisingly soft, but sooooo much stiffer than the wrx stuff.

bigger swaybar in the back tightens up the body roll a bit, giving the car a more neutral feel as opposed to the front end push feeling

Im finding it quite hard to find some V7 sti struts, But thought I would mention my tire setup.

Its not my first choice but the car has two bridgestone MY02's on the front with 6mm tread. and one kingstar k106 on the left rear with a roadstone N3000 on the right rear.

The rear tires look like cheap rubbish tires and im not even sure its warrantable with two different tires on the rear.

The bridgestones on the front, from what I hear are fairly hard wearing tires, with less traction probably.

So Im thinking get rid of the cheap tires on the back put the MY02's on the back and get something better for the front.

What do people recommend as a decent tire for traction in front without breaking the bank. Willing to spend $220 max/tire.

• 2 weeks later...

hey does anyone know if the v7 wrx suspension will be an improvement on handling while slightly lowering the car? It was mentioned that sti struts would be good but there is a set of wrx struts on trademe, just not sure if they will be identical to my current suspension.

• Admin

They might be a little better but the STI pink struts are WAY better. I wouldn't bother with the faff of changing them over and getting a wheel alignment for the tiny improvement you'll get. Hold out for the real deal :)

this!!!

there is a difference between the n/a and wrx springs, and a night and day difference the wrx and sti stuff. keep looking, worth the wait!! find a set that are clunking, simple job of regreasing the housings to stop it, known problem that very few people actually know of lol