Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

E-Tunes

knockoutgiant

Evening guys,

A topic I've always been a little weary of and just wanted to get your guys opinions!

I'll assume most of you have heard of this before. Basically this is where you get someone to Email you a tune based on the mods you've done, you upload that to your ecu, gather some data, send it back to them and they tweak your tune untill it's just right!

Thoughts?

• Admin

A few have done cryotunes now. Everyone that gets them seems happy enough if you look through his vendor profile on legacygt.com

My stage 1 tune should be done in a few weeks

Some say the way he does it without an aftermarket wideband isn't quite as reliable but really your choice with regards to that.

With your situation having some mods already and tracking it from time to time it'd be worth looking into getting the subtech downpipe to maximise what you can get from the stock twinscroll before doing this, if funds allow of course.

Obviously you would need to buy a tactrix cable, think it was around $200 plus shipping for mine.

And download the needed free software. Tactrix website tells you all you need.

Have a quick Squizz through the first page or two of my garage thread, ptpixel(has stage 2 cryotune) was helping me sus out some of the software and the logging needed to get things going. Once you have it all running as it should it's basically a walk in the park

Andy_Mac said:
A few have done cryotunes now. Everyone that gets them seems happy enough if you look through his vendor profile on legacygt.com

My stage 1 tune should be done in a few weeks

Some say the way he does it without an aftermarket wideband isn't quite as reliable but really your choice with regards to that.

With your situation having some mods already and tracking it from time to time it'd be worth looking into getting the subtech downpipe to maximise what you can get from the stock twinscroll before doing this, if funds allow of course.

Obviously you would need to buy a tactrix cable, think it was around $200 plus shipping for mine.

And download the needed free software. Tactrix website tells you all you need.

Have a quick Squizz through the first page or two of my garage thread, ptpixel(has stage 2 cryotune) was helping me sus out some of the software and the logging needed to get things going. Once you have it all running as it should it's basically a walk in the park

I've got the downpipe sussed! Haven't gone with a subtech as I didn't really like the "no cat at all" idea. Shouldn't be more than a few weeks away (along with a custom mid-pipe).

I've got a Vagcom cable on it's way (apparently these work)and have downloaded a program that lets me see IAT's, boost, knock etc just for a little look!

Hows your tune coming along so far? You're liking it I assume?

Just thought it'd be safer getting an E-tune with the aftermarket intake and turbo-back exhaust rather than running them on the stock tune that's all.

• Admin

What dowpipe did you end up getting?? Pickings are pretty slim for the twinscrolls aye. Was looking round for a while but didn't really find any that weren't horrendously priced jap ones other than the subtech.

What program is that?

Nothing to really say about it yet. Only got the base map so far which shouldn't really be driven hard on, basically his first guess at the tune. Need to send him a 15min casual/typical driving log before the first power revision is done.

Yea definitely needed for the turbo back, you'd probably see some pretty big boost spikes without it.

Cryo did mine last year, it was his first JDM twin scroll, and I can't fault the results at all.

I have a subtech downpipe, with a cat welded in straight after.

Biggest thing is all the torque I now get before boost kicks in, makes it way more drivable, and boost holds alot flatter up top so doesn't feel like it runs out of puff as soon.

If you can't find a private road to do your logging on, you could try hit up your local speedway. I did all my logging at Ruapuna here during there twice a week testing days, $20 for half an hour let me jump on the track get some logging done then get back to work within the hour.

Another option is Kido over in Aus, who is a bit more expensive but has more experience on our market cars.

Also gotasuby on the forums here fro CHCH may be able to do some e-tuning for you.

Andy_Mac said:
What dowpipe did you end up getting?? Pickings are pretty slim for the twinscrolls aye. Was looking round for a while but didn't really find any that weren't horrendously priced jap ones other than the subtech.

What program is that?

You'll have to wait for it to pop up on my build thread ;)

It's called "Learning View". Got it from an aussie Legacy forum.

It'd probably be going with Cryo aswell, I've only heard good things about his tunes!

I'm in Levin. Been to Speedtech but they can't reflash the JDM ECU's and I don't know any other reputable tuners around the Wellington area.... :S

• Admin

Yea learning view is helpful but pretty limited, needed for tuners to get a idea of your engimes health though. Will only ever tell you what general changes the ecu has made to keep the engine happy. It'll be interesting to see whether your intake has caused it to make any changes.

Romraider is the good one for logging and then open the log file in virtualdyno to see what everything is doing more clearly. Even 2nd gear pulls will tell you quite a bit, and keeps it mostly legal on public roads (;

• Admin

What did you put when it asked what type of ecu/vehicle you have? With mine i chose what i thought was the obvious choice but it turned out it wasn't. It needed to be the subaru can option.

Edit: that vehicle type stuff is for exuflash not romraider or learning view.

There will definately be a way to make it work!! Without the correct definition file romraider won't be able to do anything.

Have you made sure your ecu model code is in the romraider definition file. With that i also had to go try find the file as it wasn't in the standard definition file.

When you connect to the car in romraider down the bottom right hand side does it have you ecu number?

Should be a number similar to this A2UG00K (my one) should show cal id and ecu id. If you can get those it'd make finding the definition file you need much easier. Romraider should show this whether you have the correct definitions or not.

Everything you need will be on the romraider forum but it is a bit of a mess to be honest.

Edited by Andy_Mac

Might be able to make it to Palmy this weekend Kiwi, give me a PM and we can talk about it.

I'm not quite sure what the ECU number was, I couldn't even begin to get it to work so I handed it to my brother (the geek of the family :P) and he got that far.... Might give it another try a bit later on in the week when I have some time.

• Admin

Yea should be just a matter of hooking up the cable with the ignition to 'on' and opening romraider. Whether it wants to do any more or not it'll always show the two numbers down the bottom right. If you get that chuck them on here and we can have a look through the program to see what else you need.

Having a bit of a walk through the steps in person with kwi_fozze is probably the most beneficial for you if problem solving computer/program issues isn't really your thing.

• 9 months later...

Hey there, anyone keen to rent / lend me there 2.0 cable? I am on the shore. I want to get a cryo tune done, but need to pull a base map and send to him, to make sure my ecu can be matched. I have a jdm 2007 forester xt , ej207. cheers